[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you believe divorce should be permitted, why not simply oppose
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: soupforthesole.jpg (58 KB, 606x591) Image search: [Google]
soupforthesole.jpg
58 KB, 606x591
If you believe divorce should be permitted, why not simply oppose marriage as a social institution? I'm undecided on the essential sociological relationship between marriage and divorce.

>tax and legal purposes

I'm not asking about this; these are historical accretions. Let us assume the form which tends to occur across cultures, i.e. that of a significant lifelong contract between a man and a woman for the purpose of raising children.

If you think this assumption is incorrect, feel free to argue against it, just make it a good argument.
>>
>Let us assume the form which tends to occur across cultures
you asked for it anon. let's discuss the documents of brehon law, and the ten forms of marriage documented therein, and the applicable grading of rights and entitlements afforded for each, dependent on marriage length, purpose, and status of those thereby bound in matrimony.
>implying your culture is good enough to be the standard
name a book from it on the subject with more finesse
>>
>>8129169

Please elaborate or provide links.
>>
>>8129203
Here's a great starting point. I assume you'll not be needing a translation, since you're enthused to learn about this, but one should be easy to find.
http://www.ucc.ie/celt/published/G102030/index.html
>>
>>8129314

This looks like an interesting primary text, but I can't find any translation on the internet. Synopses indicate that divorce was permitted under specific circumstances; they also seem to indicate that partners should no remarry while their spouse is still alive. I can't tell to what degree the latter is Christian influence, but my guess is that it is.

It doesn't really help make up my mind either way though.
>>
>>8129402
Most marriages were an individualised contract, but it details the major usual variations. If you google the title the first hit from the same database I linked you to is the English language version. Since a lot of the marriages were only contracts of a few years, you don't have a spouse at the end of the contract. It's like saying it's your apartment to your landlord as an argument when your lease runs out. The Synod of Birr put out another Cáin, the Cáin Adomnain, which was intended to raise the status of women with Church influence, but there's not really any evidence anyone listened since they were generally operating by the more egalitarian lay laws.
>tl;dr- brehon law based, lrn2google so you can read all of it
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.