[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Decide to engage literary giant, James Joyce >Begin with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: joyce490.jpg (130 KB, 490x350) Image search: [Google]
joyce490.jpg
130 KB, 490x350
>Decide to engage literary giant, James Joyce
>Begin with one of his less dense works
>I buy a Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
>I open to the first page to begin my journey in to the world of great literature
>Once upon a time and a very good time it was there was a moocow coming down along the road and this moocow that was down along the road met a nicens little boy named baby tuckoo

>mfw I got memed
>>
Who are you quoting?
>>
It's a parody of dickens
>>
>>8133694
Start with Duliners plebgot.
>>
>>8133694
it's the author experiencing himself as a very young man you dip.

also the urinal scene is the best prose in that book and probably ever written by joyce
>>
>moocow

As opposed to what? A woofcow? A tweetcow?
>>
>>8133719
Pretty much this, OP. Not sure what your problem is
>>
>>8133711
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>8133694
Memes aside, Joyce will throw you for a loop if you go into his books expecting them to be dour, serious affairs just because they're old and have a reputation for being difficult.
>>
>>8133734
senpai I was criticizing Joyce's redundancy
>>
>>8133719
It's how mothers tell stories to little boys, I guess.
>>
>>8133701
The very first line of Portrait, is what that is.

I have yet to read it, but I might pick it up soon.
>>
It's not your grandmother's type of novel that's for sure!!
>>
I just started reading Portrait today. I love it.
>>
lol wow this is a really good post, nice thread OP
>>
>>8133747
see >>8133746 and >>8133707
>>
>>8133755
literally this
>>
File: veronique3.jpg (27 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
veronique3.jpg
27 KB, 853x480
imo the opening of Portrait is like the opening of Kieslowski's Double Life of Veronique

the original Portrait (the one he burned) was better though
>>
>>8133694
It's the (very) young artist synthesizing reality with musical language turd ball
>>
>>8134219
Yeah, OP. it's like Beethoven
>>
>>8133694
The language not only conveys the perception of a child, it also contains childish expressions. Yet it is not Stephen's language, norr is Stephen the narrator in this passage. For one thing, a baby who still wetsbthe bed (see next paragraph in the novel) is incapable of formulating complete sentences like those quoted by OP. For another in this passage Stephen is eferred to in the first person (he him), an unlikely procedure if he himself were the narrator of his story (although one could argue children often do this).
>>
>>8133755
It was his father reading actually
>>
>>8133694
You're better off with Dubliners if you've not read Joyce before.

But also that's a brilliant opening line: the book is a semi-autobiographical novel and the opening reflects on his childhood, even the innocent articulations he must have had as a child (hence "moocow"). It's a beautiful book but you should maybe prepare a little before reading it by reading Dubliners.
>>
>>8135848
Exactly. As Stephen ages, the vocabulary used in the book expands and becomes more complex.
>>
>>8134176
Stephen Hero, you mean? I can't speak for whether it was better or not since I've never read the fragmentary manuscript of it that New Directions published, but it did sound more ambitious than the version we did get and I think Portrait is Joyce's weakest work overall because he capitulated to his insecurity about being unpublished/unsuccessful too much with it by dumbing it down so it would be more appealing.
>>
>stream of consciousness
>third person narration

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>8137577
What did you meme by that?
>>
>>8137590
If Stephen isn't the narrator, why does the third person narration follow his own intellectual level?
>>
>>8133701
greentext is not only for quoting
>>
>>8133694
>arse full of farts.
>>
>>8133694

>decide to engage literary giant, virginia woolf
>download the waves
>open to the first page to begin my journey in to the world of great literature

>>‘I see a ring,’ said Bernard, ‘hanging above me. It quivers and hangs in a loop of light.’
>>‘I see a slab of pale yellow,’ said Susan, ‘spreading away until it meets a purple stripe.’
>>‘I hear a sound,’ said Rhoda, ‘cheep, chirp; cheep chirp; going up and down.’

mfw i got memed
>>
File: Burgermeister_Meisterburger.jpg (39 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Burgermeister_Meisterburger.jpg
39 KB, 640x480
>Decide to engage the literary giant, the Prophet Mohammad
>begin with his only work
>I borrow a Quran from my neighbor
>I open to the first verse of one of the greatest works ever written
>I begin with the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful All praise is to God, Lord of all the worlds Most Gracious, Most Merciful Master of the Day of Judgment You Alone do we worship and You Alone do we ask for help Guide us to the straight path The Path of those on whom You bestowed Your bounties Not the path of those who incurred Your wrath or those who went astray.

>mfw I got memed
>>
>>8135972
How would reading dubliners help? It's more straightforward, but it's not like it's really related to portrait other than Joyce wrote them both
>>
>>8133701
Who are you posting?
>>
>>8137888
>It's more straightforward,
>Joyce wrote them both

Hmmmmmmmmmm, I wonder why you fucking retard?
>>
File: 1417732418805.jpg (8 KB, 216x209) Image search: [Google]
1417732418805.jpg
8 KB, 216x209
>>8133719
>>
>>8137811

I need to read this ASAP
>>
>>8137603
Omnipotence of his own work.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.