[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
notes from underground
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20160602_151834_01.jpg (83 KB, 1280x1458) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160602_151834_01.jpg
83 KB, 1280x1458
What is the best translation of this book.??
>>
>>8127010
When it comes to Dostoevsky always Pevear and Volokhonsky
>>
>>8127021
Stop trolling, dumbshit.
>>
I've been researching Dostoevsky translations recently, and I've discovered a lesser known translation by Kyril Zinovieff and Jenny Hughes that I think is the best I've found. Check it out on Amazon.

Before I found their translation I was going to go with either David Magarshack or Michael R. Katz.
>>
>>8127010
Ronald Wilks, for Penguin.
>>
>>8127021
>Pevear and Volokhonsky

Never again. I'm never getting memed into reading that shit again.
>>
>>8127395
the Pevear/Volokhonsky editions of Tolstoy and Dostoevsky were the ones my Russian lit professor, who was basically fresh off the boat Russian, required for her class.
there may be some awkward word choices from time to time, but over all P&V are great
>>
>>8127441
> fresh off the boat Russian

In other words, someone with absolutely no clue about the subtleties of the English language.

Are you seriously this stupid? Is anyone?
>>
look for revised Garnett translations or P&V. The others are bloody dreadful
>>
>>8127441
She probably chose them because they're famous and seemed like a safe choice.
>>
what should be the goal of the translator?
>>
>>8127495
P&V is the only translation that's "bloody dreadful".
>>
>>8127455
I didn't say she had just learned English, dumbass.

>>8127504
she told us she had read several translations and found P&V best
>>
Do not believe these lies. P&V creates the best Russian translations I have ever read. Particularly, their renditions of Crime and Punishment and Notes from Underground are masterpieces.
>>
>>8127515
Foolish and delusional P&V readers will say "to translate the text as faithfully as possible."

Upstanding and righteous Garnett readers will say "to translate the meaning as faithfully as possible."
>>
P&V is the worst thing to ever happen to translation. All copies of their garbage should be destroyed.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2016/06/23/socks-translating-anna-karenina/
>>
File: dfw o really.png (192 KB, 376x390) Image search: [Google]
dfw o really.png
192 KB, 376x390
>le p&v is bad meme
>>
>>8127441
P&V stick close to russian syntax, so it isn't surprising that a Russian enjoys their translation more. But they are not good english books. Just try reading >>8127797, it's a struggle.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.