[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is "Lolita" a meme? While first part of the novel is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: lolita97_04[1].jpg (14 KB, 448x287) Image search: [Google]
lolita97_04[1].jpg
14 KB, 448x287
Is "Lolita" a meme? While first part of the novel is intelligent, a little bit perverse, and with wicked sense of humor, the second consist mostly redundant descriptions, and unchewable chunks of purple prose. I'm not feeling like I waste my time by reading it, but stop treating "Lolita" as something greater than it really is.
>>
>>8123064
it's supposed to be like that. you're too stupid to understand it apparently
>>
>>8123064
>intelligent, perverse, and with wicked sense of humor
don't you mean nihilistic and with wicked sense of humor OP?
>>
File: 1421091269140.jpg (23 KB, 398x400) Image search: [Google]
1421091269140.jpg
23 KB, 398x400
>>
>>8123064
>Doritos, light of my life, cheese on my fingers. My hunger, my munchies. Do-ree-toes: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Do. Ree. Tos. It was chips, plain chips, during lunch, weighing one-point-eight ounces in one hand. It was Cheesy Nacho for snacks. It was Cooler Ranch at school. It was Salsa Verde in the shopping line. But in my mouth it was always Doritos.
>>
>>8123077
No...
>>
>>8123074
>>8123079
>they fell for it
>>
It's not a meme. The book can be divided into three sections, all with a different atmosphere and style:
1. The set-up, which is the part you accurately described as perverse and funny.
2. The "travelogue" bit, which includes heartbreaking descriptions of the narrator's relationship with Dolores. Very bittersweet, filled with elaborate, poetic prose.
3. The part where the narrator sees his world crumble, becomes obsessed with killing, all leading up to a very satisfying climax.

It is a very great book. Don't call it bad just because you like certain sections more than others.
>>
>>8123097
Well I'm not saying it's bad, just overrated.
>>
That's what romance is. An exhilarating hunt where everything in the beginning is so full of light and promise and where you project all sorts of delightful qualities upon your quarry. Then the love is requited, chemical madness sated, and the more time you spend with the person the more you come to realize that they don't fit into the image you've constructed of them. There's some Shakespeare quote that I've forgotten about feasts always seeming more delicious when anticipated than when actually consumed.
>>
>>8123074
The first part is written as erotica. Getting bored at the second part when Lo has grown up and it's no longer erotica means you're now outed as a pedo.
>>
>>8123116
All because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's overrated.
>>
It's one of the best examples of unreliable narration in literature.

What better way to approach this style of storytelling than to try and make you sympathize with a pedophile?
>>
>>8123074
>le its supposed to suck mime

I hope the summer Olympics sets off a real life analog to Children of Men. This species ought to be expunged from the earth.
>>
>>8123293
He never said its supposed to suck. He said the qualities OP thinks make it suck are actually deliberate and have a functioning role in the text.

Agreed on the second part, though.
>>
I love it, but I'm a pedophile. I'm kind of curious what normal people think of Humbert, especially his rant in Part 1 Chapter 5.
>>
File: 2016-05-31-09-57-19-49396414.jpg (6 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-31-09-57-19-49396414.jpg
6 KB, 300x168
>people actually think that the parts that suck are supposed to suck, so it's great because the writer supposedly had it in mind for it to suck
>>
>>8124493
see
>>8123305
>>
File: 1464114750825.jpg (33 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1464114750825.jpg
33 KB, 500x333
>>8124505
>it doesn't suck, just the portions that suck do suck because they have the purpose to suck, and they suck in a specific way to suck and... and... and...
>STOP DISLIKING WHAT I LIKE, MY TASTE IS GREATNESS

Never change /lit/, never change.
You may as well go to reddit.
>>
>>8123064
You may just have stumbled onto the greatest insight in modern times

People will remember this moment for generations to come

Yes, OP has finally made the realization that will change all of literature, and all of humanity, as we know it

OP has discovered that tastes in literature is subjective
>>
>>8124493
I don't think there was any parts that sucked. what do you have in mind though?
>>
File: 1465047415265.png (84 KB, 300x325) Image search: [Google]
1465047415265.png
84 KB, 300x325
finished it last night (or this morning considering I read up to 5 and haven't slept yet)

popped many a bone throughout and had to pause for a wank every now and then, but the book successfully killed all urges to fap to loli
was quite surprised when they actually fugged, pretty brave of Nabokov to write all those scenes
>>
I finished the book yesterday and enjoyed the second half way more. Those 'unchewable chunks of purple prose' were part of the humor for me.
Also
Be true to your Dick.
>>
>>8123116
litterature is overated
>>
>>8125652
>I don't think
Case closed.
>>
>>8126657
Fuck no, it's the only thing, that is worth exploring.
>>
>>8123064
My favorite book is Lolita; intelligent, a little bit perverse, and with wicked sense of humor
>>
>>8123064

I never thought I would find this much meaning in a meme. This has made me realize that I don't need meme's to make me happy. That I am addicted to them. That I don't control the memes, they control me. And I say that I can stop anytime I want but... I can't. I don't want to. The memes give me life and purpose but, do I need memes to be happy? What is happiness if not a good doggo meme? What is internet cancer if not LeafyIsHere? Am I internet cancer? Probably, but why can't I be a meme. On all levels except physical I am a meme, but is that a good thing? Are memes a good thing or just another passing of humanity? Will aliens see our memes when they come down to our war rot planet and think, "How could people this cancerous make weapons this destructive?" Will memes be how we are remembered? With a doggo meme or two and dat boi? I've gone on a tangent and I don't know why you've read this if you did but fun fact that isn't actually fun, the average weight of a pygmy goat is 35 pounds. I'm sad that I know that off the top of my head... Damn. Got to go meme again.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.