[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There's a Stephen King sale on local book store. What are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: 3389.jpg (11 KB, 177x266) Image search: [Google]
3389.jpg
11 KB, 177x266
There's a Stephen King sale on local book store. What are some must read Stephen King books?
>>
>>8126367
Salem's Lot
>>
misery and the shining
all Stephen King books are the same
>Alcoholic
>something spooky
>''omg it reflects Stephen Kings personal troubles!''

and repeat with next book
>>
>>8126395
Also
>main character is a writer
>there's a child character that's more mature and capable than the adults

Still pretty fun books imo.
>>
>>8126367
the stand
the dark tower series
on writing
>>
All of them.

He's a literary genius whose entire oeuvre digs deep into the psychotic mind.
>>
>>8126367
On writing.
Cell. Think 28 days later.
The Skeleton Crew, it's a compilation. I suggest reading the sort stories Sand World*, Survivor Type, The Jaunt, and The Mist. There's also another short story in there that is directly linked to Lovecraftian mythos.
Just after Sunset, another compilation. I suggest the short "N," it runs in the same vein of "The great God Pan."

*This may not be the actual name, my bad.
>>
>>8126395
You forgot Maine
>>
Obviously you'll want to read his horror classics, but read The Green Mile too. It's not set in Maine, isn't about an alcoholic writer, and there are no spoopy ghosts, so it's really refreshing.
>>
>>8126367
'the long walk', written under one of his alternate pen-names (i forget what it was)
>>
>>8126367
IT, Misery, the first gunslinger, The Shining.

Pet Semetary is one of the most disturbing horror stories ever poorly written
>>
Carrie Movie>>>>>>>>>>>Carrie book

Different Seasons has the shawshank redemption, stand by me, and Apt Pupil, all pretty great
>>
>>8126367
lisey's story and insomnia, his best works.
>>
>>8127334
This isn't true,
But The Shining movie is certainly better than the book.
>>
Save your money and buy real literature.
>>
>>8128158

>not applying this advice to /lit/

Are you even conscious?
>>
His Bachman books are all top-notch. His short story collections are pretty good, too. Especially Nightmares and Dreamscapes.
>>
>>8126982
>>8126413
Ahhhh cant believe i left out maine and protagonist writer!
>>
>>8128158
>If a lot of people like a book that means they are shit! T-thats why nobody likes my book cuz its so good that nobody wants to read it.
>>
>>8128715
>>8126367

Stephen King went though a coke phase and and accident phase, and all those stories and books are mostly just feeding his demons. He's gotten back on the horse again lately, and he isn't shit at all.
>>
>>8126367
Honestly I didn't mind The Stand. It was kind of cheesy, but it hit a sweet spot for me. Recommended.
>>
>>8126367
Firestarter
>>
are there any that aren't that scary?

I want to read one but I get scared easily, and then I don't sleep
>>
Salem
The Shinning
running Man
Misery
>>
>>8131844
avoid The Cell...it has a good opening but the book in general is full of shit and the ending is pure crap.
>>
File: 1261252898999.png (250 KB, 280x631) Image search: [Google]
1261252898999.png
250 KB, 280x631
>>8131804
>>
>>8131804
Running man, for sure
>>
>>8131804
>stephen king
>are there any that aren't that scary?
all of them
>>
>>8131995
haha the bottom guy looks a bit like simon cowell
>>
>>8132013
>>8131804
yeah. Whenever it gets scary you're sure that King wrote an entire paragraph out of nowhere about how the maine character loves bowling or something.
>>
>>8132198
>maine character
kek
>>
>>8132198
>one of the dark tower books
>entire chapter about how some random character can only get off by killing people
>>
Stephen King is an ugly cuck loser. Why would you read any of his books?
>>
>>8126395
>>8126413
>>8128782
There's a religious fundamentalist and an abusive parent.
>>
am i a faggot for liking 11.22.63? I thought it was fun
>>
I would say no King is a MUST read. Just a meh read. I dropped Cujo after 90 pages of fucking cereal talk.

And you guys all forgot that there's always a handjob scene.
>>
>>8134115
I dunno why the first part broke my heart.
It made me feel bad for the janitor.
I know treat all the cleaning people on my floor with much respect.
>>
File: CNW1a_rWgAA6Jb_.jpg (22 KB, 480x334) Image search: [Google]
CNW1a_rWgAA6Jb_.jpg
22 KB, 480x334
>>8134115
If you're a fag for liking it, I must suck a lot of cock because I loved it. Sharp and devastating, even if it follows all the King tropes and motifs.
>>
>>8127268
Tracy Chapman or something like that
>>
>>8134115
Agreed 11.22.63 is my favorite Stephen King book. I learned a lot about the kennedy assassination and I felt a connection to the characters.
Also, Pound Cake
>>
>>8126395
>Add pop culture or music reference
>Related characters and connections.
>>8126367
Personal favorite are The Stand, Night Shift and 'Saleom's Lot
>>
>On Writing
>The Stand
>IT
>The Dark Tower
>Pet Semetery
>>
>>8127268
Richard Bachman
>>
>>8128151
The movie is also not about the book
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.