[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Say what you will about the N-God, call him a fedora tipper,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: morrison.jpg (270 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
morrison.jpg
270 KB, 1920x1080
Say what you will about the N-God, call him a fedora tipper, call him a meme self help man, but can anyone deny his influence on the greatest artistic minds of the latter half of the 20th century?

Why is it that so many 20th century artists, politicians and other major cultural figures were influenced by the writings of Nietzsche (and Schopenhauer as well) and so few by the likes of Hegel and Kant? Shit the only one I can think of who was big into Kant was the Unabomber.
>>
>>8142351
>>>/his/
>>
>>8142351
really makes me think
>>
>>8142351
Kant is extremely difficult to read and his primary body of work is autistic epistemology.

Hegel is an obscurantist hack.

Schopenhauer and Nietzsche write in easily digestible styles (nothing to inspire some cunts like a bunch of aphorisms) and speak to topics more relevant to everyday life.
>>
There are still Kantians and Hegelians out there (Zizek for one), but with Nietzsche you have the end of the Platonic tradition of metaphysics and the beginning of a new way of thinking.
>>
>>8142351
because America's culture is one endless parking lot over indian graveyard

Nietzche's mumbo jumbo is basically philosophical clickbait and Jim Morrison would be a buzzfeed intern today.
>>
>>8142399
>implying American philosophy and academia has taken up Nietzsche's thought and not cucks like Russell and Quine
>>
>>8142451
unfortunately american academia has taken the plunge from analytical to the derridian

and all this while searle is still alive
>>
>>8142351
>Kant
>didn't influence anyone
Negro, to this day the Brit/German existential philosophers didn't fully get away from him.

If anything, continental philosophy has been obliterated in Europe, barring France. But who cared about those freaks of academic nature?
>>
File: Asia Pope 5 Things to Know-1.jpg (52 KB, 876x493) Image search: [Google]
Asia Pope 5 Things to Know-1.jpg
52 KB, 876x493
The 20th Century West is a worthless, forsaken wasteland of nihilism, hedonism, and mercantilism. No wonder a king of nothing like Nietzsche would be popular in it.

Bomb it all. Blow it up. Burn it and raze it to the ground and kill everyone who stands up in defense of it. Salt its earth and poison its wells. Nothing should grow here again. Nothing deserves to.
>>
File: Russell-2.jpg (19 KB, 261x326) Image search: [Google]
Russell-2.jpg
19 KB, 261x326
>>8142536
I beg your pardon?
>>
>>8142544
Did I stutter? Burn it all down.
>>
File: smdh.gif (3 MB, 249x250) Image search: [Google]
smdh.gif
3 MB, 249x250
>>8142351
>Artists and politicians

Exactly OP, exactly.
>>
>>8142351
>Unabomber
He was bretty cool, too bad he didn't but his skills into something else though.
>>
>>8142576
what is your point?
>>
>>8142622
That birds of a feather flock together. Does it surprise you that charlatans are drawn to charlatans?
>>
>>8142654
What does that have to do with politicians and artists?
>>
>>8142666
It's necessary what to clarify what you mean by "artists." Given that the OP has Jim Morrison, we are referring to pop-culture figures and pop-culture figures, like politicians, depend on appeasing the mob for their livelihood. This means they must appeal to the lowest common denominator to reach the largest cross section of society; another way of putting it is that they are unrefined. Nietzsche's play-acting is appealing to common minds because it offers the opportunity to be the star of your own reality show without any need to be concerned about things beyond one's appetite. The rampant vulgarity in pop-culture and politics today is perhaps the most convincing indictment of Nietzsche's philosophy.
>>
>>8142474
Maybe if you're in a lit department. Philosophy departments are 99% analytic
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.