[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>what was Aragorn's tax policy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: George-RR-Martin-thumb.jpg (44 KB, 413x412) Image search: [Google]
George-RR-Martin-thumb.jpg
44 KB, 413x412
>>
>no discernible talent/fetishist man wants to pretend he knows shit about taxes or anything economy related
heh
>>
What did he have to say about taxes?
I've steered clear of his works
>>
File: 360_dfwallace_a_0914.jpg (19 KB, 360x235) Image search: [Google]
360_dfwallace_a_0914.jpg
19 KB, 360x235
>The Jew is immunized against all dangers: one may call him a scoundrel, parasite, swindler, profiteer, it all runs off him like water off a raincoat. But call him a Jew and you will be astonished at how he recoils, how injured he is, how he suddenly shrinks back: “I’ve been found out.”
>>
>>8134608
Well are you gonna give us the punchline OP?
>>
>>8134618
It's a statement he made about how LOTR is written from a medieval perspective (e.g. the king's a good person so the country will be prosperous) and how in his own stuff he writes from a more modern perspective
>>
>>8135097
So the modern perspective is "everyone's an asshole"?
>>
>>8134608
make gondor great again
>>
>>8134608

tfw no spice&wolf-esque anime set in the middle earth during the time of aragorn rule

:3

on a back sight, who knows where the spice&wolf is set? horo can be a stray elf...
>>
>>8135122
Maybe in the books he's written so far, but there's a shift in viewpoint later in the series to a more troubled idealism. This video explains it better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek2O6bVAIQQ

By modern perspective I really just meant that he's more focused on the idea of realism and detail in regards to the world and its systems of government.
>>
>>8135155
It's an invalid criticism of Lord of the Rings. Do elves exist in reality?
>>
LOtR is meant to be a fucking mythology, of course there's not going to be tax policy in it, it's like complaining how Iliad doesn't explain the Achaeans supply chain to Troy.
>>
>>8135097
>LOTR is written from a medieval perspective

More like a mythological one. Tolkien isn't writing a realistic medieval world and he knows it.
>>
>>8135155
>he called it with Meribald

Ebin
>>
>>8135244
True, but even that seems like it's being used to push the Hound back into "being a badass", rather than actual character growth, although it could still go either way.

>>8135238
True, but it does reflect more medieval sensibilities in its portrayals of monarchy, which his what GRRM was discussing
>>
>>8134608

So does GRRM's reputation for being "edgy" come from the fact that people who like books these days automatically try to "identify" with a character?

My mom goes to a bookclub and she was complaining that the other club members criticized books where something bad happened to their favourite characters.

Is GRRM gore for plebs? Maybe it's like tv in book format.
>>
>>8134608
Fair and equitable.
>>
>>8135128
Kek'd
>>
I hear the taxes in Numenor were pretty high. Then there was that buttsex thing.
>>
Presumably a pretty good one, at least after the war is finished. Taxes become burdensome mainly due to war, the more wars a monarch fought, the higher the taxes. When there wasn't war, taxes didn't do much but pay for the welfare and education of the nobility and the clergy.
>>
>>8135336
>Is GRRM gore for plebs? Maybe it's like tv in book format.

I wouldn't think so, personally. He does a good job at weaving multiple subplots together into a massive, complex narrative.

I just hit a wall when the last four characters I was interested in watching either died or didn't show up for the last 3/4's of an entire book. I made it through Feast fro Crows and had to put the series down because I just didn't want to read about the dragon princess and her problems anymore.
>>
>>8135482
>>8135336
And I just realized I fucking misread your entire post.
jfc I shouldn't be allowed on 4chan at 4am.

His reputation for being edgy comes from the fact that the story is literally 'anyone can die, and they often will, no matter who they are.' A lot of gritty fantasy still sticks to some of the style of having a single or only a few protagonists who will almost definitely make it through the story intact or mostly intact.

GRRM throws that out, killing heroes left and right as they outlive their usefulness to the narrative and then also including other characters who only exist to die a little bit later. Plus add in that his universe doesn't intentionally fuck over his villains like in a lot of fantasy and his stories quickly end up as some of the darkest stuff in the mainstream media.

So yeah. Basically gore for plebs, but he does a decent job writing it.
>>
I don't mind a character I like dying. I mind that ALL the characters I like die, and all I'm left with are shitheads I don't want to read about.

Call me a pleb but if a book doesn't provide any characters I can invest any emotions into other than annoyance and dislike, it's not a very enjoyable experience. At least LOTR has some nice themes of companionship and loyalty and friendship against all odds, it's a little childish, but it's engaging and makes me constantly want to progress to the next page.
>>
>>8135496
>the story is literally 'anyone can die, and they often will, no matter who they are.'
Not sure I agree with that. Most of the character deaths happen as a result of character flaws (e.g. red wedding, Jon's death) rather than total randomness, but it's pretty easy to see why the the general consensus on his work is that he's kill happy. Honestly the show exacerbates that by both killing more characters and by having a greater focus on those that do die (e.g. Barristan).
>>
>>8135496
>A lot of gritty fantasy still sticks to some of the style of having a single or only a few protagonists who will almost definitely make it through the story intact or mostly intact.
>GRRM throws that out

I dont see how he throws that out, asoiaf has these kind of protags too
>>
>>8135158
>It's an invalid criticism of Lord of the Rings.
No it isn't.
>Do elves exist in reality?
Now that is an irrelevant question.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.