[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on the movie?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: teott.png (452 KB, 927x385) Image search: [Google]
teott.png
452 KB, 927x385
Thoughts on the movie?
>>
>>8123277
it was pretty good i thought the first time and then watched it stoned with friends and realized that the sound editing is really good, stuff like car honks in the background at the right times, and then I think I came to the conclusion that I can't envision a better dfw biopic
>>
>>8123277
It caricaturized him to some extent but it's more subtle than people think.
>>
Is there anyone who actually disliked the movie?
>>
>>8123311
Brett Easton Ellis

Don't know why DFW deserved a biopic. He had one halfway-decent novel (Infinite Jest) in an entire bibliography filled with dookie like The Broom of the System.
>>
>>8123338
bruh up simba is possibly one of the most relevant cutting edge pieces of writing about the american electoral process, just to name a few
>>
>>8123338
He deserved a biopic because he was more than a literary figure, he was made into a spectacle already when he was alive.
>>
File: t.png (284 KB, 252x603) Image search: [Google]
t.png
284 KB, 252x603
FUCKING great movie

anyone who criticizes it: my great-uncle works at the DEA and i will find you and kill you dog and use its hide to suffocate you goddamn sinner bitch
>>
>>8123277
>I'm writer
>>
>>8123277
>>8123384
Can someone edit this to " I'm writer, I'm writer, I'm writer," ?
>>
>>8123581
This is writer.
>>
>>8123581
i would if someone gave me a raw screenshot or linked me to the clip somewhere, but i'm not gonna bother doing a shoddy edit of OP's screenshot
>>
I was expecting a lot worse. Jason Segel surprisingly did a pretty good job as DFW, just going off of comparing the mannerisms to that of existing interviews and whatnot.

Jesse Eisenberg was his usual faggy self though, so that detracted from it.
>>
What's the "I'm writer" meme?
>>
>>8124894
some faggot started a thread about how DFW's writing made him cry and ended the post by saying "I'm writer." when he probably meant "I'm a writer" thus an epic /lit/ meme was born, to join the pantheon of corn and john green
>>
>>8124990
Can you explain corn to me? I've never understood that one
>>
>>8125160
The corn meme is actually pretty fascinating because it's two separate memes that have smooshed into one.

The first part of it is that there's a particular translation of Julius Caesar's account of the Gallic Wars, "De Bello Gallico." The account talks a lot about wheat, since Caesar, being supreme commander, is highly focused on the logistics of the conquest; however, this particular translation for some reason translated "wheat" as "corn," so every ten pages or so you have 'corn' mentioned, even though it isn't actually corn.

That's the first part. The second part is related to Vladimir Nabokov's infamous criticism of William Faulkner as, and I quote, "a writer of corncobby chronicles." This mention of corn gradually blended into the earlier mention of corn, and Nabokov thus became known as the Corn Father, whom you have to pledge to if you don't want your prose to be mediocre.

I think that's it. Someone let me know if I missed anything.
>>
>>8125188
Don't forget that Cormac McCarthy often gets compared to Faulkner in terms of the subject matter and prose stylism in his books, hence his labeling of Corncob Tortillas Yecarthy on this board (tortillas of course coming from the fact that they are recurringly mentioned in McCarthy novels for various reasons).
>>
>>>8125188
Thanks anon
>>
>>8125200
And the Ye? Sorry, never read McCarthy.
>>
>>8123296
>that I can't envision a better dfw biopic
ill help:
remove the retarded melodramatic subplot with the girls and dfw taking him aside and being like "wow really uncool dude!"

film wouldve been much better with no contrived conflict desu senpai
>>
>>8123353
>bruh
Stopped reading there
>>
>>8125228
>contrived
But it was entirely natural. As in it was based on real events that emerged spontaneously
>>
>>8123311
>Is there anyone who actually disliked this trendy indie trash.

Can we just ban everyone who likes this movie or shit like it? They don't care about art and have no place on this board.
>>
>>8125237
it wasnt in Although of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself tho
>>
>>8125228
The moment was only melodramatic because DFW pathologically chose to make it melodramatic, that's perfectly legitimate to include in a biopic
>>
>>8125211
It pops up a lot in his books as well.
>>
>>8125188
Didn't someone get raped with a corncob in one of Faulkner's novels?
>>
>>8125188
'corn' is a generic term for the predominate grain crop of a region regardless of species, it's a perfectly valid use.
>>
>>8123380
sauce?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.