[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kindle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: kindle.jpg (102 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
kindle.jpg
102 KB, 1000x1000
Hey there /lit/
I'm thinking alot about buying a kindle, i listen to audiobooks and from time to time i read a paper book.

Would you recommend a kindle? should it be voyage or just paperwhite?

Thanks for your help!
>>
I'm against it. Honestly, I think you should stick with a normal book. I don't see much interesting features out there.
>>
I have a Paperwhite and I can't complain, except that the page turning mechanism (touchscreen) is a bit annoying - it's a bit easy to turn a page back, for that I might spring for a Voyage.

Download Calibre, convert everything to azw3, now enjoy epubs.
>>
>>8126947
Luddite.
Sage because we have this threads everyday, do your own research
>>
>>8126957
I don't get it. What do you mean?
>>
>>8126957
well i did some research, but its mostly a question about prefferance, so im asking you here.
>>
Whey about a kobo glow HD?
>>
>>8126994
i read about that one too, but i would also like to upload PDF, and i like the free 3g option from amazon
>>
can you transfer your own pdf's on it?
>>
>>8126947
>>8126972
you guys don't understand. If I want to read mason and dixon and my library system doesn't have it I have two choices: not read it or spend 40 bucks and a week waiting for a nice version to come in the mail.
Or I could open up a torrent client and have the book in seconds.
Oh and also it is like one pound, as opposed to 5 so you can take it out into public without looking like a dweeb

there are very clear advantages to having a kindle

>>8127398
yes but I wouldn't recommend it, .mobis are much better
>>
>>8126925
paperwhite is the shit
>>
>>8127398
Yes, but use this program to modify the pdfs so the words are actually readable and you don't have to use a magnifying glass to read the letters
>>
>>8127799
forgot to post the program: http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/
>>
>>8127398
yes. there are some pdfs that are made to read in ebook readers too
>>
>>8126925
I own Kindle 3. Three things I would like to say:
1) You can find a way to completely remove ad frame on Russian e-Book forums. Use Google Translate.
2) You can debrick it using Kubrick. Don't bother buying an e-reader you cannot unbrick(without warranty at least).
3) It has an Internet browser(!), but it is too weak to open anything but Wikipedia, essentially, so it won't affect your Internet addiction in any way.
>>
>>8127799
Or , you can turn Kindle orientation to horizontal, this zooms .pdf and makes it readable.
>>
>>8127815
>Don't bother buying an e-reader you cannot unbrick(without warranty at least).
wtf are you saying
>>
>>8127088
>i would also like to upload PDF
You can do that with a Kobo

> i like the free 3g option from amazon
Not sure about that, though.
>>
>>8127823
If you cannot unbrick your e-reader and you have no warranty for it then you wasted your money and have to buy a new one. I had my e-reader brick twice, first time it was a PocketBook and second time it was a Kindle 3. I lost my receipt for PocketBook so my warranty was invalid, and there is no way to ubrick it. The second time I was given a Kindle 3 that owner bought and did not need, and I managed to brick it. Kindle 3 was, fortunately, unbrickable through a Linux distro called Kubrick, so I was lucky this time..
>>
>>8127858
yea but why would you want to unbrick a kindle
>>
I have a paperwhite and enjoy it but the pdf situation is a problem. I download textbooks on my iPad but it's large. I kind of want an iPad mini to read pdfs on. Anyone here done that?
>>
>>8127834
well to answer PDFs are also available on kindle, although you cannot resize
and there is not a free 3g option, if you pay some nominal fee (of like 50-100 dollars) you get it permanently though
>>
ITT: Amazon shills
>>
Had a Voyage and Paperwhite and ended up selling the Voyage. Get the newest Paperwhite

Amazon still hasn't fixed the screen issues with the Voyage. You have a 50/50 chance of getting a dual tinted screen. Some of them are sepia colored on the bottom half and cool white on the top half. It's really annoying. Amazon used to even claim this was a "feature"

The screen on the voyage is nicer than the Paperwhite, but it's really not worth the extra $80.

Both have the exact same size screen, exact same software, and look identical when reading.

The only thing the Voyage has different is an auto brightness feature and haptic buttons. I turned the auto brightness off because it sucks. It's either too bright or not bright enough. I just manually adjust it.

The "buttons" also suck. Even at the highest sensitivity, you have to make a distinct effort to press them in. It gets annoying and I just turned it off and use the screen tap to change pages, just like the paperwhite.

Get a Paperwhite and see how much you like reading on it, and then decide if you want to upgrade to a nicer reader when they release a new model next year or the model the following year.
>>
>>8126925
Avoid Kindle fires. Here's my greentext bullet points for how I learned to use my awful tablet.

>Uses a third party reader for EPUBs and RTF files I have.
>Can't let internal storage get low or I'll get nagged on to put my pirated books into cloud/another computer storage.
>Needs to let amazon Fire write into SD card first before I can use it for my legit books..
>Bluetooth support with Wiimote doesn't work. No real clacking with real controllers for me for my legit games.
>Can't figure out how to root the thing
>Almost got tricked into letting a fake root into my shitty tablet
>Managed to get google play installed! But I forgot to disable Wi-FI so I'll get limited deals for shitty indie romance novels.

I'll use the thing for scrunched looking comics, the novels I bought through Amazon and my ebooks.

Thanks dad.
>>
>>8128804

And when I say upgrade, I don't necessarily mean upgrade to another Amazon product.

Color e-ink is finally getting to the point to where it doesn't look like ass and cost $2k for one word business signs.

Hopefully Kobo will get its shit together and release an actual competitive ereader

My dream is an 8" color e-ink reader with physical buttons and an SD card slot and no proprietary formats.

This is why I recommend the Paperwhite. It's cheap and works great and will hold you over for another three to four generations of ereaders, when they hopefully get really good.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.