[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What gives 'philosophers' grounds to preach?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
Pic unrelated

So i've started writing out my thoughts/opinions on power in society and the meaning of evil.

Everything was going along fine until I realized that, from the perspective of a reader, i'm just some asshole using a book as a soapbox to yell my ideas.

How do I avoid this? I'll be honest, I havent read much Philo aside from Machiavelli, so I am not sure how they structure their works.

Should I write it as an essay?
Should I make it a narrative and stuff my ideaology in it (Ayn Rand style)?
Or should I keep it as is, just a stream of my thoughts to be edited later?

Thanks
>>
File: Uber.jpg (30 KB, 388x354) Image search: [Google]
Uber.jpg
30 KB, 388x354
>>8136981

>evil
>existing
>>
Gravity.
>>
>>8136981
You are confusing philosophy with social commentary. They have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
>>
>>8136990
Evil is whatever modern society deems it to be. Any act or thought that attacks or offends the majority, or even threatens their strength/influence is labeled as bad (and then by degrees, evil).

>>8136991
I don't understand

>>8137023
Maybe I am, thats a good point. Like I said, I don't really know what i'm doing. My thing definitely spends a lot of time looking at modern life. But if I suggest avenues for an individual to get ahead/ gain power / (become 'evil') does it cross into philosophy?
Oh god please dont tell me that ive been writing a selfhelp book all this time
>>
Stop posting. Stop thinking. You're an embarrassment.
>>
File: 1419685244998.jpg (72 KB, 709x765) Image search: [Google]
1419685244998.jpg
72 KB, 709x765
>>8137063
Come back to writing in 10 years. Meanwhile, you know what to do.
>>
>>8137063

>Evil is whatever modern society deems it to be. Any act or thought that attacks or offends the majority, or even threatens their strength/influence is labeled as bad (and then by degrees, evil).

So many spooks in one sentence.

Come back when you finally manage to transcend whatever Semitic morality you grew up with.
>>
>>8137063
>But if I suggest avenues for an individual to get ahead/ gain power / (become 'evil') does it cross into philosophy?

No.

>Oh god please dont tell me that ive been writing a selfhelp book all this time

That doesn't mean you've been writing a *good* self-help book. It could be a very crappy one.
>>
>>8137075
>>8137076

My writing may be shit, my ideas too. I dont expect much to come out of this anyways as its my first real project.

But please /lit/, I want to improve. It may shatter my confidence but I want you to tell me exactly where I am going wrong
>>
File: 1423772692510.png (11 KB, 310x326) Image search: [Google]
1423772692510.png
11 KB, 310x326
>>8137090
read more. Always think you haven't read enough. That's literally it. And you don't have to write now. Literary success is the best and maybe only dream old fucks can afford.
Don't feel pressured to write, but don't grovel at the feet of intellectual heavyweight like me and the four other people that post on /lit/.
Good luck!
>>
>>8137106
Thank you, thats actually really good advice

I'll let the thread die now. Thanks everyone
>>
>I want to get my ideas out
>I don't want people to hear my ideas

pick one
>>
>>8137076
>>8137085
>>8137106
Redditor manchildren.
>>
>>8136981
They dick.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.