[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on Kafka's letter to his father?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6
File: 1464794479804.jpg (47 KB, 720x844) Image search: [Google]
1464794479804.jpg
47 KB, 720x844
Thoughts on Kafka's letter to his father?
>>
>>8130244
Reads like he was a huge faggot
>>
>>8130244
that's no kafka
>>
>>8130421
That's exactly what I thought, too. It was /r9k/-tier

>>8130469
youre right; it's my waifu :3
>>
>>8131239
And then you burn her in an oven. I know that feel, anon.
>>
>>8131239
>you will never lie with Anne and learn what each other's bodies were for
>you will never save her in some sort of time machine
;__;
>>
>>8131305
You won't go into the future and save her clone from the Martian human colony.
>>
I never noticed that her eyes are a bit off. Huh.
>>
>>8131305

>tfw I would bury you alive if it were 1945
>>
>>8131305
>>8131434
SEMEN STAINS THE MOUNTAIN TOPS
>>
>tfw she's the only girl you ever loved
>>
Incredibly in love with Freud.
>>
>>8131239
Why bother living, then, bros?
>>
>>8130244
Did his father ever actually read the letter ?
>>
>>8132479
Nope, his Kafka's mom was too much of a pansy to actually give the letters to his dad, and then Franz was too much of a pansy to do it himself.
>>
>>8132662
Would Kafka casually browse /r9k/ if he were alive today?
>>
>>8132852
Stop stroking your dick, /r9k/.
>>
Kafka's letter fortifies the disposition of Gregor from Metamorphosis. You can see how much bile is in the letter (it's like 10+ pages if memory serves) and it's all in rage.

Really clarifies the attitude of Gregor to his worthless and sedentary father in the novel.
>>
File: Messages Image(1998121185).png (1 MB, 890x599) Image search: [Google]
Messages Image(1998121185).png
1 MB, 890x599
>>8134356
In the beginning of the letter to his Pappy, Kafka uses the German translated word that is equivalent to "vermin," the same word Kafka used in his metamorphosis. And as for your statement, I have to say that I completely agree, especially after having read the letter. Moreover I think Kafka, who happens to be my favorite writer, had some serious mental issues. Honestly, I imagine his dad being completely normal and Kafka being a complete /r9k/ fag. His letter reminded me of Notes of Underground. Imagine how his dad must of felt after having read that?! He probably was completely weirded out by it.
>>
>>8134537
do you do anal?
>>
>>8134545
Why do you ask?
>>
>>8134548
just wondering
>>
the irony is that the most talked about and popular analysis of Kafka's work is in relation to his father, so his father continues to control and dominate Kafka long after their deaths
>>
>>8134576
retarded post.
>>
>>8134700
fuck you
>>
The release and public consumption of private letters, journals and unfinished works is perverted.
>>
>>8135357
Humans are perverted, suck it up, you weenie.
>>
>>8135435
Thanks for agreeing.
>>
>>8135439
In that case I don't see what your original point was.

I guess you were either being meta ironic again, or a genuine hoity toity holier-than-thou fagtron.
>>
File: tumblr_mbk06vwXRn1rppc0go1_1280.jpg (126 KB, 541x725) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mbk06vwXRn1rppc0go1_1280.jpg
126 KB, 541x725
>>8135442
I'm the bunny in this picture and you're the bird.
>>
>>8135466
Not him and I'm very tired but I'd like to tell you I believe you have a good soul
>>
>>8135466
Atleast we are having fun I suppose.
>>
>>8135442
I know you don't understand. Your agreement was by proxy.
>>
>>8135357
What's your point?
>>
>>8135679
Thanks for not disagreeing.
>>
>>8135701
Thanks for being cancer
>>
>>8130244
When I read it, I thought the only solution the protagonist has to solve his issues, is develop faith in god and believe in love.
>>
>>8135707
Thanks for stale memes.
>>
File: get the fuck out.gif (1 MB, 350x263) Image search: [Google]
get the fuck out.gif
1 MB, 350x263
>>8135713
No problem, here's another blast from the past, you boil
>>
>>8135718
You could just keep reposting the same one. It'd be about as effective.
>>
File: 1455570745800.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1455570745800.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>8135724
I've been on this board for over thirty years, I've memes for days and days
>>
>>8135727
I respect your easily amused, small mind.
>>
>>8135711
But he was already a Jew
>>
>>8134537
>Honestly, I imagine his dad being completely normal and Kafka being a complete /r9k/ fag

Nah, his father was a real prick and almost everyone who knew him said so. He owned a fancy goods store and yelled at his employees constantly. Turn of the century Austria-Hungary was extremely patriarchal and he was rather tyrannical towards his family, making demands about their behavior and demeaning them when they didn't follow the narrow expectations of the bourgeois. Like Franz, when he had a problem with a family member, he would rant to his wife, who would then act as a meek intermediary. He was also ran a very repressive household and refused to speak openly about many issues, making them fester with resentment. He had some valid reasons to be impatient with Franz (in particular for Franz agreeing to run an asbestos factory with family funds and then not keeping his promises), but all around he was a bad man and almost everyone he knew disliked him.

All this is coming from Reiner Stach's biography.
>>
>>8136371
>All this is coming from Reiner Stach's biography

Isn't that a three-part series? Is it worth reading, considering that I'm a Kafka fanboy?
>>
>>8136456
Yes, the three part series, though I only just finished the first volume--"The Decisive Years 1910-1915". It's absolutely fantastic and I highly recommend it. He does a marvelous job portraying Kafka's character, from his famous neuroses to the more paradoxical aspects of his personality. The decade Stach spent researching clearly shows, as he's able to seamlessly weave in information about the world of German literature, the general climate of life in Austria-Hungary, and even the intricacies of Kafka's job as an accident insurance lawyer. Refreshingly, Stach is candid about his research methods--he has no problem making clear when he is speculating while providing good evidence to substantiate his guesses. (The introduction, which is available on the Amazon preview, is a great illustration of this.) Above all, Stach is a careful literary critic of Kafka's work, never pushing or relying too much on one interpretation. He does such a good job of drawing parallels between Kafka's life and work that he doesn't even to interpret the works autobiographically in the overly explicit, cumbersome manner that a lot of second-rate critics do. Even with all the information Stach provides, the stories stay mysterious, which is the essence of Kafka.

10/10 absolutely recommended for anyone with even a passing interesting in Kafka. I look forward to picking up the second volume, on 1915 until his death, in the next few days. The third volume, about his childhood, comes out in English translation this fall.
>>
Made him sound like an edgy and ungrateful little shit. Typical art faggot.
>>
>>8136567
Thanks for this elaborate and informative post, anon. I'll definitely look into Stach's biographies.

Just out of curiosity, which of Kafka's short stories is your favorite and why?
>>
>>8136740
"The Great Wall of China." I love everything about it--the historian narrator's tone that moves between omniscience and ignorance, the imagery of the wall's piecemeal construction, the massive absurdities of the project that lie just beyond what the text elucidates. On the one hand, its construction is an effort of superhuman organization, for instance requiring that the art of masonry be advanced for a thousand years before the wall can even be started, generations of men learning the craft without ever being able to fully understand or express its true purpose. On the other hand, the organization required to complete it is self-defeating, illustrated in part by the Emperor's need to have a census to form a fully accurate picture of his empire. Not only do the townspeople lie to the census takers, but the reports that come into the capital are already out of date after the long return journey. All in all, it's this juxtaposition of immense power and the futility of it that makes me adore the story. It's upsetting and hilarious at the same time.

"A Hunger Artist" and "In the Penal Colony" are close behind it. "The Burrow" is also one of his best, but so anxiety-inducing I find it hard to bring myself to read it often.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.