[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Kingkiller Chronicles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8
File: The_Name_of_the_Wind_(UK)_cover.jpg (405 KB, 1666x2560) Image search: [Google]
The_Name_of_the_Wind_(UK)_cover.jpg
405 KB, 1666x2560
have you read a better fantasy saga in the last 10 years?
>>
Yes:

The Great Book of Amber
The Inheritance Trilogy
Book of the New Sun
Urth of the New Sun
The Dark Tower series
The Dreamblood series
Lord of the Rings trilogy
The Prose and Poetic Edda
Ring of the Nibelung

I could go on...
>>
File: abercrombie.jpg (11 KB, 200x247) Image search: [Google]
abercrombie.jpg
11 KB, 200x247
>>8132861
Yep.
>>
File: 132416878768.gif (973 KB, 500x240) Image search: [Google]
132416878768.gif
973 KB, 500x240
>>8132971
>comparing edda to modern day fantasy novels
>>
maybe, but that book is worth it
>>
>>8132995

Hey OP was the one that asked if I've read a better fantasy saga in the last 10 years and I just posted the first ones that came to mind.
>>
>>8133039
That's fair. The Edda's amazing. Do you dislike kingkiller though? I do feel it's one of the best fantasy sagas I've ever read.
>>
>>8133072

It's ok for its medium. It will never be in the same league as anything great or mythological. It's definitely got polish but as far as being 'good' I can't really say yes. I've read the first 2 and will probably read the 3rd but it just has too much cringe. It's bread and butter plebian filler, and that's alright. Not everything has to reach for the stars.
>>
File: 1428506918976.jpg (126 KB, 527x614) Image search: [Google]
1428506918976.jpg
126 KB, 527x614
>>8132861
>self-insert neckbeard mary sue schlock
>to the point that the virgin protagonist is too good at sex for a literal sex goddess to handle
This is a literature board
>>
>>8132861
Yes, but KKC is still a very enjoyable read. Met Rothfuss last year, he's a pretty cool guy. Pretty sure he'll be making the series longer due to all of the unexpected attention it got.
>>
>>8132861
Yes

Deltora Quest.
>>
I hate what the fantasy genre had become. It's hard to find good fantasy books nowadays.
>>
>>8132861
Sadly no, but I've only read about 300 books since turning 17 (when I started reading for fun). Love the theorycrafting in the series.
>>
>>8133148
>It will never be in the same league as anything great or mythological.

You mean things written thousands of years ago for literal uneducated peasants to try to trick them into giving what little power/wealth they have to whoever was wielding the story at the time?
>>
>>8132861
The only parts I liked about that book were the ones where Kvothe got rekt, like the one when he jumps out of a roof
>>
it's a good introduction to reading proper fiction, but New Sun does basically everything it does , but better
>>
>>8135550
Or when he kills Cinder only to realize that by killing him he became a Chandrian with the Chandrian Sign of the Silence of Three parts. Good stuff.
>>
>>8132861
Songs of Ice and Fire, literally greatest books ever written.
>>
>>8132995

Something about RDJ is subtle yet very unlikeable
>>
SKILLED
LOVER
OF
WOMEN
>>
File: 1458071021204.png (185 KB, 486x243) Image search: [Google]
1458071021204.png
185 KB, 486x243
Despite what /lit/ will tell you it's a fun book. Negative criticism is often heard more than praise so it's easy to be tricked into thinking it's the worst thing ever.
>>
>>8132861
It's better than Harry Potter and makes good use of Western occultism but isn't all that great overall. Definitely better all the pulp it lampoons and subverts though. The characterizations are solid when you consider that the way they are is the point, but they are still better than much of the foundation it comes from regardless. I've read better, but quality isn't always personally enjoyable.
>>
>>8135782
>Negative criticism is often heard more than praise so it's easy to be tricked into thinking it's the worst thing ever.

You aren't wrong, but your wrong. Negative criticism isn't more common, in fact It's relativity rare; authors are often drowned in a sea of positive praise. You're just personally upset by criticism so you remember it more easily.
>>
>>8135942
You're right, I may need to rephrase that.
Like you said, from an authors perspective, praise is more prevalent.
However, in communities such as /lit/'s SFF threads though, people are more like to post about their ails about the book. It's more likely for people, in those threads, to tear down a book you like than defend a book you don't.
>>
>>8136340
It's a pretty bad time to be /sffg/ right now, science fiction's corpse is currently being desecrated and adult fantasy is in a downward spiral, I can't blame them.
>>
Malazan.
>>
File: 1441234427728.jpg (58 KB, 851x233) Image search: [Google]
1441234427728.jpg
58 KB, 851x233
>>8136466
>Malazan
>>
yeah, the one i'm writing
>>
I read the first one and the plot felt nonexistent. It was just rambling any some kid going through school with little connecting the events. He didn't find the boogeyman that killed his parents. He kept his oneitis for a girl that obviously sleeps around. Felt like Harry Potter lite.
Does it get better?
>>
>>8136466
yeah this is my favorite fantasy series by a mile. name of the wind didn't really convince me to care about anything that occurred in any way except for the candlejack crew killing his family but that was put on the backbur
>>
>>8136533
If you read it as a broken man recounting how he was an abhorrent shithead and the misery it caused, yes. Even then, it doesn't really get better, you just start to like the whore more than him.
>>
>>8136570
>you just start to like the whore more than him.
Just you Anon, just you.

Ambrose is literally the only sane character in the book.
>>
>>8136544
that's the point i dropped it cause the whole thing was so cliched
>>
>>8136587
You don't like the whore? What's not to like about her, especially compared to Kvothe?
>>
ASOIAF desu senpai
>>
>>8132971
>The Prose and Poetic Edda
>genre fiction

wew
>>
>>8135548

>thinking this is why myth exists

I get the seething anger directed at organized religion though the ages for doing what you said, but they are simply whoring mythology to the blind.
Real myth is a glimpse into the human soul.
>>
>>8136533
>Does it get better?
Yes, keep reading but pay close attention to the details. The book's plot is actually hidden among the seemingly unconnected events and the smallest detail might reveal a ton of stuff.
>>
>>8136641

It's like you didn't even see that someone already pointed that out and gave an explanation.
>>
>>8132971
>Lord of the Rings trilogy
>trilogy
>>
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 750x729) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 750x729
I've read the entire gaskun epic
>>
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 120x98) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 120x98
I've read the entire gaskun epic.
Books 5,7, and 10 are action from start to finish
>>
>>8135913
>It's better than Harry Potter

Top kek

>>8135782
>fun

Stop this. We're on /lit/.
>>
>>8132861
Yes, Kingkiller Chronicles sucks. Shitty bland prose, boring and retarded story, idiotic mary sue self insert character... Really, there is nothing going for it.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.