[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>hear about pic related for ages >finally pick it up >read
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: siddhartha.jpg (175 KB, 401x680) Image search: [Google]
siddhartha.jpg
175 KB, 401x680
>hear about pic related for ages
>finally pick it up
>read it in one sitting
>it's fucking amazing
Siddhartha discussion?
>>
>>8125297
I want to talk about it op, i swear.
but i cannot transfer you my wisdom :^)
>>
>>8125297
Same for me OP

I need to go work on a ferry or something now

But really it was amazing. What should I read if I loved this book?
>>
>>8125297
it really would have been better if govinda had whipped out siddhartha's floppy cock and blew it for hours. i felt robbed, honestly.
>>
>>8125297
sorry OP too busy starving myself to discuss it, I'll get back too you when i can walk on water
>>
>>8125310
I loved how well demonstrated that point was. It was especially alarming how much of an indictment it was of Buddhism but with the weirdest backhanded support at the same time. I think Hesse was absolutely correct about wisdom strictly being the result of personal experiential journeys. It made me think a lot about my former marriage and how people tried to warn me but I never realized what a mistake it was until I had to wake up day after day next to her thinking that that was it. Siddhartha was so relatable.
>>
File: 1464916147894.png (549 KB, 591x592) Image search: [Google]
1464916147894.png
549 KB, 591x592
>reading it at park
>lady start talking to me and asks what I am reading
>show her the cover
>she laughs

what does it mean?
>>
>>8125297
You have to be at least 18 years old to post on this website.
>>
>>8125380
I am
>>
>>8125379
means you're a pleb.
>>
>>8125383
Then you have undiagnosed intellectual disability.
>>
>>8125380
>he's too pretentious to enjoy hesse
laughingrivers.jpg
>>
>>8125388
How do you know it's undiagnosed?
>>
Let me guess, you are a weed reliant undergraduate?
>>
>>8125397
No, I'm an alcoholic.
>>
>>8125403
Embarrassing.
>>
>>8125297
Also just finished this. Really good book. However, I was upset that there weren't any bragging stories of Sid's sexual magic powers and how he could use them to blast twenty prostate contractions like a machine gun per second.
>>
>>8125297
It felt very sterile, like a love affair with an elderly proctologist. A wikipedia-researched book before wikipedia.
>>
>>8125297
From what I remember of reading it for high school, it was very good. Liked the sort of Taoist ending, the whole book was extremely comfy. Made me want to read more of his stuff, haven't gotten around to it yet though.
>>
>>8125297
>dude abandon your family to ride rafts lmao
This book is lame, buddhism is a meme religion.
>>
>>8125465
the book isn't buddhist.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1454397
>>
I've read this, now what books by Hesse should I read next?
>>
All the differing paths to peace reminded me a lot of Job.
>>8125465
It's hardly buddhist.
>>
>>8125586
steppenwolf
>>
>>8125586
I read Siddhartha then Demian. Demian I found to be a less sterile, more relatable story. It's written less like a parable and more like a standard novel, but definitely still Hesse's style.
>>
File: 1451267585491.png (324 KB, 1391x7670) Image search: [Google]
1451267585491.png
324 KB, 1391x7670
>>
>>8125685
What website is this?
>>
>>8125688
goat.se
>>
Siddharta is decent, but The Glass Bead Game is Hesse's better work.
>>
>>8125667
I thought Steppenwolf had a great surrealist middle and climax, but ended in a pretty abrupt and unspecial note.

>that psychological manuscript on the Steppenwolves at the begginning
10/10 stuff. Hesse seemed like a cool guy. The only thing that annoyed me slightly about Sidharttha (which is a favourite novella of mine) is how each of his conclusions didn't have a huge range of reasons behind him. You couldn't make an academic paper on the nature of time with reference to a river and the mysticism almost amounted to romantic guesses at time. I understand that's slightly the point of the book, that enlightenment is a subjective experience, that you can't explain things in definite terms, and words certainly aren't capable of grapping those more elusive moments of divinity - but I liked seeing a more grounded book like Steppenwolf which had more of a build up of causes behind the psychological state of the novel and the character (Sidharttha just leaving his dad and giving it almost no thought always struck me as robotic).
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.