[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Oh, literature? Yeah, I used to read some when I was a child.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5
File: file.png (115 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
file.png
115 KB, 320x240
>Oh, literature? Yeah, I used to read some when I was a child. Though I quickly moved on to truer art-forms, such as cinema and videogames, which are more capable of exploring the complexities of the human-condition. But sure, I guess that book about tennis team was okay.
>>
>>8125828
muh b8
>>
>>8125834
no m8
>>
>>8125828
ayy, I think the written word captures things those other mediums can't, but have almost thought this greentext to myself.

it's weird how people talk about how long they play games, like they're something for enjoyment; whereas with books it's usually how fast you can read them, like it's something you 'need' to do
>>
>>8127583
>speed running doesn't exist
Speeding through a game is the mastering of gameplay, even though I hate it
>>
>>8127583
i wish there were games out there that were as valuable as they are engaging. i don't think there's really a single game out there that's worth the time it takes to finish it if i'm being honest. and i've played a lot of pretty obscure stuff.

i used to want to make games too because i really like the form, but i can't think of a single project worth making.
>>
>>8127607
speed running is the mastering of autistic tricks
>>
>>8125828
>Than I quickly moved on to truer art-forms, such as shit-posting, which are more capable of exploring the complexities of the human-condition,
>>
Visual Novels are the best artform because you get literary-esque writing combined with mood fitting music and visuals.
>>
>>8127614
>>8127607
This is why I pretty much only attempt to speedrun games when I do play them. The aesthetics of the game as something to explore always fall flat, but the challenge and "elegance" of finding ways to beat it efficiently adds a new element to the whole thing.

Haven't bought a game in about a year though.
>>
>>8127620
the tricks people come up with are quite amazing, though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A

i'm honestly more interested in speed running than the games themselves nowadays
>>
>>8127614
I bought a PS4 to play Fallout 4. I played it for a week. I played GTA 5 up to preparing for the heist from the shipyard. I don't have the desire anymore. Howerver, I do enjoy running through Crash Bandicoot in a day or so every autumn, but even with the obvious improvements over the last GTA and Fallout being in the forefront of my mind I don't catch an enjoyment buzz from playing them anymore.

Even when I'm with the buds and they're playing GTA5 and having a roaring good time I have no desire to play. When I do pick up the controller I go through the motions of driving for a few minutes and then hand it back. I don't know, but didn't I cause enough mayhem back in 2002? Do I need to do it again but with more style this time?

And another thing, videogames are getting bigger and bigger and more life like and I think to myself "ah! this is it! finally a game I can immerse myself in!" but I find myself pretty quickly figuring out the parameters of what can be done in the game and getting bored because I know what I'll be doing and what's going to happen.

But I just finished my second reading of Gravity's Rainbow! I think that book won't bore me until the 4th read.
>>
>>8127701
>videogames are getting bigger and bigger
They're getting emptier and emptier if anything. More traffic! More empty wilderness! More doors you can't open and windows you can't see into!

I just see some of the worst parts of game design from 20 years ago being repeated over and over. Repetitive NPCs, almost non sensical puzzles, opaque dialogue choices that are unbelievable.

One day I hope to see light sources as good as Goldeneye on the N64 again and NPCs as decent as the old Deus Ex.
>>
>>8127747
Yeah that's what I meant to say! They seem* bigger but I quickly realize it's just a trick and put it down.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM-gZintWDc
>>
So is this a thread about dumbest things millenials are capable of saying?
>>
I agree with the OP to an extent. Reading novels is pretty much pointless unless you specifically enjoy it more than its visual counterparts.
>>
>>8127614
In terms of being engaging and thoughtful, Shadow of the Colossus has to be the best game I ever played. It had great gameplay as well. Basically it gives you a lit of downtime to ponder your actions and question the morality of what you're doing, which is something almost completely unique to the medium of video games, as you're involved as a direct agent in the story.
>>
>>8129749
This Shadow of the Colossus meme needs to stop, its embarrassing
>>
>>8129749
>as you're involved as a direct agent in the story.
not really, the story/game doesn't progress thru inaction

action is compulsory in nearly any video game with a narrative
>>
File: 1465119154306.jpg (13 KB, 188x182) Image search: [Google]
1465119154306.jpg
13 KB, 188x182
>>8129692

>So is this a thread about dumbest things millenials are capable of saying?

You weren't kidding. Fucking yikes.
>>
>>8125828
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xlfygqKco8
Apparently this is a film by that man
>>
>>8127614
>i don't think there's really a single game out there that's worth the time it takes to finish it if i'm being honest.
This could be true, but it's not because video games don't have a lot of value. It's more like the best video games with the most value tend to fall off near the end, so they aren't quite worth finishing. But they are definitely worth playing for the juicy bits. Dark Souls 1 is a really magical experience for the first 75% or so, and it alone could be a defense for video games.
>>
I feel like video games aren't ready to be called an art form. I'll admit I haven't played much, but their main purpose right now is to be time-wasters.

Any type of story line, books can do it better.
Any type of graphics, visual art (films, painting, etc.) can do it better.
And so far, video games have failed to reach the philosophical depth other forms of media have.

Anyone care to refute this; provide examples to the contrary
>>
>>8130580
It depends on what you want in a story, non-linear stories work better in dynamic mediums than static mediums.
>>
Guys, OP was being ironic. No need to out yourselves as retards who legit think videogames are art.
>>
>>8125828
I wouldnt necessarily agree with any one medium being automatically less legit than the other, but any one of them which simply tries to capitalize on their own medium (im literature! im a videogame! im a movie!" while neglecting every other element that comes into play is usually shallow

the creative process of my current project has been fairly interesting since I first designed it as a game, then turned it into a book, and will probably make the screenplay for a film before then adapting that back into a book

visual, imagery and every such element is extremely important in creating something that transcends mediums and isnt simply limited to calling itself "poetry" or "a movie"

then again I could probably write an entire book about the creative process of this project of mine
>>
>>8130580
My problem with them now is the progression go larger and larger teams and the reliance on more and more focus groups.

I don't inherently dislike the focus group type of thing either, but the way some game people use them is not good.
>>
File: image.jpg (200 KB, 1440x1440) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
200 KB, 1440x1440
The issue with how many people and companies use games as a narrative medium is they do it through the same methods as mediums they're familiar with...so it effectively becomes movie scenes interspersed with interactive parts.

Film, when first practiced and created, seemed to have an intuitive understanding of how to use motion and perspective in a way that was unique to them and combined the elements from prior mediums.

Very few video game devs have figured out how to use interactivity as a strong narrative medium

The other issue is that video games started as a time wasting medium rather than a narrative one. There was a narrative but it was of winning Vs losing, not intended to work with particular characters or philosophical themes
>>
OP is trolling but lit hates him because he exposes the pretentiousness.

Vidya doesn't have narrative power but Rothko and Enim's bedroom do... or something.

Just admit that you're sucking the dick of the academia-media-publishing industrial complex you pseuds
>>
>>8130580
you're right on those first two counts. even if one were to argue that the computer is capable of things as a visual medium that film and painting aren't capable of, i think that you'd be right in saying that the best way to exhibit those things would be in a cgi movie. i mean unless you want to make an interactive abstract art gallery. a lot of experimental devs make 'walking simulators' and do basically this, but frankly i think this is a creative dead end, and i am not all that interested in this sort of thing anymore.

the thing is, people are interested in computers as a medium not because of their story telling potential or visual art potential (unless they're desperate hacks) but because of their potential as a new, procedural artform. a computer as a medium is capable of things that film and literature are not. a computer can take input, perform a computation on that input, and then yield an output to some output device (a monitor or speakers or whatever). what kind of art can you make with this? that isn't a story or visual art? what kind of form does that take on?

we're still trying to figure that out. maybe there's nothing there but traditional Games. maybe humanity had it right all along with chess, go, basketball and all the attempts to do something new with interactivity are just desperate attempts to give meaning to the shitty life choice of putting all of your eggs into the basket of video game development.

i've been struggling with this shit myself, as someone who used to want to be an artist who uses video games as my medium. i have no fucking idea if there's any potential in interactivity anymore. frankly i have a hard time trying to provide you with an example of something remotely interesting that this culture has produced, with a straight face. i used to be into indie art games, alt games, but as i've grown up, i've grown out of nearly all of it, and prefer to spend my time reading books, listening to music, or watching films.

the only artist in games that i remotely respect anymore is increpare. and trust me i've played a lot of this sort of stuff. (https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/apr/02/increpare-the-genius-developer-who-gives-his-games-away-for-free)

http://www.increpare.com/2012/12/slave-of-god/
http://www.increpare.com/2014/11/cooking-for-lovers/
http://www.increpare.com/2014/10/wear-tear/
http://www.increpare.com/2014/02/universal-history-of-light/
http://www.increpare.com/2013/01/ollam-house/

i don't know, does anyone here think this stuff is interesting? am i delusional?
>>
>>8130580
idk if you're still reading this thread my dude but try out THE STANLEY PARABLE (source modification if you want it for free, steam game for $15) but it's interesting and makes you think about games and how narrow the spectrum of experiences depicted generally is
>>
> graduating to cinememe and vidya
> not to poetry and sculptor

lets get some sages in here, lads

in my day trolling still meant something
>>
>>8131948
>https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/apr/02/increpare-the-genius-developer-who-gives-his-games-away-for-free
seems like a bunch of gay shit desu
>>
>>8132262
what's gay about it?
>>
The only game worthy of a Patrician's time.
>>
>>8125828
>truer art-forms, such as cinema and videogames
> are more capable of exploring the complexities of the human-condition

oh my god what a b8
2/10 replied
>>
>>8125828
>not enjoying every art form
>>
>>8132481
I agree
>>
>>8127636

That's a fun video, thanks.
>>
>>8132336
>first image you see is a stick figure and something about crying
>hey you know other people have stories like their child dying or having other bad things happen to them
>dude your family is dead isn't that so sad
>"vignettes of potent and distilled humanity"
>patriarchy, oppression, sexualization of womens bodies
I didn't even catch the last few before I called it gay shit, now I know with utmost certainty that it is gay shit
>>
>>8132653
well the point of me posting that wasn't to demonstrate the writing ability of that critic, was it.

try some of the games if you want but you sound kind of retarded so maybe let's just leave it at that.
>>
>>8132677
it's not the words they used (okay one of those memearrows was) but the information about the "artist" they relayed which makes them seem no different than any of the other indie artfag hacks
>>
>>8125828
film is better than contemporary literature
>>
>>8132699
Name a single contemporary film that's better than Fight Club.
>>
>>8133454
ever seen 'Fight Club'?
>>
>>8133454
green room
>>
>>8129749
Came here to post this.

>>8130042
Did you play it? Be honest
>>
>>8133454
Choke
>>
>>8133454
Harry potter 1-3
>>
>>8133454
Synecdoche, New York
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.