[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should i spend my money and time in this book?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: 5290-square-1536.jpg (3 MB, 1536x1536) Image search: [Google]
5290-square-1536.jpg
3 MB, 1536x1536
Should i spend my money and time in this book?
>>
Money, yes. Time, no.
>>
No redeeming qualities, the book
>>
>>8146343
what
>>
>>8146348
It's for appearances.
>>
>>8146342
I've heard it's better in Spanish. Should I get the Spanish edition if I took the language for 4 years in high school but haven't used it in the past 7 years since I graduated?
>>
>>8146342
Bolano's excess attracts but flows away.

The book needed to be completely rewritten (he died) and you're probably reading a translation of that. 1000 pages

He is the product of smart American publishing marketing towards 20 somethings and nothing more.
>>
>>8146371
>I've heard it's better in Spanish
Did you hear that in English?
I've heard Ulysses is better in Portuguese. In French naturally.
>>
>>8146375
You're an idiot.
>>
>>8146377
says the monoglot
>>
>>8146371
yes.
reminder that the cunt who translated it don't even knew there were puns in the text.
>>
>>8146377
Your*
>>
File: epcCV0z.jpg (35 KB, 453x500) Image search: [Google]
epcCV0z.jpg
35 KB, 453x500
>>8146375
>>8146377
>>
File: 1463110099940.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1463110099940.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
>>8146344
You could post the exact same shit in any other thread and nothing would happen
>>
>>8146373
>He is the product of smart American publishing marketing towards 20 somethings and nothing more.

Exactly the sort of unearned arrogance, pseudo intellectualism, and reductionist memery that makes /lit/ completely useless to actual readers.

To answer your question, OP, in admittedly dumbed down chanspeak, if you're curious what S1 of True Detective would have been like written by a maximalist Borges, then yes, you might like it. Many find it a tough slog, particularly the "Part about the Crimes" but I can't think of anything that captures the mass effects (moral and emotional neutering, vocational specializing but psychological scattering) of our times any better.
>>
Im a native Spanish speaker, reading the book in Spanish, currently on page ~600. It was very entertaining up until the crimes. Then it became dry report after dry report of "this factory female worker was found dead. She was anally and vaginally raped, and death was by strangulation.."
He does a great job with the maximalist technique and it's not as grueling as IJ(imo). I appreciate the monotone aspect of the crimes part. He wants me to think "ugh another dead person", as in demeaning the value of a life. It's slowly picking up though.
Also, it's a fairly easy read and I can fall asleep with this comfy book about dead raped women :^)

I recommend it, but, patience is key OP.
>>
I would recommend the Savage Detectives first. It's way more lighthearted and polished, so it will make you better understand what Bolaño is going for in his works without jumping straight into anal and vaginal rape.

Also, while most people on /lit/ don't usually agree, I think it's his best book. Specially the second part (the interviews) is IMO the best thing Bolaño ever wrote
>>
>>8146342
This is one of my favorite books, I've read both the original and the translation. Absolutely recommend it
>>
>>8146343
you. i like you.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.