[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Horror
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault.jpg (135 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
135 KB, 1680x1050
ITT: recommend horror books.

I want something that is scary and fast paced.
>>
Hell House by Richard Matheson
>>
>>8133724
House of Leaves is a pretty good horror book, but the concrete gimmick gets kind of annoying and gives authors who do it well a bad rap.
>>
>>8134519
This looks pretty good, i'll check it out.
>>
>>8134519

Meh, pretty boring if you ask me.

Horror is a difficult genre. Nothing really phases me.
>>
>>8133724
>scary
>fast paced
Well, that pretty much kicks out most of the good stuff.
They either have a long build up or somewhat Lovecraftian.
...I guess in a way Lovecraft may be considered "fast pased". But it's no thriller by any stretch of the mind.
>>
>>8133724
I can't think of a lot of fast paced novels, but there are plenty of short story writers you might enjoy. Poppy Z. Brite's Wormwood is fantastic, as is Thomas Ligotti's Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Grimscribe.

And really any of Stephen King's early collections will do. They have all of the gut-level grotesquerie of his books, without any of the boring smalltown America yap that can go on for hundreds of pages.
>>
>>8133724
Hound of the Baskervilles was pretty spooky
>>
I AM LEGEND
>>
Some stories by HP Lovecraft are pretty creepy. Get an HP Lovecraft collection book you will def be satisfied.
>>
>>8133724
Metro 2033 is horror, but it's not really fast paced. And it's super depressing. You might want to kill yourself after you finish it. The last 1/3 of the book left me drained and melancholy after reading

10/10 would recommend.
>>
>>8133724

Stephen King's Nightmares and Dreamscapes collection is pretty spooky. It's just a bunch of short stories and they're pretty varied in their themes, some fast paced some less so. From the ones I can remember:

>crouch end
>popsy
>fifth quarter
>rainy season

Were pretty fast paced.
>>
File: Animorphs_48_The_Return.jpg (46 KB, 275x364) Image search: [Google]
Animorphs_48_The_Return.jpg
46 KB, 275x364
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.