[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I hear that new lines and more complete copies of tablets from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: Lammasu.jpg (246 KB, 1024x907) Image search: [Google]
Lammasu.jpg
246 KB, 1024x907
I hear that new lines and more complete copies of tablets from the Epic of Gilgamesh get found every once in a while. I've been thinking, what's the most up-to-date version of Gilgamesh? Also good translations in general?
>>
andrew george's

also, what do you think were those humbaba's auras? and those golems of urshanabi...
>>
>>8135152
Thanks. I've been thinking to read this. I've been starting with the Greeks but isn't this the oldest piece of literature that we have? At least there are no prerequisites, right?
>>
>>8135285
Wait, what I really mean to ask is this: is the story of Gilgamesh really important for the understanding of many other works of Western literature, the way the Iliad and Odyssey are?
>>
>>8135292
There's been a lot of discussion as to how much of Western Lit has been influenced by this Eastern story. If you read it you may notice that it gets really close to comfort with seminal pieces of Western Literature. Namely, it's style is eerily reminiscent with Homer's, while also paralleling several Biblical Scenes like Eden and The Flood.

Being the first known "book" and all, it also pretty impressively answers the question as to why we write at all.
To immortalize ourselves desu
>>
i've seen dat lamassu if that's the one at the university of chicago which i think it is
>>
>>8135349
Good answer.

OP just read it and see for yourself. It's very short and will take like 2 hours.
>>
>>8135349
>Being the first known "book" and all, it also pretty impressively answers the question as to why we write at all.

>Were its bricks not fired in an oven?
>Did the Seven Sages not lay its foundations?
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.