[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gravity's Rainbow
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: tumblr_ls4s6jPxUd1qgllp5o1_500.jpg (38 KB, 500x342) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ls4s6jPxUd1qgllp5o1_500.jpg
38 KB, 500x342
I got the meme book gravity's rainbow and was looking on the internet for info about it and it turns out pynchon was mentioned on the simpsons a few times. This impressed me, at first, because I like the simpsons but then I learned that all the references were made after the show turned to trash. Should I still read it, knowing that the hack, later period, simpsons writers like it? More importantly, I got the penguin's classic version, do the errors really make a difference?
>>
>>8142844
The last two season's of the simpsons are a return to form
>>
>>8142844
Which penguin classics edition? The one with the black and white meme cover? The errors were supposedly fixed in later printings.
>>
>>8142848
I've heard this opinion a few times but...it can't possibly be true.
>>
>>8142844
The Penguins Deluxe edition of Gravity's Rainbow might be a little bit more ex(pens)ive, but it's worth it, trust me. At least if you get this edition, you won't have to ask for recom(pens)e after buying it. It's a truly indis(pens)able edition because of all the corrections in it.
>>
>>8142853
Barthood is one of their best episodes ever
Mr. Burns as "The Fruit Bat Man" is amazing
They're even approaching technology in ways that show they're capable of mocking it while embracing it

Also that one episode styled after Totoro was pretty fun
>>
I bought the "Gravity's Rainbow (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition)," which was the first result on amazon when searching for "gravity's rainbow." Just got it in the mail so I assume if the errors were fixed in later editions, like was mentioned earlier in this thread, that I got one with no errors, unless they had such a big stock of older editions. I guess what I'm asking is if there's a lot of them and if they matter too much. I've heard people on here mention to avoid this edition while others say that it's no big deal. I guess I'll just google it.
>>
File: 1456960748870.gif (1 MB, 374x352) Image search: [Google]
1456960748870.gif
1 MB, 374x352
>>8142858
They fixed that shit btw
>>
>>8143061

tyson! my favorite meme scientist, thanks for posting him so i can remember a good old meme.
>>
>>8142844
what episode is this?
>>
>>8142848
In the s27 finale Lisa says Kafkaesque.
>>
I'm a hundred pages off finishing Gravity's Rainbow. It's been a wild, fantastic ride. The 3rd section dragged on a little too much for my taste (introducing even more fucking characters, nonsensical conspiracies and digressions into mathematics / metaphysics I don't understand).

Still a fantastic read. Feels like Henry Miller if he got a STEM degree, read Kafka, Weber and Hegel and dropped serious amounts of acid.
>>
>>8142864
Barthood was fucking terrible. It completely lacked everything that made the Simpson's good (particularly humor; it felt like they weren't even trying to make it funny).

The Simpson's hasn't been great since s10 but there were good episodes in the seasons after that until like 15 or so when everything was trash.
>>
File: French Criminals.png (388 KB, 451x545) Image search: [Google]
French Criminals.png
388 KB, 451x545
>>8143427
Barthood was good and these are some of their best bad guys they've ever made
>>
>>8142884
The offensively shitty cover art is honestly a bigger concern than the single typo people love to meme about
>>
Pynchons my fav writer for sure because my fav thing in books is goofs, gags, jokes and rambunctious behavior, and his books are full to the brim of it. Every novel is like one of those novelty snake cans, you open the book & POP you get a face fulla snakes and you fall back cackling. The mad mind, the crack genius, to do it! and then you think hmmm whats he gonna do next, this trickster, and you pick the book back up and BZZZZZZZZZZ you get a shock and Hahahahahah you've been pranked again by the old pynchmeister, that card. "Did that Pynch?" he says, laughing yukyukyukyuk. Watch him as he shoves a pair of plastic buck teeth right up into his mouth and displays em for you- left, right, center- "you like dese? Do i look handsome???" Pulls out a mirror. "Ah!" Hand to naughty mouth. And you're on your ass again laughing as he snaps his suspenders, exits stage right, and appears again hauling a huge golden gong.
>>
>>8143075
"Little Girl in the Big Ten" (season 13)
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.