[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Finally caved in and read Name of the Wind. It's amazing.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
Finally caved in and read Name of the Wind. It's amazing. Picking up Wise Man's Fear pretty soon but I thought I'd ask /lit/ about other authors comparable to Patrick Rothfuss. Doesn't necessarily need to be fantasy. Any direction I could be pointed in would be mighty helpful.
>>
File: dale.jpg (25 KB, 307x352) Image search: [Google]
dale.jpg
25 KB, 307x352
Isn't that the series with the obnoxious mary sue protagonist that lost his virginity to a literal sex goddess, then had her saying he was the best she'd ever had and shit?
>>
>>8129931
ayyyyup
>>
>>8129931
Yes. I have no idea why it's so well-liked. I dropped like 3/4 of the way through because of the Mary Sue shit. And I actually popular fantasy.
>>
>>8129428
>Any direction I could be pointed in would be mighty helpful.
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>8129958
>I have no idea why it's so well-liked

You should go to /a/ sometimes.
>>
>>8129428
Why would you want anything like that want fest?
>>
read both, proceeded to return to malazan for a re read
>>
>>8129931

isnt he supposed ro be talking out of his ass? He gets beat up in the present like a total manlet
>>
>>8131505
It's implied that he got cursed or almost killed at some point between the events he's describing and the present which turned him into a little bitch, and there's nothing in the text to suggest that he's a particularly unreliable narrator.
>>
>>8129931

Hes's far from the best she's ever had. He gets by with his music, while Felurian takes a mentor role cuz idk fetishes
>>
>>8131511

Except for the time skips on his narration and like the trial or the shipwreck. Or when he threatens Chronicler to change that one line after he slips up
>>
>>8131511
> there's nothing in the text to suggest that he's a particularly unreliable narrator.

I read it differently. I think there are some pretty good indications that the protagonist embellishes his story.

That being said, it's not an interesting unreliable narrator the way Gene Wolfe does, for example.

I bet the author think he is being clever, but it's not clever at all. Rather amateurish and hamfisted, in my opinion.
>>
>>8131518
>>8131523
I think he does embellish areas, but he's clearly not straight up lying to the degree that >>8131505 suggests. The main theme of the series (other than music is 2deep4you and that no one has any idea what it's like to be poor other than Kvothe) seems to be exploring the discrepancies between myth and reality, which might be interesting in the hands of a better writer, but Rothfuss seems to just want to write his donutsteel gary sue going around and banging fairies and totally-not-ninjas.

>Except for the time skips on his narration and like the trial or the shipwreck.
That's clearly Rothfuss jerking off by "subverting" the way a regular fantasy story would use those events as a meaningless "Road of Trials" in an attempt to ape the Hero's journey. It's not really a lie or omission in the sense that it doesn't conceal any important character information/motivations/important plot elements.
>>
>Finally caved in and read Name of the Wind. It's amazing.

kek
>>
>>8131504
I tried magazine. It meanders too much.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.