[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do I analyze books?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (19 KB, 473x480) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
19 KB, 473x480
i want to be able to get more out of what i read and get past surface level interpretation. Where should I start?
>>
narratology
hermeneutics
literary theory

now google
>>
that just comes with reading a lot of literature. eventually you'll be able to intuit themes and such without willfully "interpreting"
>>
>>8139113

Educate yurself.
OpenYale has a few literary courses on youtube. Buy those books and read along with the courses.
Pirate some of the teaching company courses too
>>
>>8139143
Hell yeah Yale courses got me many A's.
Paul Fry is a boss!!
>>
>>8139143
>>8139138
>>8139113

How do I get interest in reading? Is there any magic or trick to get interest in reading?
>>
>>8139176
>hell yeah
>!!
Why do you write like a teenager? Grow up.
>>
Just read. When I was memorizing my scripts (Stretch of the Imagination by Jack Hibberd) I didn't understand certain things until i 'just read it'
>>
>>8139180
Read the hitchiker's guide to the galaxy. You'll power through all five books in a week and then you'll have an idea how much you can get done by committing real time to reading
>>
>>8139113
Read books and talk about them people.
Or read things other people have written about the books you've read. Forwards/introductions can be a good place to start, especially on "Classic Works"
>>
>>8139176

It's a good resource.
https://www.edx.org/course/subject/literature

Is also pretty good.

>>8139180
There is a meme for this if anyone has it.

It's basically just read everyday even if you are reading like five pages you are in fact still reading and you'll get to ten and twenty and then eventually you'll power through a novellas in a day.

In fact that is a good way to start pick up a dozen novellas don't be afraid to read HS level stuff if you aren't a real reader yet.
>>
>>8139249
does reading include articles, essays etc?
>>
>>8139253

Yes, so long as it is quality and not meant for the lowest common denominator e.g., reading a review vs buzzfeed. Use your best judgement.
>>
>>8139113
Check out susan wise bauer's "the well educated mind" for a crash course in major genres (history, fiction, poetry, drama, autobiography) with recommended questions to get you started and recommended reading lists for each genre.
>>
>>8139261
>implying buzzfeedd is not intellectual genius on par with Joyce
>>
>>8139249
I don't find interest in reading anything. I mean I am interested in History, Literature and good stuff. But I don't like reading at all.

I have been reading Grapes of Wrath for more than a month. Such a great book. I am loving the story.

R E A D I N G is the problem. I listened to a lot of audiobooks, though. Can you understand what I am saying, sir?
>>
>>8139316

How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice and practice. Build your willpower and mental endurance.That is literally all there is to it. Make it a point to read each and every day even if it is just five pages, enjoyment will come later when you are good at it.

If you can't or won't or have something ADHD you already have audiobooks which is a fine way to enjoy lit.
>>
>>8139349
I think I have ADHD.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-20-16-04-11.png (179 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-20-16-04-11.png
179 KB, 1280x800
>>8139249
Gotcha covered famalam
>>
>>8139249
>>8139349
this pretty much, a while back when I started actually reading I had to force myself to read 20min before drooling on the book. After few weeks of reading everyday "against my will" I grew interest and resistance, today I can read 3hours straight pretty focused.

So reforcing, I suggest you choose a hour of the day and just read 5pags everyday that hour and go adding few more pages.
ALSO, IMPORTANT: read something that you WANT to learn and go for something SHORT, if you take a 500pgs book you wont notice progress and will lose motivation
>>
read this: http://bookfi.net/book/1444941
>>
>>8139181
Heck no Grandpa! Get with the times.
>>
Protip: Remember that a theme is most often an entire statement rather than just a word or two.
>>
>>8139608
>Heck no Grandpa!
>Get with the times.
Why do you write like a teenager? Grow up.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.