[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where did the "le fantasy isnt literature" meme come
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: pretentious.jpg (24 KB, 530x353) Image search: [Google]
pretentious.jpg
24 KB, 530x353
Where did the "le fantasy isnt literature" meme come from?

All the "lit approved" memes like moby dick, infinite jest, ulysses etc are all fantasy
>>
>>8136687
T. Rectally ruinated genrepleb
>>
File: 1438982986929.gif (2 MB, 350x255) Image search: [Google]
1438982986929.gif
2 MB, 350x255
>>8136693
You sound like you validate yourself by what books you read, the OP pic describes you in particular

The only thing even close to genre fiction Ive read is probably Gene Wolfes BOTNS series and bram stokers dracula
>>
Moby-Dick isn't fantasy, it just feels that way because the circumstances of the book are so wildly different from everyday ordinary life.

Is there a name for that sort of literature, incidentally? Blood Meridian is sort of like that too. It's not 'fantasy' but it's completely alien to normal people in contemporary society, and was even when it was written.
>>
>>8136706
Wow you sure showed me lol

Faggot
>>
File: 1458764944013.gif (350 KB, 428x587) Image search: [Google]
1458764944013.gif
350 KB, 428x587
>>8136747
I fucking love summer!
>>
>>8136715
>and was even when it was written
Wasn't Blood Meridian written in the 70s or 80s? Hardly a long-ago time of legend.
>>
>>8136687
>moby dick, infinite jest, ulysses
>fantasy
what
>>
Honestly the problem isn't fantastical elements. The Iliad is filled with gods and whatnot, and no professor bats an eye at it.

The problem is, the artificiality of modern fantasy. The Iliad is an epic myth with thousands of years behind it; it is a master poet working within an established tradition; it articulates a fantasy people actually believed in. Modern fantasy is the semi-autistic aspirations and anxieties of a single individual writ large in lazily mythic tropes and faux-historical trappings.
>>
>>8137184
i wasn't even alive bro
>>
Fantasy isn't literature. Some literature is fantasy.
>>
>>8137198
Fiction is fantasy.

>fantasy
>That which comes from one'simagination.
>>
>>8137217
Full retard.
>>
File: 1365285417543.jpg (20 KB, 559x568) Image search: [Google]
1365285417543.jpg
20 KB, 559x568
>>8137217
>>
>>8136687
Fantasy's a genre label, OP, not a term for all fiction containing fantastical elements (which would arguably include all fiction, and therefore be a bit useless).
>>
>>8137217
Manchild.
>>
Moby-Dick is an adventure novel and Infinite Jest is sci-fi. Ulysses is the one of those three that is by no stretch of the imagination a genre novel - it's pure modernism; really it is THE modernist novel.

The distinction between lit fic and genre fic isn't nearly as strong as most people would like to believe it is. The Odyssey and the Iliad certainly slot into fantasy more easily than they slot into literary fiction.

Most genre fiction is pulpy garbage, of course, but most literary fiction is just different-smelling garbage.
>>
>>8137202
It was a wonderful time. The internet didn't exist, evil Communists were going to blow everything up, and Islamist militants were a great bunch of lads.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.