[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do good pirate books exist? Nonfiction? Fiction? I just want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: Pirate_Flag_of_Jack_Rackham.svg.png (89 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
Pirate_Flag_of_Jack_Rackham.svg.png
89 KB, 2000x1333
Do good pirate books exist? Nonfiction? Fiction?

I just want to go on an adventure on the seas and sing shanties.
>>
Howard Pyle, the guy who wrote Robin Hood, wrote a book about pirates.
RL Stevenson has Treasure Island and Master of Ballantrae.
There's lots of good pirate books from when they were a thing on more seas, because the other sea captains would write about them.
"Captain Charles Johnson" one of the more famous of these, is hard to find records on, and some people think is Defoe, but he's a classic if you can get over the English style of the time. If you gave up on Defoe before though, it'll have more pirates at least this time?
>>
>>8133605
Thanks, anonymous.
>>
>>8133615
np m80, they all good fun but i like stevenson the best.
>>
>>8133625
Good because that's where I think I'll start.
>>
>>8133566
they were just a bunch of drunken English chavs who usually wound up shot or hanged
they were like Chelsea supporters only they could sail a boat
>>
William Hope Hodgson wrote the best sea tales. If your into short stories and a bit of the weird thrown in.
>>
>>8133605
Buccaneers of America, by Alexander Exquemlin, is another great history.
Pirate Latitudes by Crichton is a good contemporary pirate book.
>>
>>8133686
>when The Pirate Queen tells Elizabeth's court they have poor hygiene and are kinda cheap
most privateers turned pirate were high class m8. you don't learn to captain shit without a commission.
>>8133656
it's a good start. Pyle's easier to recognise as children's lit because he made most of the illustrations for iconic pirates. >>8133688 this anon is right about WHH, he's good after or before Stevenson, and if you want a bit more weird, Peter Pan is another one where, when you read it as an adult, you don't think children should be allowed it.
>>
File: a8f747_5356716.jpg (1 MB, 2799x1881) Image search: [Google]
a8f747_5356716.jpg
1 MB, 2799x1881
>>8133566
Hey guy, don't tell anyone, but if you want some shameless casual piratey fun reading, take a look at the Bloody Jack series by LA Meyer
>>
not pirates but the Hornblower novels would satisfy the thirst you have i think
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.