[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
if a pseud reads enough, and...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: pseud.jpg (831 KB, 3888x2592) Image search: [Google]
pseud.jpg
831 KB, 3888x2592
consumes enough /lit/, do they eventually becomes not a pseud? Seemed like the case for even the late great william gaddis.
>>
fake it til u make it
>>
File: 1460684227857.png (497 KB, 674x556) Image search: [Google]
1460684227857.png
497 KB, 674x556
>>8141730
>If people read a lot, do they become educated?
>>
>>8141730
Define pseud. (unironically asking, in order for the discussion to make any sense)
>>
I used to call people pseuds when I was in elementary school

have you not grown out of it?
>>
Being a pseud isnt about what you read, but how you carry yourself.
>>
>>8141730
I don't think so. Being a pseud implies a lack of intelligence, and no amount of information can make up for a general lack of analyzing, interpreting and placing into context. Basically, if you have the aptitude for education you will naturally gravitate towards it without prompting; if you don't, one can only assume you aren't interested in the larger world around you and simply prefer your own existence—which there is nothing wrong with per se. Most people in education right now aren't cut out for it. It's simply a paywall to credentials that lead to life improvements.
>>
>>8141865
this

even people who have read a ton can act as if they are more knowledgeable than they actually are
>>
gaddis was a pseud?
>>
>>8141948
Not that anon, but I think that I read somewhere that Gaddis based Otto off of the person he used to be, so yeah it seems like he used to be but eventually woke up from his pseud-ness.
>>
>>8141952
How can I wake up from my pseudness? It can't be something that goes away once you're aware of it right?
>>
>>8141970
Stop trying to look like you're smart, read a shit load, and be a genius like Gaddis.
>>
>>8141952
this
>>8141844
gaddis also talks about people who want to write, and people who want to be writers. a pseud is someone who wants to have read/watched etc. because of the social status it brings, where as a non-pseud actually wants to know. i'd say i'm somewhere in between-- i want to know (i don't tell other people what i read or anything), but i'm working my way through the canon to see what's out there. sometimes when I'm reading a novel i don't particularly like, and don't feel like I'm learning from, just for this reason, i feel like a loser because I'm reading it just to be aware of what's out there at that point and not to enjoy it. does that make sense? like i'm not comfortable with my own knowledge yet of what's out there to trust myself to read what i enjoy reading.
>>
>>8141999
>does that make sense?
lmao DFW. also, checked.

I think everyone does it for the *percieved* status, though, at least in the beginning. Kinda like learning how to play guitar in order to get pussy. Even though it usually doesn't happen if you sperg out too much about it and actually learn all the scales and shit, so then you start actually enjoying developing your musicianship.

And studying canon even if you don't care seems like a pretty academic thing to do, so maybe we could say that pseuds are then people who aim to obtain academic knowledge about literature/philosophy, even though they don't actually enjoy reading literature/understanding things in general?
That sounds right, but I still don't think it's narrowed down enough desu.

also, what are some books that you would enjoy reading then? I mean, as long as it's actual literature, why not just go for it?
To be completely fucking honest, reading IJ actually helped me understand Hamlet better, so if you mean that you're holding out with contemporary books in order to read ancient stuff that you don't understand, I'd say don't. maybe I'm just a pseud though . now that I've pointed it out myself, it must mean that it surely isn't true
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.