[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it any good? Seems like an interesting plot, but do I need
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
Is it any good? Seems like an interesting plot, but do I need to start with earlier pynchon? I also read that Gaddis' work had some influence on this, should I read recognitions first?
>>
>>8142847
this is actually the perfect place to start with pynchon.... basically a diluted does of his antics
>>
>>8142847
>pynchon
>good
>>
>>8142862
>diluted does
>>
>>8142847
It's a very good book. Suitable for first-time Pynchon readers and long-time fans alike.
>>
>>8142870
stick to hitchhikers guide
>>
Just finished reading it. Many laughs to be had if you've ever smoked weed and have experience of drug culture. So many great scenes with Bigfoot and Doc.I've never read other detective novels but there was a lot of investigative dialogue to take in. That's not a complete turnoff though and I would read it again.
>Diluted dose
Very true. I want to read gravity's rainbow to get the full dose now.
>>
>>8142962
it's pleb, but better than pynchon
>>
>>8142847
You could start with it, but V. is better. Though Gaddis is great too, and there's a lot of him in Pynchon's early books so reading The Recognitions is fine too.
>>
Crying of Lot 49 is best to start with.
>>
Are the Real Estate Guy and Doc the same people? He was just deluded and being led around by people fucking with him. They mention something about trying to put him away because he was losing it, the old man Wolfman. I felt Doc was also Bigfoots ex-partner too.
>>
>>8142998
No Wolfman and Bigfoot are brothers. And Puck Beaverton is Doc's spiritual advisor I think.
>>
>>8142998
>>8143010
What a load of hooey.
>>
I enjoyed the read, but it's absolutely one of his easier reads. It's not some sort of big metaphysical question raising masterpiece or anything, but it's a well written novel. It's like a John Carpenter movie, technically impressive, great atmosphere and tone, a little bit (okay, quite a bit) of politics, but not some sort of formalistic adventure. Would recommend, 7.5/10.
>>
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 600x656) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 600x656
>>8142847
>OP hasn't heard of the pussy eater special
>>
>>8142847
>I also read that Gaddis' work had some influence on this, should I read recognitions first?
Nope, just the Wikipedia page on this book, which you've already done
>>
>>8142847
inherent vice is much easier to read than earlier pynchons/gaddis. go ahead and start there.
>>
I've bought it soon after PTA announced he was making a film based on it. It's a really fun book, quite different from early Pynchon.
>>
>>8142972
hahahah
>>
>>8143996
not OP but reading Recognition's wiki page really confused me because it made me think that Wyatt's dad was the main character for like 5 hours
>>
File: Diogenes.jpg (232 KB, 834x1285) Image search: [Google]
Diogenes.jpg
232 KB, 834x1285
It's outta sight
>>
>>8145032
The arguments. The facts. The charisma. I'm convinced.
>>
>>8143996
ur a cheeky cunt m8 ill give u tht
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.