[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Drunkposter here. I finally finished it. Great book. Did the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 9780140187083-us-300.jpg (31 KB, 300x480) Image search: [Google]
9780140187083-us-300.jpg
31 KB, 300x480
Drunkposter here. I finally finished it. Great book.

Did the ending remind anyone else of the way Gravity's Rainbow ended? It wasn't exactly the same, but there were certain similarities
>>
>>8142937
That cover is fucking hideous.
>>
>>8142937
which did u like better overall lad? GR or recognitions
>>
have u red the tunnel by gassman? very good buk if u like rekognitzion and gravitei rabou
>>
look at meme, I'm posting it, so rad
>>
>>8142940
It's a painting from the 50s.

https://www.brooklynmuseum.org/opencollection/objects/2101/The_Mellow_Pad

I actually think it suits the book pretty well. It almost looks like a really convoluted kind of stained glass too which is appropriate.

Though it really doesn't matter because I don't think this edition is even in print anymore and my copy was from some guy in the midwest who just had one lying around.
>>
>>8142964
It's really hard to choose between the two. Gravity's Rainbow edges it out very slightly for me if only because Pynchon's take on that style of ending was more intense.
>>
>>8142937
I liked how completely Franzen misunderstood the book in his godawful "Mr. Difficult" essay. What a fucking hack.
>>
>>8142937
oh hey buddy drunkposter. ltns. i wish i could finish this already, so i can lord it over the plebs. nah i kid. were you satisfied with it?
>>
oh, and i realized, that url i linked in regards to gaddis' interview, i linked something completely different, and would like to offer you the correct url, as recompense for my disastrous fuckup.

http://www.theparisreview.org/interviews/2577/the-art-of-fiction-no-101-william-gaddis

read at least a little, it's good. i'm sure you'll know when to quit if you want to ensure that not too much of any of his works are spoiled.
>>
>>8143055
Yes. I really enjoyed it. Even the retreading of things from the first two parts of the book to show the recursive pattern near the end was handled well. That's the sort of thing a lesser author could have easily flubbed.

If that Paris Review interview is anything like Nabokov's I'm sure it'll be worth reading, but I'll wait till I read Carpenter's Gothic and get a copy of JR first. I don't know if this is true, but I saw on this one site that Dalkey's next printing of it will ship this December. Thanks for telling me about the interview though.
>>
>>8142975
I agree, it really suits the story.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.