[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished this baby want some the notes?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 242472.jpg (18 KB, 312x475) Image search: [Google]
242472.jpg
18 KB, 312x475
This are parts that i found interesting from the book The Black Swan

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/242472.The_Black_Swan

recorded books - audio

A black swan is a highly probable event with three principal characteristics
It is unpredictable
It carries a massive impact
After the fact we make up an explanation which makes it look less random and more predictable than it was

One single observation can invalidate a valid statement derived from millennia of confirmatory sightings of millions of people

The author of the harry book series does not have to write a new book each time someone wants to read it , but a baker needs to bake bread every time he wants to sell bread
this is the diference between professions that can add zeros to their earning without more work and those who cant

Don't simplify beyond what is necessary

Our minds are like inmates captured to our biology unless we manage a cunning escape

A lot of mildly good news is preferable to a single lump of good news regarding what makes you happy

Superior qualities are only superior if most people don't have them

Respectable literary publishers accept 1 in 10 000 manuscripts the receive from first time authors

It is the worst case that matters when engaging in a policy , the worst case is far more consequential than the forecast itself

It is often said that he is wise who can see things coming but perhaps the wise one is the one who knows he cannot see things far away

A bad prediction can be worse than no prediction

We over estimate the length of the effect of misfortune on our lifes, you thing that the lost of your fortune or job will be devastating but you are probably wrong , more likely you will adapt

Scholars are judged mostly on how many times their work was referenced on others people work

Popular science books that summarize research in complex systems
Mark Buchanan - Ubiquity
Philip Ball - Critical mass
Paul Ormerod - Why most things fail
>>
>>8136621
This book was on a /bizlit chart and when I posted it on /biz, it got smug Pepe replies. Why is it so? What's in the book that it elicits such a reaction?
>>
>>8136756
Taleb is a pretty smug dude so that might be why
>>
so is this book legit?
>>
>Our minds are like inmates captured to our biology unless we manage a cunning escape
You have summarized the phenomena of drug use, drug culture, and psychological addiction to drugs: escape.
>>
>>8136804
i liked it
>>
>>8136813
interesting point of view
>>
I really don't think you learn much from books and Taleb's books are no exception. I liked them, especially the latter two, because they were written like interesting conversations.
>>
File: 1464501787602.jpg (904 KB, 3394x1713) Image search: [Google]
1464501787602.jpg
904 KB, 3394x1713
>>8136896
most books are shit, but the ones that are not are worth it
>>
>>8137049
is black swan worth it?
>>
>>8137283
yea, books that are shit don't teach you anything
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.