[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else frustrated they've still have to cover the basics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: albert-camus.jpg (82 KB, 1144x1334) Image search: [Google]
albert-camus.jpg
82 KB, 1144x1334
Anyone else frustrated they've still have to cover the basics of philosophic tradition?

I'm trying hard, but it's depressing knowing you arguably still know shit.
>>
>>8126449
>ywn know anything
>>
>>8126449
stop trying and
just be yourself
>>
>>8126449
>not spending a year reading solely introductions to philosophical schools

>intro to and selected readings of pre-Socratics
>intro to and selected readings of Plato
>... Aristotle
>... Plotinus
>Augustine
>St. Anselm and St. Thomas Aquinas
>etc. etc. through to Descartes, Leibniz, Spinoza, Hobbes, Locke, Hume, Kant, Hegel, Kierkegaard, Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, Marx, Heidegger, Wittgenstein, Foucault, Deleuze, Derrida, and the analytics.

Congrats, you now have a basic idea about the philosophical tradition. Then you start over and read all the original texts in depth.
>>
Listen to Michael Sugrue on Plato

" Moby Dick is about a lot more than whales, and Socratic philosophy is about a lot more than a wise man walking around saying enigmatic, sometimes ironic things"

Plato, Socrates, and the Dialogues
Professor Michael Sugrue of Princeton

The dialogues share some general characteristics:

They are not a soliloquy, but rather a discussion.
They are not between equals (there is a teacher-student relationship).
Plato himself never speaks.
Each dialogue is a work of art, but all, taken together, constitute one huge artwork.
At the center of the form is irony.
The dialogues are very clearly intended to be a teaching tool.
Dr. Sugrue shows how each dialogue breathes with the feeling, the tension, and even the humor of great theater.

On a human level, they testify not only to the greatness of Plato's gifts, but to the loyalty, friendship, and dauntless love of learning that he shared with his beloved master.

A New Kind of Hero

https://youtu.be/mx5qg3dijnU
>>
>>8126461
This.
>>
>>8126462
That's also just the Western cannon. Indian mysticism and oral epics has theological worth, and the Islamic mathematicians of Avicenna and the like.

>inb4 sadfrogposters

I'm not saying you should read African philosophy, Christ. Although Augustine was.
>>
>>8126461
underrated post
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.