[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is kinda an odd question but what are some good books that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
This is kinda an odd question but what are some good books that deal with the brutality of nature. I have pick related and was wondering if there is much else like it? A friend suggested the Sagas of Icelanders but I would have to read a translation.
>>
>>8134025
Give Butcher's Crossing a shot.

You might like reading nonfiction about the polar expeditions too. Nature doesn't get much more brutal than Antarctica.
>>
>>8134025
Don't fall for the memes about reading in translation, it's perfectly fine if you aren't an autist.
Of course, it's worth researching which translations are best for a given work.
>>
obviously Moby Dick
>>
The short story "The Open Boat" by Stephan Crane is good. Anything written during the naturalism movement really. Also I'm gonna go with an unoriginal answer and say The Old Man and the Sea.
>>
>>8134029
Butcher's Crossing is great. I like it better than Stoner.
>>
>>8134029
>>8134061
>>8134066
>>8134075
>>8134085
Thank you guys for the suggestions. I'll look into all of these.
>>
In the Heart of the Sea
Into Thin Air
Isaac's Storm

and obviously The Old Man and the Sea.
>>
>>8134141
you're welcome friend!
>>
>>8134029
This, Ernest Shackleton's South is exactly what you want, OP
>>
I stumped how in any way that would be "odd" ...
>>
>>8134025
Jean Giono's Hill
>>
To Build a Fire by Jack London
>>
>>8135917
Endurance by Alfred Lansing
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.