[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think of this and Céline in general ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
What does /lit/ think of this and Céline in general ?
>>
>>8131840
I loved Journey.
Currently plowing through Death. Had to put it down after 300 pages straight. It's compelling to read further, but the amount of shit (both literal and the fucked up stuff that keeps happening to him and to which he sets himself up) is just too much to take at times.
>>
I ended up reading this because of Bukowski.
>>
>>8131840
Damn that looks way better than mine
>>
>>8131865
Actually I speak french so I got the french version. Its kinda ugly desu.
>>
File: 3276661.jpg (24 KB, 283x475) Image search: [Google]
3276661.jpg
24 KB, 283x475
>>8131873
Should've got this one
>>
Journey is great. I wish it had had more of that WW1 stuff.
>>
do you guys know any other similar author ?
>>
Journey was good for the first 50 pages or so when it had the Voltaire vibe but then deteriorated for me after that when he continually screwed his own life over and then whined about how terrible life was...
>>
>>8131891
Cannon Fodder is, as far as I know, the only thing by him about being 'in the army'. Everything else just dances around it. And Cannon Fodder isn't even a finished work.
>>
>>8131896
Same, I know it must've been revolutionary back then, but I really can't stand to read any more "life is hard and also senseless" diatribes, by now I've read billions of books like that
>>
>>8131946
so you didnt like Diary of a Dirty Old Man I presume.
>>
>>8131946
Pretty stupid to start reading Journey then, it's advertised everywhere as 'Misanthropy: the book'
>>
>>8131946
You need to seriously reconsider your relationship with Céline. He shits over all these "billions of books" and their authors.

Also a contender for greatest prose of the 20th century, du moins en français.
>>
Depressing as fuck. It made me feel better about my own life though.
>>
French is my native language. The first part of the book, the ww1 stuff, was great. Then it got kind of boring and then it got better. One thing I didn't like was when he found his friend in Africa, that was unrealistic. Also I don't get all the fuss about his style. Adding 'que' and argot words isn't a revolution for me. But I'll try to read it again. I remember it being a hard and dark read.
>>
>>8131956
Ah well, I like to read any book I can get my hand on, doesn't mean I have to love it
>>
>>8131969
tu devrais lire un peu de Bukowski, journal d'un vieux degeulasse entre autre.
>>
>>8131970
same
>>
>>8131970
>>8131970
>I like to read any book I can get my hand on
Yet you say you can't stand any more. Ah well, in essence it's a good philosohy to read anything.
>>
>>8131970
back in college I had to buy a shit ton of books, I never read some of them, one of it was Journey, so I decided to read it because why the fuck not. I'm not loving nor hating it, it was still a good read tho.
>>
>>8131840
I like his post WW2 stuff better.
>>
>>8131969
It's more obvious in his later work, but besides the slang, it has to do with the use of ellipses and exclamation marks and a unique style of stream-of-conscience, which was unusual at that time.
>>
>>8131997
Of that particular type, yes - yet I still hope that another book of the same vein (think Bret Easton Ellis et al.) may offer a glimpse into something new, I keep on hoping and I keep on being disappointed, have to filter more.
>>
>>8131969
I actually like his prose a lot but find him too depressing and cynical.
>>
>>8132009
Mon nègre
My favourite is Mort à crédit but I'm enjoying his latter novels more and more.
>>
>>8131873
I have the same one. hate that cover.
>>
I enjoyed it -- and yet my mood was soured during the experience. It's been a few months since I finished it. The image that's burrowed deepest is the contorted face of the dead colonel holding his open belly in apparent disgust.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.