[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Apologize.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: 1424402606660.jpg (257 KB, 1222x575) Image search: [Google]
1424402606660.jpg
257 KB, 1222x575
Apologize.
>>
Infinite Jest is a legitimately good read
Ulysses is tryhard wankery
Thomas Pynchon irritates me
>>
>>8144388
Found the pleb
>>
>>8144388
this is Bait. nice try though. almost got me
>>
I´m currently reading Ulysses, very hard for me to grasp whats going on!
Is it just for the prose or is the plot relevant in any way?
>>
>>8144388
>dubs
>worst opinion

If b8 then pretty good, made me mad desu.
>>
>>8144388
I agree with this, except for the Infinite Jest being good part. Read page to page, it's just barely coherent and hardly entertaining. Read deeper, it's nowhere near as rewarding as a book of that length should be.
>>
I will own all those books one day.
It will be the shittiest meme trilogy lit has ever seen!
Wordsworth ulysses,translated GR,and the cheapest IJ.
Imagine it!
>>
>>8144379
>the meme trinity
>>
>>8144731
>translated GR
what?
anyways, get the misprinted penguin edition
>>
File: 1460525114476.png (657 KB, 719x1125) Image search: [Google]
1460525114476.png
657 KB, 719x1125
>>8144996
It's available in several languages. Though really, I wish wordsworth was printing it with a cover like pic related. I already have a better copy but I'd by that one just as a novelty item.
>>
>>8144379
Good to have you back, son.
>>
>>8145121
It's not even in the right order and he didn't post the one with the traditional autistic put downs of each book.
>>
>>8144407
the plot is very mundane in terms of the linear sequence of events.

there are, of course general parallels to the Odyssey in the thematic undertones that parody or recontextualize the hero's journey or the notion of the epic, but more than that there is a very complex portrait to be put together as you begin to understand who Bloom and Stephen are, their backgrounds and their personalities, and the ways they may relate to one another.

there is obviously the Odysseus/Telemachus theme and the Hamlet/ghost dad theme that are more literary, but at the core Bloom is trying to grapple with the existential meaning of his life in the face of his dead son Rudy and Stephen is looking for a personal/national/existential/heroic paternal presence against which to react and through which to contextualize his sense of having had his natural identity usurped

it's a really complex and at times quite touching/awkward/tragic relationship they are pursuing through one another as they repeatedly pass and slowly work their presence into the psyche each other
>>
File: mickey-rooney-01.jpg (22 KB, 300x363) Image search: [Google]
mickey-rooney-01.jpg
22 KB, 300x363
>>8144388

IJ is the least justified entry on the meme trilogy, Ulysses and GR are wholly deserving of monolith status.
>>
File: image.png (710 KB, 1044x495) Image search: [Google]
image.png
710 KB, 1044x495
>>8145139
Suck a dick, partner.
>>
>>8145448
You first, fag ;^)
>>
>>8145100
w2c pig costume?
>>
I'm on chapter 16 of Ulysses and im getting kind of bored. It seems like the chapter is just giving more of the same and it lacks the fun (gimmicks) of the previous chapters. Does anyone feel this way or should I just get smarter
>>
>>8145725
i think at this part it gets as sad as it was funny
>>
>>8144379
does somebody know the font of GR cover?
>>
File: tumblr_m4lkp1cUaI1qa42jro1_500.jpg (76 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m4lkp1cUaI1qa42jro1_500.jpg
76 KB, 500x334
>>8145725
Ithica and Penelope are two of the best chapters in the book Eumaeus is one of the worst/most forgettable, Circe is a very difficult, sprawling chapter and Oxen is one of the toughest in the whole book

really you are just over the end-of-the-book-hump that begins after Nausicca, once you hit Ithica it is all downhill and gets really good again, you should absolutely keep going
>>
Have more people read Ulysses than GR? I tend to see reasonably informed Ulysses discussion but anytime someone wants to talk about GR the responses are usually "banana LOL also penises!!!"
>>
DON'T EVER READ MY OR MY WIFE'S BOOKS EVER AGAIN
>>
>>8145951
People that haven't read Ulysses still generally respect it. People that haven't read GR shitpost about it wildly.

Pynchon is a truly amazing writer and it's unfortunate that discussion about him is stifled by the memes here. On The other hand, the memes are funny sometimes, so it is a trade-off. I'm excited to see Gass reaching a similar point these days because desu he fits the Pynchon memes better than Pynchon does.
>>
Out with his eyes?
>>
>>8146048
Yeah, I've read TCoL49, V, GR, and am in the process of reading M&D and I absolutely love Pynchon. The praise he gets is entirely deserved. I will agree that some of the shitposting about him is humorous, but some discussion would be nice...
I haven't read any Gass. I have In the Heart of the Heart of the Countrt but I've yet to read it. I'll read him someday. The weird and gimmicky formatting of some of The Tunnel is a major turn off to me, frankly.
>>
>>8146072
Try Omensetter's luck. The first couple chapters of it completely sold me on Gass.
>>
>>8144388
first post is always a pleb
>>
>>8144731
are you a walking meme
>>
>>8145951
Pynchon is easier to meme than Joyce.

Sometimes you'll find fantastic threads regarding GR. When I finished reading the book, I posted a thread regarding the understanding of GR and there were a lot of informative and interesting discussion points/interpretations, as well as people sharing their favourite moments. A fair few have read GR on here, but many also seem to only know it as that one book with the poopy eating and banana breakfasts, even though those are a very, very small portion of the book.
>>
>>8147426
Banana breakfast is mentioned in one episode like 15 pages deep
>>
File: marilyn-monroe-ulysses-2.jpg (189 KB, 804x910) Image search: [Google]
marilyn-monroe-ulysses-2.jpg
189 KB, 804x910
>>8144379
Meme since '55
>>
>>8147600
Her expression captures the feeling of reading that book perfectly
>>
>>8145725
Slog through Eumaeus, anon. Ithaca and Penelope are both more than worth it.
>>
>>8144407
>Is it just for the prose or is the plot relevant in any way?

It's not "just" for the prose (Leopold Bloom is a beautiful character), but that's what makes Ulysses so famous. The way Joyce plays with an encyclopedia of form.
>>
>>8145725
Eumaeus is by far the worst chapter of the novel, by design since Joyce deliberately wrote it to be exhausting for the reader. The next chapter, however, Ithaca, is the best in the novel. Incredible.
>>
>>8144436
>just barely coherent
Are you dyslexic? Autistic? There's something going on in your brain that ain't right.
>>
>>8149295
>by design since Joyce deliberately wrote it to be exhausting for the reader.
the absolute madman
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.