[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Great world builder, terrible writer.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: 425335-tolkien_photo_c.jpg (81 KB, 533x755) Image search: [Google]
425335-tolkien_photo_c.jpg
81 KB, 533x755
Great world builder, terrible writer.
>>
I disagree :^)
>>
>>8138004
He's great at both. Don't be such a fucking little faggot.
>>
OP: zero redeeming qualities
>>
OP: No discernible talent
>>
His writing is a chore to get through, but at least the lore is interesting.
>>
>>8138004
That's a nice pipe, or is it really a pipe?
>>
>>8138018
His writing is such a chore to read through, but at least the lore is interesting.
>>
OP: great memer, terrible poster
>>
>>8138004
>Great world builder, terrible writer.
Nice try, but next time reading the source material before trolling.

Tolkien didn't "world build", his settings are extremely sketchy and schematic. This is on purpose.
>>
>>8139761
>his settings are extremely sketchy and schematic
Explain?
>>
>>8138004
He's not even a great worldbuilder. His world is empty. He is good at providing little glimpses of a great painting you'll never see in full. This is only sometimes, the rest of time he autistically describes things in a way that requires zero talent. There is no flourish, it is simple cataloguing
>>
>>8139763
>Explain?
What does Gondor use for currency? Where is the industrial infrastructure that builds mechanical clocks for hobbits? Do orcs have families? What is the energy source for Gandalf's staff? Etc., etc., etc.

Tolkien wrote religious novels. None of it is down-to-earth or rational.
>>
>>8139765
>There is no flourish, it is simple cataloguing
Well, he was an academic.
>>
>>8139776
Autism: The Post
>>
>>8139831
>>
>>8139765
the real world is empty
>>
>>8139776
Finish your goddamn book, George.
>>
>>8139765
Nonsense, cataloging has a long history as a poetic technique: see Walt Whitman.
>>
>>8139845
>>
>>8139848
t. stirner
>>
OP: Thinks opinion is fact
>>
>>8139858
Sounds more like something Pat Rothfuss would say than Gurm.
>>
>>8139776
The southfarthing exported tobacco. Besides hobbits lived rural lives, they wouldn't suffer industry (or would they?).
In The choices of Master Samwise, two orcs are having a conversation about the good ol' times; at some point they say they'd rather find a good place to go with 'some trusty lads' than keep on the war, before slaying one another.
As for Gandalf, in the lotr universe magic is in the voice. The staff was more of a conduit.
>>
>>8140898
>>
>>8143031
Autism: The post
>>
>>8143028
>magic is in the voice
lame
>>
>>8143045
aUtIsM: tHe PoSt
>>
>>8143959
Why is it lame, though?
>>
>>8138004
The greatest worldbuilder/good but un-achieving writer. His work contributes nothing to literature but incomparably stimulates imagination and flights of fancy.
>>
His lore is such a chore to get through, but at least the writing is interesting
>>
He is actually a very good writer. I have heard people complain about his prose before, but unsurprisingly all of them have been plebs.

I read his books a second time after hearing this criticism, and this is the conclusion I have come to:

Normies and plebs don't like reading prose that is lyrical and balanced like poetry. This is why a lot of plebs recoil from McCarthy as well. The sentences are simply so well structured and balanced that it feels almost mechanical.

I mean personally I really enjoy this effect. Tolkien's prose in particular reads like something that has been inscribed on stone and weathered for thousands of years and dug up again. There is a perfectness to it that is almost non-human, so it is hard to imagine a human uttering it. It gives it an unrealistic quality, but also elevates it above the real. Which suits the subject matter perfectly, 2bh.
>>
>>8146557
I didn't feel like the lore was a chore at all, unless you are referring specifically to the annexes. The only part of those that was a chore was the timeline I guess, but even that I enjoyed. Maybe I'm just autistic, I dunno.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.