[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/lit/izens who write short forms (stories, essays, poems): what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: rejection.png (53 KB, 343x448) Image search: [Google]
rejection.png
53 KB, 343x448
/lit/izens who write short forms (stories, essays, poems): what are some places where you've been published? I'd like to check out the publications we write for, in addition to what we read.
>>
File: 1432427143659.jpg (33 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1432427143659.jpg
33 KB, 600x450
arxiv.org
>>
>>8134057

>implying published writers browse /lit/

don't be cute
>>
I'm not telling you because the two creative works I've published are merely ok. My best work is always rejected.

Non-fiction work, I'd consider revealing here. Maybe.
>>
>>8134084

>best
>rejected

well I fucking guess not
>>
>>8134084
OP here, I'd never ask anybody to identify themselves or their work. Just curious about the venue.
>>
>>8134057
/lit/'s knockoffs of DFW have been published on tumblr, wordpress, and in moleskine pocket notebooks.
>>
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 261x386) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 261x386
I've been in Glimmer Train, plus a bunch of other places nobody has ever heard of.
>>
>>8134799
For real? Good job. I really want to get published there, but I feel like they only publish generic normie lit.
>>
>>8134100
>implying most publications aren't looking for specific, accessible submissions.

Beckett couldn't get Murphy published
>>
>>8134807
Glimmer Train does prefer character-driven realistic stuff. To a fault, sometimes. But a lot of the best online sources (Hobart, PANK, Nervous Breakdown) are all about the weirdness.
>>
>>8134819
Lit mags don't care much about accessibility. Even the biggest ones are mostly funded by grants. But you're right that they're all specific. If a writer's best stuff is getting rejected, they're not submitting to the right places.
>>
>>8134819
this is concerning.. how am i supposed to get published when Beckett had Joyce as a reference and still couldnt get published. I feel like the publishing landscape is even tougher these days :(
>>
>>8134825
PANK is great.

I guess that whole cut-and-dry tedium of small talk and basic daily interaction just isn't my thing. (I get enough of it outside of lit.) And I'm assuming that's the type of story you published.

>"It's a nice day out today."
>"Huh?"
>"I said, It's a nice day out today."
>"Oh, yeah."
>She stared blankly at the horizon.
>Etc etc, ad nauseum

I'd still like to be published there though.
>>
>>8134843
It's easier now. There are way more venues, way more readers, and both are more diverse. Beckett would have found a place to match his style much more easily. Plus the recommendation from a bestseller would have guaranteed him a book deal in the present day.
>>
>>8134856
That is the kind of story I published, yes, and I get where you're coming from. That kind of story is harder than it looks, though. I'm sure you know that.
>>
I've been published in THAT magazine. You know, that one.

I'm also going to soon be published on a podcast called The Other Stories. It was pretty cool. I got to read my story out loud, and then they interviewed me. I love to talk about writing, so it was a treat.
>>
>>8134899
OP here, please don't be coy! Which magazine? I'm kind of new to the lit mag world, and I started this thread to learn specific titles. Maybe I'm supposed to know what you mean by "that" magazine, or it's an inside joke or something, in which case I'm sorry. Congrats on the podcast though! Sounds like the kind of thing I'd love to do someday.
>>
File: image.jpg (84 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84 KB, 1280x853
true narrative art requires at least five or six hundred pages. a short form publication might as well be a book of limericks.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.