[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Most beautiful sentences in the English language
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 4
File: DFW.jpg (150 KB, 529x692) Image search: [Google]
DFW.jpg
150 KB, 529x692
“This sentence has five words. Here are five more words. Five-word sentences are fine. But several together become monotonous. Listen to what is happening. The writing is getting boring. The sound of it drones. It’s like a stuck record. The ear demands some variety. Now listen. I vary the sentence length, and I create music. Music. The writing sings. It has a pleasant rhythm, a lilt, a harmony. I use short sentences. And I use sentences of medium length. And sometimes, when I am certain the reader is rested, I will engage him with a sentence of considerable length, a sentence that burns with energy and builds with all the impetus of a crescendo, the roll of the drums, the crash of the cymbals–sounds that say listen to this, it is important.”
― Gary Provost
>>
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
>>
>>8143751
>actually thinking "words" are metrical units
>>
>>8143751
cringed
>>
>>8143751
Beautiful, but do not post things that are beautiful here less you wish to engage 17 yos.
>>
>>8144247
I do wish to engage 17 year olds
>>
>Say what you will, the sun is pagan. It says “Yea” to life. In its glorious rays it is ridiculously easy to forget the alleged beauties of another world. Under its scorching heat the snaky sinuousness of a basking cat seems more seductive than the image of a winged angel, and amid the gold it lavishes, nothing looks more loathsome, more repulsive, than the pale cheek of pious ill—health. In short it urges man and woman to a wanton enjoyment of life and their fellows; it recalls to them their relationship to the beasts of the field and the birds in the trees; it fills them with a careless thirst and hunger for the chief pastimes of these animals,–feeding, drinking, and procreation; and the more “exalted” practices of self—abnegation, self—sacrifice, and the mortification of the flesh, are easily forgotten in such a mood.
>>
File: ixmR1Mr.jpg (219 KB, 1628x717) Image search: [Google]
ixmR1Mr.jpg
219 KB, 1628x717
>>8144214
>>
>>8144214
That's actually quite difficult to read because your brain wants to reorganise the words.
>>
>>8144313
meant for
>>8144296
>>
>>8144265
I hate the sun. It negates my mind and my will to live. It makes me want to kill myself; no, it makes me want to wait for death or sundown, whichever should come first. It does indeed dry up any shred of self-abnegation I might have--with that I agree. It turns me into a cold, coarse-minded creature focused on survival and escape: stray between me and the promise of shade and I just might dispatch you Meursault-style.
>>
>>8143751
It is honestly disgusting.
>>
>>8144296
This is the Finnegans Wake of 4chan posts.
>>
>>8143751
How is this beautiful? This is just a barely clever textbook text.
>>
>>8144254
17 year olds will not learn like this. They need to be beaten down before they even appreciate their life (neets if they are too clever for societys methods for doing so).

Try asking them what they wish they had known a year ago, and how it appeared to them before they did. Slowly, they will realize their discontent as worthless and a fault of their own.

Tldr: this is clever only if you appreciate it. 4chan is 17 yos that dont hence they wont get anything out of this but ego.
>>
“[...]the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes “Awww!”

― Jack Kerouac, On the Road
tags: freethinker, inspirational, mad Read more quotes from Jack Kerouac
>>
Pa. Why are eggs breakfast?

What.

You can put bacon on lunch.

Ye.

But if you put eggs on stuff it becomes breakfast?

The man spat and said the eggs are not for this world or from this world they come from the chicken but the chicken knows it not.

He wiped his chin and spat.
>>
>>8144296
It reads like a draft of a Hart Crane poem in prose.
>>
"Inside, the crimson room bloom with light"

Perfect
>>
>Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.
>>
>>8146442
Agreed
>>
yo, dang ol' eggs, man. breakfast foods. never not gonna have no chicken curry for breakfast dang ol' hooh-hah, man.
>>
>>8144254
Hey im 19 yo
>>
The final stanza of Frost at Midnight by Coleridge:

Therefore all seasons shall be sweet to thee,
Whether the summer clothe the general earth
With greenness, or the redbreast sit and sing
Betwixt the tufts of snow on the bare branch
Of mossy apple-tree, while the nigh thatch
Smokes in the sun-thaw; whether the eave-drops fall
Heard only in the trances of the blast,
Or if the secret ministry of frost
Shall hang them up in silent icicles,
Quietly shining to the quiet Moon.
>>
There was me, that is Alex, and my three droogs, that is Pete, Georgie, and Dim, Dim being really dim, and we sat in the Korova Milkbar making up our rassoodocks what to do with the evening, a flip dark chill winter bastard though dry.
>>
From Blood Meridian:

The way of the world is to bloom and to flower and die but in the affairs of men there is no waning and the noon of his expression signals the onset of night
>>
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I have favourites.
{
I have no need to thwart my inclinations in order to flatter some god; these instincts were given me by Nature, and it would be to irritate her were I to resist them; if she gave me bad ones, that is because they were necessary to her designs. I am in her hands but a machine which she runs as she likes, and not one of my crimes does not serve her: the more she urges me to commit them, the more of them she needs; I should be a fool to disobey her. Thus, nothing but the law stands in my way, but I defy the law, my gold and my prestige keep me well beyond reach of those vulgar instruments of repression which should be employed only upon the common sort."
}
>>
>>8143751

Ezra has his moments.
>>
Light and Limpid green a second scene a flight between the blue you once knew, floating down the sound resounds surrounds the icy waters underground.
>>
>>8146533

not great as literature or philosophy.
Blake (among others) said it better.
>>
>>8146524
You could pick literally any line from that book. The whole thing is pure poetry.
>>
>>8146533
The message might be pretty edgy but I love the delivery: sincere, confident and clear.

>>8146574
>Blake (among others) said it better
Could I get some references or quotes?
>>
aestheticism is the opiate of the plebs
>>
>>8146640
hm, i guess s/he likely means the marriage of heaven and hell

>The Voice of the Devil

>All Bibles or sacred codes have been the causes of the following Errors:—
>1. That Man has two real existing principles, viz. a Body and a Soul.
>2. That Energy, call’d Evil, is alone from the Body; and that Reason, call’d Good, is alone from the Soul.
>3. That God will torment Man in Eternity for following his Energies.
>But the following Contraries to these are True:—
>1. Man has no Body distinct from his Soul; for that call’d Body is a portion of Soul discern’d by the five Senses, the chief inlets of Soul in this age.
>2. Energy is the only life, and is from the Body; and Reason is the bound or outward circumference of Energy.
>3. Energy is Eternal Delight.
>>
>>8144296
This is true topkek
>>
>>8146503
I liked this book
>>
>>8144423
Why would they get "ego" out of the beauty of a sentence someone else wrote? Beauty, for me at least, has much more of a humbling effect.
>>
>>8144241
>stop liking things that I don't like
>>
>>8146665

yup that's what I was referring to.
sorry about your missed quads.
>>
>There would have been a lake. There would have been an arbor in flame-flower. There would have been nature studies—a tiger pursuing a bird of paradise, a choking snake sheathing whole the flayed trunk of a shoat. There would have been a sultan, his face expressing great agony (belied, as it were, by his molding caress), helping a callypygean slave child to climb a column of onyx. There would have been those luminous globules of gonadal glow that travel up the opalescent sides of juke boxes. There would have been all kinds of camp activities on the part of the intermediate group, Canoeing, Coranting, Combing Curls in the lakeside sun. There would have been poplars, apples, a suburban Sunday. There would have been a fire opal dissolving within a ripple-ringed pool, a last throb, a last dab of color stinging red, smarting pink, a sigh, a wincing child.
>>
Sunset found her squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up she was shitting brown water. The more she drank, the more she shat, but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew, and her thirst sent her crawling to the stream to suck up more water.
>>
>>8146442
the tense seemed wrong.
>rooms
>bloomed
pick one.
>>
>>8146559
flowery grammatical errors aren't poetry.
>>
>>8144231
...They are measurable units... what?
>>
>>8143751
Gross
>>
>>8144296
I like how the person being addressed is "fucking dead kids", but the author is their "dead fucking kiddo"
>>
>>8144231
this
it literally only *barely* works because he's using the same words and rearranges them, i.e. there's a same number of syllables.
>>
>>8148113
Yeah, my bad. I was falling asleep and misremembered it.
>>
isn't "cellar door" suppose to be the most beautiful word/phrase in the English language?
>>
>>8146407
>exploding like spiders
>>
Not quite beautiful, but so evocative:

>A coughball of laughter leaped from his throat dragging after it a rattling chain of phlegm.
>>
>>8143751
For anyone saying this isnt that good, please write something objectively better. Right here and now. If this isn't great, it should not take you much effort to create a throwaway concept that trumps it.
>>
>>8148953
That's enough Donnie Darko for you.
>>
Posting this really just for the ending, but it's beauty and significance relies on the previous sentences building to it. If you want additional context, this is narration by a soldier who has lost all four limbs, his eyes, nose, mouth, and ears in combat.

"Things began slowly to change to go in wide hazy circles to dissolve into one another. It seemed that he was relaxing in every muscle of his body relaxing in his brain. The bed
felt softer than it had ever been before. The pillow at the back of his head was like a pillow of cloud. The covers across his stomach and chest were covers of silk of cobweb of soft warm air. There was nothing below him nor above him nor to his right nor to his left. His skin went limp and lazy against his flesh and even his blood seemed at rest not pumping through his heart any more but lying warm and liquid and still in his veins.
And yet in the midst of this enormous quiet there was movement. This perfectly still thing which was him his body and his mind was moving slowly through a windless world. Only it wasn't the world. It was simply space a kind of glowing space through which he was moving whether slowly or rapidly he couldn't tell because there was no air to stir at his passing. It was the kind of motion a star must make a star without atmosphere or life as it completes its steady circle through nothingness."

-- Dalton Trumbo, Johnny Got His Gun
>>
>>8149581
Is that where its from? I remember my college professor started talking about cellar door
>>
>>8146645
Oh yeah? Well tell me what isn't? Continental Philosophy?
>>
>>8149581
It's a good movie, and it references Graham Greene, so that makes it auto-patrish.
>>
>>8149853
I feel continental philosophy would largely disagree with that plotfags opinion.
>>
>>8149511
this sentence has three words. i just lied to you. woah, that's like, ary, man. did you see how i just misspelled art? wouldn't it be cool if i misspelled misspelled? that would be, like, a statement, you know. anyway uh look at the words in this paragraph here. don't you think it looks pretty or something? haha. dude i'm like stoned right now and i just started writing this cause i thought it would be cool. i feel like a fuckin literary mastermind right now. i could probably just pump out a 300 page novel right now. dude did you notice how i analyzed this paragraph in the paragraph? i mean in this paragraph haa. *snort* dude like this paragraph is really beautiful. anyway i think i'm gonna have a string of two word sentences now lmao. hey man. what's up?? not much! alright then. come on. where to? new york. sounds great. wanna go? think so. why not? pretty much. wanna eat? eat what? sushi rolls. what place? sushi place. sounds good.
>>
>The true alchemists do not change lead into gold; they change the world into words.
>>
>>8143751
Curious what you guys think about this one (slightly edited).

Once more into the fray.
Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
Live and die on this day.
Live and die on this day.
Once more into the fray.
>>
>He speaks in your voice, American, and there's a shine in his eye that's halfway hopeful.

I don't even really know how to pinpoint what it is about this sentence that makes it so powerful but fuck it's so good.
>>
>>8149935

Three elements:
The accusatory tone (particularly because America is a 'rebel nation' traditionally), which is the same thing that gives pronouncements from God their inherent poetic potency.

The image of the shine in the eye.

And most importantly, the alliterative, Shakespearen phrasing of 'halfway hopeful.' What really impresses you here is the heritage of Shakespeare. For Shakespeare's greatest neologisms work by ratios, science, metaphysics. In Shakespeare, things are selfsame; people have not youths but salad days. So it is with the concept of halfway hope.

Anyway that's my explanation.
>>
>>8149935
Why does DeLillo have to be so inconsistent?
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 343x315) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 343x315
>>8149889
>>
>>8149935
This is DeLillo? He has one sentence in White Noise that I really like for its alliteration.

"It was the time of year, the time of day, for a small insistent sadness to pass into the texture of things."
>>
>>8150052
Yes it's DeLillo, it's the opening sentence to Underworld.
>>
Two options from the same book:

>E'erawhere in this whorl would ye hear sich a din again?

and

>He addle liddle phifie Annie ugged the little craythur.
>>
>>8150070
>>He addle liddle phifie Annie ugged the little craythur.

Are you me? I reread this particular sentence over and again like 50 times in FW.
>>
>>8150080
It's the sentence that has stood out for me the most so far (on page 70) by a long shot

It's so perfectly layered, like how "Annie" is both his wife's name and is being used as "and he," or how "craythur" both sounds like "creature" and is Irish slang for whiskey

It took me like 10 minutes to fully feel ready to move on from that sentence when I first read it.

god DAMN am I in love with this book, anon
>>
>>8150085
It's a fun read, that's for sure.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.