[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is actually shit and has no deeper meaning except surface
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: tumblr_m589p1LjHT1qbaom0.jpg (71 KB, 426x638) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m589p1LjHT1qbaom0.jpg
71 KB, 426x638
This is actually shit and has no deeper meaning except surface entertainment.
>>
>>8135799
yeah who cares its pretty fun
>DUDE THE SPICE LMAO
>LIKE DUDE WHY AREN'T YOU A MENTAT RIGHT NOW? LMAO
>DUDE I MIGHT BE THE KWISATZ HADERACH LMAO
>>
>>8135799
What is "All Fiction Ever"?
>>
>>8135803
Would you say that something like Don Quixote or other literature is also like this just because it's fiction ?
Because that's false
It's only genre fiction
>>
You can always spot the pseud when they say shit like 'deeper meaning'
>>
>>8135834
>Would you say that something like Don Quixote or other literature is also like this just because it's fiction ?
Yes. But please, do explain why "He's actually a delusional fuckwit." is DEEP and meaningful.
>>
>>8135799
>deeper meaning

This nigga obviously hasn't read the part of the series that has the merging with the sand trout
>>
>>8135834
Everything that isn't scientific is a fictional narrative (yes religious texts and most philosophy are fictional narratives)
>>
>>8136029
What if it's a biography
>>
>reading for deeper meaning
Is this the new reading for plot?
>>
>>8135799
that's just the intro to a series of 6 books bro. that one's pretty boring tbqhwy. can't judge a big series off one book silly man.
>>
>>8136132
Don't listen to this guy. The first one is the only one that isn't painful to trudge through because at least the terrible writing and horribly one dimensional characters are new.

>>8135875
Weird isn't deep

>>8135799
You're right save yourself the trouble of finishing the series.
>>
>>8136145
don't listen to this guy. he's obviously a pseud.
>>
>>8136029
>Everything that isn't scientific is a fictional narrative
illiterate autistic STEM retard detected.

here's your homework for today:
1) define "fiction"
2) define "narrative" and realize that what you meant was that "everything that isn't scientific" makes use of narratives, not "fictional narratives" in particular
3) realize that actually science also uses narratives
4) you've just BTFO'd yourself
>>
>>8136151
>Isn't defending dune so is obviously a pseud

Do you brain?
>>
>>8136162
he was just baiting
>>
File: 4.jpg (110 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
110 KB, 1080x1080
>pop lit is bad

whoa, thanks for the insight
>>
>>8136201
how could anyone this this girlis hot
>>
>>8136201
lmao look at this stupid bitch. literally my worst nightmare. having a kid who likes dyed hair and wears earrings.
>>
>>8136201
why do these robot girls sometimes wink like this and the rest of their facial expression just goes blank?

is it because they feel no real emotions and connection to other people or even themselves for that matter? and they feel that they're going to get busted for their traumatized emptiness so they at least wink to try and fool the other person that they're feeling something?
>>
>>8136219
... or does she have a nasty case of conjuctivitis maybe, and that was the message we were supposed to take from this picture?
>>
>>8136145
Your mom is deep.....

In the pussy.
>>
File: 1461704686614.jpg (29 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1461704686614.jpg
29 KB, 640x640
>tfw this deeper meaning OP is bitching about can be found literally in the very first pages
>mfw its true the best book in the world is useless if you're a fucking illiterate
>>
>>8136145
Can you justify or position instead of vomiting out words you fucking troglodyte?
>>
>>8136145
t. retard

read messiah, children, and god emperor. other two are optional. you need to finish god emperor to "get" the story. dune is literally the set-up/prologue that for some reason became a memed "sci fi classic" on its own.
>>
>>8135847
Essentially Don Quixote is a man who devotes his life to a fruitless quest, he has actually given us the word "Quixotic", as description for endeavours of that nature.

Don Quixote is also considered the first "Modern Novel" apparently, but I don't know or care about that.

It is such a familliar touchstone of world culture, but unlike a gatepost that many hands have caressed, it has instead left it's mark on the hand of everyone who has touched it, and through them also upon you.

When a book's dissemination reaches critical peak it changes reality, Don Quixote is particularly interesting to use as an example in this regard because it's plot is about a man who struggles in vain to live up to an ideal, but is crushed by reality, so the irony that it's success sparked a revival of interest in the ideas of chivalry and the nobility of the knight in mid 1600's Spain; a time when those ideas were quite dead, is quite striking.

This is my understanding of why Don Quixote is an important book.
>>
DESU I'm 100% deep 100% of the time and nobody complains.
>>
>>8136965
I finished the first three novels. I'm the retard because after 1400 pages of complete shit, I didn't check out the fourth novel because that's the one that'll make me "Get it"

No. You, just like every other frustrated dipshit autistic virgin on this board, have just lost track of any middle ground between someone with a different opinion, and a "retard". Dune was a waste of both of our time.
>>
>>8135799
Dune is sprawling with deeper meanings. Its an examination of ecology, religion, duty to the family, coming of age.

My problem with the book its length and leaden prose, but there is a lot of food for thought. I wonder whether the novel was the right medium for whatever Herbert was trying to do.

At any rate, the second half of the book is noticeably better.
>>
I never could get in Dune because of the whole vocabular you have to ingest and that neveg gets explained. Clockwork Orange posed no problem in comparison. Heck, I even read IJ and enjoyed it.
Sci-fi novels sometime have this condition of being shitty little brats who're playing a game with you without telling you all the rules before starting, in an unenjoyable way.
I read some KW Jeter (guy that invented the word "steampunk", wrote a book about dude what would life be if the world was tilted 90° to the side) and it was uninteresting shite only because he couldn't explain to me clearly what he was going on about.
tl:dr if you don't got the prose you got to have the plot AND ABOVE ALL ELSE CLARITY
>>
>>8135799
Not all books are for everyone. I personally love this book and all the ones after. I will admit it is a difficult read at times with the number of characters and also the amount of terms, social classes, and technology you have to learn and accept.

But you have to admit, folding space with your mind sounds like a lot of fun! And the Spice orgies? who wouldn't love that!??
>>
>>8136965
God Emperor is the greatest in the series. It could almost stand on its own but without the back story from the previous 3 books I don't think a novice could understand how Leto got where he is or why.
>>
>>8136982
Honestly, Quixote is a parody that was so well done that it could be analized beyond the original intent. It's still just a funny book.
>>
>>8137669

I personally like the fact that Dune, and other Frank Herbert novels (esp. those set in the Consentiency) don't spoon-feed the reader but introduce new words and concepts very rapidly with minimal explanation, forcing you to infer their nature by the context in which they appear and by character's reaction to them. This encourages the reader to be more thoughtful and attentive to the detail of conversations, descriptions and events, increasing appreciation of the story and making it more immersive.
>>
>>8137988
That's how you're supposed to do it.

I'll throw the book in the garbage if the action is stopped to explain a simple term like some bullshit anime
>>
>>8137988
You know, that is great and all, but there are many instances of Herbert describing things that directly conflict with how he previously described things. All the stuff surrounding spice specifically; there are more examples but it's been a few years since I read the books.

I relatively enjoyed the books but they can really, really drag sometimes as well.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.