[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Weak people are incapable of sincerity."
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (361 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
361 KB, 750x500
"Weak people are incapable of sincerity."
>>
>>8131649
Honestly I've come to believe giving a shit about sincerity either way is nonsense
>>
dfw was compulsively ironic though

he was constant qualifying things if they sounded cliche, and self-effacing if he said something that sounded too smart

he could never just le be himself
>>
Remind me of this mans name.
>>
>>8131661
My impression was also that he didn't actually desire to qualify things but that itself was part of the persona he wanted to upkeep, man constantly lived under two layers of irony
>>
>>8131664
Dreyfus Foucault Wittgenstein
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 607x608) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 607x608
>>8131664
Sam Hyde
>>
>>8131664
Mario Incandenza (Booboo)
>>
>>8131702
Sam's got some nice forearms
>>
>>8131659

This. It was just another one of Dave's brain farts that middle-brow readers loved because it sounded good. This guy really had nothing to say.
>>
>>8131717
Sam is a giant of a man
>>
Sincerity is a meme
>>
>>8131649
And but why so?
>>
>>8131702
discussion of Sam Hyde always reminds me that 15 yr old redditors with a flat sense of angry humor haunt this board
>>
>>8131649
>"Weak people are incapable of sincerity."
>People are weak
>Ergo, people are incapable of sincerity.

Is this why he an hero'd?
>>
It's pretty clear in Infinite Meme that he thought that addiction stemmed from some weakness of character. So many of the characters end up lying and turning their identitites upside down just to get a few days away from the world with their weed. Think, for example, of the depressed woman, who is basically an amalgam of everything DFW hated about himself. He was unhappy and he couldn't figure out if it was because he was insincere or he was insincere because he was depressed. He couldn't figure out if he was unhappy because of his some inherent weakness thatmanifests itself as addiction, or if the addiction itself was weakening him as a person and creating dishonesty a dissatisfaction.
I haven't read all of his work, but a huge chunk of IJ is spent vascillating between conslusions to these questions.
>>
>>8132983
He didn't say that, some French faggot a few hundred years ago did
>>
>>8131664
image.jpg
>>
File: Careful lad.gif (3 MB, 300x252) Image search: [Google]
Careful lad.gif
3 MB, 300x252
>>8132956

>He got personally triggered by one of Sam's stand-ups
>>
>>8133372
Is that French faggot guilty of murder from beyond the grave.
>>
>>8131664
Father Nigger Wallace
>>
>>8131649
nietzche believed this as well

the untermensch is incapable of integrity, which is will exerted upon the self, because they were weak. lacking in nobility of spirit
>>
I actually agree with this quote.

People who play the clown all the time are always self-hating crippled losers on the inside.
>>
>>8132956
posts like these remind that people in a perpetual state of impotent frustration haunt this board
>>
File: excitement.jpg (7 KB, 227x129) Image search: [Google]
excitement.jpg
7 KB, 227x129
>>8131649
>implying being sincere is a good thing
>implying that insincerity is not weak people's only saving grace
>>
>>8133842
>Implying sincerity isn't the only true form of expression that is devoid of weakness
There is literally no down side to being sincere anon - how can there be anything more valiant than being eternally true to yourself?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.