[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Books with devastating endings
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: 20-2.jpg (87 KB, 466x640) Image search: [Google]
20-2.jpg
87 KB, 466x640
Books with devastating endings
>>
> inb4 stoner
>>
Brave New World, Shutter Island, The Sun Also Rises, The Great Gatsby
>>
>>
>>8133102
Brave New world?
>>
stoner
>>
>>8133128
How is it not devastating?
>>
>>8133128
He is overwhelmed by the permanence of his new life in the far advanced society with his only two loves forever gone from him and has no option left but to end his life in grief and sorrow. The whole thing is an allegory of how our society is spiraling towards a society free from humanity and if we were to glimpse at the future, we too would feel helpless and at fault.
>>
I just love how the last part of this book starts so comfy, with Henery and Catherine in Switzerland. Then everything just goes to shit in the last chapter. It's just a big "Fuck you" from ol' Ernie Hemingway
>>
File: 526787.jpg (45 KB, 303x450) Image search: [Google]
526787.jpg
45 KB, 303x450
>>
File: 1451761930219.png (1 MB, 1066x1600) Image search: [Google]
1451761930219.png
1 MB, 1066x1600
>>8132802
>>
The White Ship desu senpai
>>
File: never_let_me_go-bookcover.jpg (9 KB, 200x323) Image search: [Google]
never_let_me_go-bookcover.jpg
9 KB, 200x323
>>
>>8133801
that dude's face in the background is a lil creepy
>>
>>8134317
hadnt seen it before, nice catch
>>
The Idiot
>>
>>8132802
>Bye, arms
Fuck yeah OP, tears everywhere.
>>
>>8133102
Why the sun also rises? I literally just read it, doesn't seem to do much besides give me contempt for Lady Ashley

Wasn't all that much of an ending, not much happened
>>
Behead All Satans
>>
>>8132802
johnny got his gun
>>
My biography has a devastating ending. He dies a virgin and never had friends.
>>
>>8138076

>Now I will relinquish; now I will let loose. Now I will at last free the checked, the jerked- back desire to be spent, to be consumed. We will gallop together over desert hills where the swallow dips her wings in dark pools and the pillars stand entire. Into the wave that dashes upon the shore, into the wave that flings its white foam to the uttermost corners of the earth, I throw my violets, my offering to Percival.
>>
File: 81a3oM3EcfL.jpg (452 KB, 1871x2560) Image search: [Google]
81a3oM3EcfL.jpg
452 KB, 1871x2560
>>
>>8136052
He's coming to terms with the fact that all of his hopes, dreams, and what might-have-beens are all fantasies coming crashing down. He's in love with a woman he can never satisfy (cock blown off in the war), and she's telling him that she's leaving for good. He's completely hopeless, and truly one of the Lost Generation.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.