[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Billy Butter has a lover; without no hands he lies above
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: gass2.jpg (30 KB, 216x231) Image search: [Google]
gass2.jpg
30 KB, 216x231
>Billy Butter has a lover; without no hands he lies above her, fucking lightly as a plover, first his sister, then her mother. Here's Ben. There ain't no law in the Redeemer's church against a good fuck, is there Furber? Why of course not, Luther, only it's got to be your wife, and beyond five inches it's a sin to enjoy it. By christ you're a good sport, Furb. By christ you are. Pat. Hey boys, ain't Furb a good sport? Squeeze. By christ. You can play at our picnic. Rum a dum. Rum a dum. Rum a dum dum.

what the fuck is wrong with him?
>>
Did I write this?
>>
good stuff
>>
Such good old boy
Very bluegrass
Wow
>>
>>8132450
No, it's from Omensetter's Luck. I got meme'd hard.
>>
>>8134695
dude, the first page of the Tunnel has the line "she committed her Tampax to the trash". what the fuck did you expect?
>>
>>8132079
vulgarity is a part of life

postmodern authors such as Gass tend to exaggerate that. i think it may be because it has been under represented in literature up until the counter culture of the 60s

but thats also just my useless speculation
>>
>>8134725
>It [Life] is Alice committing her tampax to the trash.
>>
>>8134735
No, it's because it's funny. That's literally Pynchon's defense of the poop and toilet scenes in Gravity's Rainbow - it made him laugh.
>>
>>8134742
But vulgar things aren;t funny in themselves. The humor comes from the context of it within the storyline. It's kind of immature otherwise
>>
>>8134757
>not thinking Pynchon is immature when he tells poop jokes
anon, you have much to learn
>>
>>8134725
You've spammed that line in literally every Gass thread I've seen in the past 3 weeks, but you have not once--not even once--even attempted to explain why, in your opinion, that one 7-word line ruins the entire 635-page novel, which, to me, signifies that you (a) cannot, in fact, explain what is wrong with it, (b) have not, in fact, come close to completing The Tunnel, and (c) do not, in fact, have the common sense or self-awareness to see that no one other than yourself even cares about it.
>>
>>8134767
Tampax.
>>
>>8136670
I gotta go with "committed". It's like some kind of vain attempt at being different or eclectic or some shit. Just say she threw it in the trash. The idea of her putting Tampax in the trash should be the actual point of saying she did so (an attempt at explaining who this character is), not using the word "committed" as a stand in for some lack of deeper meaning
>>
>>8136670
Utterly revolting use of a brand name.
>>
>>8134767
Tampax
>>
>>8134742
>He didn't get the toilet scene
>>
>>8136699
Pls pls pls pls pls be bait.
>>
File: gassposters.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
gassposters.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>8137456
>>
>>8134742
How do you know that, doof
>>
>>8134725
Good pick. It's juvenile shit like this that makes me wonder why this board talks about Gass so much.
>>
>>8138459
what makes a sentence about tampons juvenile?
>>
>>8136743
being pomo means recognizing everything is just a Xerox of a Xerox of a Xerox
>>
>>8136699
typical reddit edit: "a simpler and less meaningful word would have sufficed here"
>>
>>8138519

Indeed. If--and I haven't read the book, so I don't know--this is in, for example, a passage which describes Alice's routines in religious terms, then the 'committal' of the Tampax would make sense as the ritual destruction of the unclean. And indeed, even if that is not the over all message, the word 'committed' is still richly suggestive in that sense, because for me at least I immediately think of a religious ceremony. I actually quite like the sentence, although I do somewhat agree it might be better if he had just used the generic tampon. But again, it's all about context.
>>
>>8138583
Good post. Thank you.
>>
>>8134725
This turns me on.
>>
excerpt:
And when I wrote my book, to whom was I writing if not the world? ... the world! ... the world ... the world is William welshing on a bet; it is Olive sewing up the gut of a goose; it is Reynolds raping Rosie on the frat-house stair; it is a low blow, a dreary afternoon, an exclamation of disgust. And when I wrote was I writing to win renown, as it's customarily claimed? or to gain revenge after a long bide of time and tight rein of temper? to earn promotion, to rise above the rest like a loosed balloon? or was it from weak self-esteem? from pure funk, out of a distant childhood fear or recent shame? ... the world ... the world, alas. It is Alice committing her Tampax to the trash.

how edgy can ya get?
>>
File: writing room.jpg (497 KB, 1430x912) Image search: [Google]
writing room.jpg
497 KB, 1430x912
>>8138459
because we're not juvenile here?
>>
>>8136699
>being this babby's first workshopcore
>>
>>8138789
>pepsi max
>holes in shoes
>chesterfields

yeah not gonna read his books dude
>>
>>8138770

Eh, actually I like it, although I'm not sure I could do that jerky, alliterative junk for 895 pages. And I think that the Alice line fits in context. It's just catachretic.
>>
>>8138770
you could get struck by that brain-boosting lightning we hear about and still write nowhere near as well as this
>>
>>8138851
so writing mass ellipses, starting sentences with "and", and adding rape and Tampax will make me a better writer? gotcha.
>>
>>8138871
yep just like drawing spots on your body in Sharpie will make you a better cheeta
>>
>>8138871
ur a thick one
>>
>>8138975
And what are ... you talking about, Tampax? i'm just raping you ... a question. And you're just being hostile ...
>>
hump
>>
scrump
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.