[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: kant.jpg (16 KB, 225x300) Image search: [Google]
kant.jpg
16 KB, 225x300
I've read two of Kant's shorter works, and would decide on reading Critique of Pure Reason depending on how intrigued I was with the work after reading Korner's introduction on him.

It turns out that Kant's really among the most difficult writers I've ever read: I had a hard time reading Prolegomena and Groundwork, and even with Korner's lucid prose, Kant is still difficult to penetrate.

What are your thoughts on Kant?
>>
The guy has a huge fucking forehead
>>
Read the SEP article on him and then get acquainted with his terms, not that hard. Prolegomena is basically CoPR-lite.
>>
that the philosophical community describes understanding in terms of penetrating into someone elses ideas instead of accepting, enveloping, and integrating them reeks of phallogocentrism
>>
>>8145855
I've taken kinda the same road but I've resorted to taking notes on it which I feel has helped me a great deal. I have mostly an amateur understanding of philosophy but have some knowledge of Kant's influences. I read Prolegomena and a range of his lecture notes before trying Critique PR so I'm hoping that will be sufficient, do you have a background in philosophy? Also will I be unable to fully comprehend Critique PR without some background in philosophy? Difficult as it is I don't feel like it ought to be completely out of reach, as the man had built a fairly unique system
>>
>>8145909
No, I have no background in philosophy, especially because aside from my basic Philo subjects, I graduated as a Biology major, and then Doctor of Medicine. I just admired Kant's organization with regard to his ethics (Groundwork was great), but I'm thinking CoPR will be far too challenging and unenjoyable for me.

(I read to learn, but mostly for enjoyment.)

Maybe you could ask other /lit/izens. I read more fiction, really.
>>
>>8145909
fairly unique is all relative though, I'm aware he was widely influenced by (and married) ideas that preceded him
>>
Kant has been staring at me ominously in my local mediocre library for awhile. The introduction seems quite enlightened. But here I am, surrounded by children and people with down syndrome. Kant, this intelligent fellow, seems out of reach. Why should I bother if I am lumpenproletariat scum? What is there to gain from the Konigsbergian gentleman?

btw, does anyone have pictures of Kaliningrad today? I'm curious how Russia treats the city today.

t. last anglo-saxon in America
>>
Kant? Or won't?
>>
>>8146113

kill

your

self
>>
>>8145855
He's hard.

I love his Critique of Judgment by his CoPR is a real bitch to get through. I would recommend using online guides/public uni library to aid your understanding
>>
he defined the metaphysical and ethical philosophy of the entire west up til this day. the whole analytic and continental scene is just the prelude to returning to Kant.
>>
>>8146113
The city got obliterated during the Soviet push towards Germany. It doesn't exist anymore and there's only commie blocks now
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.