[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Obscure lit - "I bet you ain't heard of this"-core
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 12
File: 220px-Urmuz_-_Foto01.jpg (19 KB, 220x347) Image search: [Google]
220px-Urmuz_-_Foto01.jpg
19 KB, 220x347
Post your favorite writers or books you don't think we've heard of but need to read.
Me first: Urmuz, Romanian writer and avant-garde cult hero.
>>
>>8125727
Potocki
>>
>>8125737
Jan Potocki, or Count Potocki de Montalk?
>>
>>8125727
Raymond Federman, Jacques Roubaud, Alexander Theroux--3 great nobodies that all of you should read.
>>
Ever heard of a guy named Stephen King? I'm kind of a book nerd, so I know about these kinds of people, lol
>>
>>8125755
Jan
>>
>>8125727
Saki.
>>
>>8125766
theroux is hardly unknown
>>
>>8125766
>>8125836
Actually none of those people are nobodies, especially not Roubaud. Anyone who pays attention to contemporary French literature would know about him.
>>
>>8125766
your fucking joking right
>>
Lit doesn't talk about Lewis Sinclair. Does he count?
>>
>>8125836
>>8125883
>>8125886
Pretty much no one here talks about them, which is what I thought the criteria for the thread was.
>>
>>8126015
>lewis sinclair
>>
>>8126035
Sorry I thought 4 chan went by Japanese naming systems?
>>
>>8126040

No, but we do use Hungarian naming conventions so you're still good pal.
>>
>>8125727
Tadeusz Borowski - 'This Way for the Gas, Ladies and Gentlemen'

Hermann Broch - 'The Sleepwalkers'
>>
>>8126058
>broch
>unknown
pick one
>>
>>8126064
I barely see him mentioned around here, though.

Jose Rizal - El Filibusterismo
Jose Rivera - The Vortex
Frans Eemil Sillanpaa - Meek Heritage
>>
>>8126064
This
>>
File: macedonio1.jpg (26 KB, 330x403) Image search: [Google]
macedonio1.jpg
26 KB, 330x403
I saw a post for him the other day, but he seems basically unknown to most people:
Macedonio Fernández.
>>
ITT people try to show how cultured they are by posting obscure authors while other anons show they are more cultured by declaring that every "intellectual " already knows those authors.
>>
>>8126077
Him and Ernesto Sabato.
>>
>>8125883
>Anyone who pays attention to contemporary French literature would know about him
So basically nobody knows him :^)
>>
I haven't heard of anyone cited in this thread.
Am I pleb?
>>
>>8126078

It's the essence of /lit/. I used to resent reddit for being so deep in the throes of the Heideggerian Das Man that any genuine expression was suffocated, but this place is much the same, difference being that here people are slaves of vanity rather than popular opinion.
>>
>>8126328
Lesser of two evils?
>>
my diary desu lad senpai
>>
>>8126328
>anon try to show how cultured he his be talking about the Heideggerian Das Man
>>
>>8126078
you're worst than this thread, because at least some people here genuinely wish to share fine authors whereas you're just angry people know things you don't
>>
thomas lovell beddoes
>>
Memoirs of a Superfluous Man
>>
File: gil_orlovitz_by_dofaust.jpg (203 KB, 775x1031) Image search: [Google]
gil_orlovitz_by_dofaust.jpg
203 KB, 775x1031
Gil Orlovitz. I'm sure some of you guys have heard of him and maybe even read Milkbottle H, but I don't think any of you have read his poetry, which is a shame because it is hella good.
>>
i read a book by erik orsenna called deux etes and liked it a lot. it's about a translator who goes to an island in northern france to try to translate nabokov's ada but is unable to. im pretty sure its not been translated into english.
>>
Ismail Kadare
>>
>>8127906
Sounds interesting. Explain more pls.
>>
>>8127899
Well if you go about it like that, I'm sure nobody here's read Victor Hugo's poetry either
>>
Just wanted to say

Giorgio Manganelli (though only a couple of his books were translated into English, Centuria and All the Errors)

Hakim Bey (TAZ and Other Essays is a great mockery of philosophical/political writing, plus it's great fun)

Gary Shipley (Dreams of Amputation is great, the Face Hole a bit less; still hoping someone will publish Crypt(o)spasm again)
>>
>>8126077
thanks
>>
File: stachura.jpg (52 KB, 354x540) Image search: [Google]
stachura.jpg
52 KB, 354x540
>>8126058
>Borowski
I thought he's well known. In Poland he's really popular and important. Mostly for showing the Holocaust, his disappointment with Western culture after seeing the war, and after the war, his disappointment with the communists, because of which he killed himself.

Outside of Poland I think that my favourite author, Edward Stachura is pretty unknown. Although it's probably because his works weren't translated to English, I think that some of his poetry was translated by his friend, Michel Deguy to French.

Another polish writer that I could recommend is Andrzej Stasiuk, and I'm sure that some of his books were translated, although I don't know if they are good, because the way he writes is really important, and it may be lost in translation.
>>
File: hlasko.jpg (118 KB, 511x700) Image search: [Google]
hlasko.jpg
118 KB, 511x700
>>8132585
Marek Hłasko is another great Polish writer, his novels and short stories ask many important questions and show the situation, the world in which he lived. Even though some of his books and themes are dark, his works are really enjoyable.
>>
File: Machado_de_Assis_aos_57_anos.jpg (240 KB, 1091x1600) Image search: [Google]
Machado_de_Assis_aos_57_anos.jpg
240 KB, 1091x1600
>>
File: Gaston Miron.jpg (122 KB, 1160x955) Image search: [Google]
Gaston Miron.jpg
122 KB, 1160x955
Possibly the greatest Canadian poet.
>>
File: rafal_wojaczek.jpg (15 KB, 500x315) Image search: [Google]
rafal_wojaczek.jpg
15 KB, 500x315
>>8132598
>>8132585
>>8132598
>>8132585
And the last one is one of Polish poetes maudites - Rafał Wojaczek.

His poetry is rather dark and depressive. He was fascinated with female body, sexuality, often in a turpistic way. He was an alcoholic and committed suicide. I think that many of you will his poetry.
>>
>>8125727

I want to read Urmuz but everything he's written seems to be out of print in English.
>>
>>8132604
lol are you fucking high
>>
>>8132637
I haven't seen anyone talking about him on /lit/.
>>
>>8132641
>>8132637
Speaking of, best tranny?
>>
>>8132618
lol saul_goodman.jpg
>>
>>8132636
pirated ebook's widely available, so are random translations on various websites because his pieces are so short
>>
>>8125798
I remember having to read him in high school.
>>
File: panero.jpg (19 KB, 560x372) Image search: [Google]
panero.jpg
19 KB, 560x372
Leopoldo María Panero. Kind of our Spanish Bukowski, but actually good. Real life absolute madman. I read a shitton of his poems when I was 16, but I barely remember anything. I might check them again in the summer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc0f_VI9Jpc
>>
Mak Dizdar
Ivo Andric
>>
Probably not among the truly obscure, but my favourite book is, to give its full title, 'The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner: Written by Himself: With a detail of curious traditionary facts and other evidence by the editor'.

It inspired Jekyll and Hyde and has elements of what would later become the Rashomon-effect as two different narrators detail a murder case with a 'possible' supernatural element and each is given a reason to be distrusted by the reader.

It has philosophical elements in that it addresses an underpinning of the Calvanist religion, that a member of the Calvanist faith can become 'predestined' for heaven and this is irrevocable despite their actions in life, by taking it to the logical extreme of supposing such a person destined for heaven should commit the greatest sin possible (literally befriending Satan incarnate).

The author also planted fake stories about a murder matching one in the book in a newspaper a year before the book was published to lend the fake memoir featuring Satan an eerie credibility.

Disclaimer: you may need to be Scottish to be able to understand this book
>>
>>8132618
Uuuhhh..... y'mean Shane Koyczan??
>>
Not obscure but lost a lot of popularity in the recent decades.
>>
>>8129219
I read it.
I think Hugo is an amazing poet but a decent novellist.
>>
File: Boutang.jpg (541 KB, 926x1024) Image search: [Google]
Boutang.jpg
541 KB, 926x1024
>>8136059
lol

http://www.ina.fr/video/I00018426
>>
>>8125727
Eric Chevillard. I've only read one book of his--Prehistoric Times. It's full of po-mo weird silliness, funny sometimes, and the musings of the mc spiraling towards insanity inside a cave are interesting.
>>
I wouldn't want you to read it.

/lit/ stains everything it touches.
>>
>>8136488
Somwhat well-known among readers in France
>>
ooone last bump
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.