[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/, I have started working on a dark fantasy story. I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: spoopy.gif (447 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
spoopy.gif
447 KB, 400x267
Hey /lit/, I have started working on a dark fantasy story. I still don't know if its going to be short or long but at this pace it might be huge.

What do you guys consider to be do and don't in fantasy? More specifically what gets you interested and what immediatly turns you off?
>>
>>8134684

>More specifically what gets you interested and what immediatly turns you off?

Turn on's:

When the writer is inspired by an unknown force to relinquish all the benefits of social life and pursue the materialization of the Symbol the muse has let him see

Turn off's:

When the writer comes on 4chan to ask other people how he should write the novel he thinks he should write, 'cause you know, he'd be great at it, he's so smart, besides he's been writing in the basement so long, reading so many DARK FUCKING FANTASY stories, oh he's dark, you know, real dark, like you wouldn't even understand, and, I mean, he's also part of a huge demographics for insipid and tasteless works of literature that do not demand the will to widen the soul, and just sort of tell these tales about what you could be dreaming about if you where also a destinyless neckbeard regulating his faps per hour to fill in a fake routine to fill his mediocre hours of breath and pulse
>>
>>8134684
Good:
>well-written, interesting prose
>well though-out, interesting imagery
>complex, multi-faceted characters
>some level of content or meat
>complex, interesting plot
Bad:
>weird, offputting names for stuff
>sex of any kind
>shockjocking
>cliches
>chosen one trope
>killing off characters all the time and pretending that that makes it interesting
>>
>>8134713
You're exaggerating, everything is going very well and I have a lot of inspiration, I simply wanted people's insights on what they like and don't like

>>8134714
Cool thanks alot, your arguments are pretty based and make sense
Also
>george rr martin
>>
>>8134737

i actuali wanto make yu writ

im a little dobby thesa deis

just leave for chan deer anon
>>
>>8134684
>I have started working on a dark fantasy story

why?
you already know it's going to be shit
>>
>>8134768
Because he's either a genrepleb or a cynical profiteer.
>>
>>8134768
Why not? I'm having fun writing it and if I'm happy with it once I'm done I can publish it

I know this is 4chan and you're all into this "being edgy and cynical is cool and makes me superior" mentality but to me this is a great chance to explore an area of my writing that I have never explored before

>>8134774
By dark fantasy I just meant that it is medieval, has magic and is bleak, is that better?
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.