[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have any of you guys read pic related? How is it, and is it worth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: manwithoutqualities.jpg (46 KB, 307x476) Image search: [Google]
manwithoutqualities.jpg
46 KB, 307x476
Have any of you guys read pic related? How is it, and is it worth the time spent? How difficult is it to read, compared to, say, the memes? I've heard great things about it, but I wondered what you semen demons had to say about it.
>>
>>8121884
i picked it up a few months back, i read a few pages, then i leafed through it, noting that every
single
fucking
page
is lines and lines and lines and lines of dialogue. it looks fairly prolix and dense, probably a novel of ideas. I'm sure it's brilliant and all, I'll eventually get around to it, but It doesn't look like a book where anything actually happens. a vaguely hidden philosophy novel. but what do i know? nothing. don't ask me. i don't know anything.
>>
>>8121898
thanks for the post I guess
>>
>>8121905
what kind of books do you like?
>>
>>8121909
I'm a big fan of a lot of the modernists like Proust, Joyce, Woolf, Rilke, etc. I know Musil is in that tradition so that's why I was thinking of checking him out.
>>
>>8121939
well then he's probably worth a shot? i have more plebby tastes it seems, i like overt plot and lots of plebby structure. I don't even belong on this board, frankly.
>>
>>8121898
>>8121954
Piss off, bogan.
>>
>>8121955
see, this is the guy you should ask, he probably knows more than i do

hey, anon, what do you think of the book? instead of concentrating on me, maybe help this nice anon with his question?
>>
Just read it and find out for yourself.
>>
>>8121968
You see, I normally would, but this book is quite a lengthy one and I am quite the busy man these days
>>
yeesh, this place is so toxic. i think i'm gonna go back to r/literature
>>
>>8121884
It's a masterpiece, and you should read it. It's a philosophical novel, the plot isn't really important.
>>
>>8121884
Absolutely yes. In my opnion it's one of the must-reads, but it's not too light of a read.
>>
I read that exact version and it was very boring. I was expecting something similar to Pessoa but it's just boring shit page after page and some occasional prolonged theoretical essays. Not feelsy at all. Wouldn't have been published today.
>>
>>8121884
It's not hard to read, it's just hard to finish because it's super long and the plot goes nowhere and isn't interesting enough to justify the length. When I started it I was deeply in love with the style and the feeling evoked by the cognitive style of the protagonist's perspective. Felt very familiar to my own brand of overthinking, only tinged in an extremely comfy Austrian environment. It's my father's favourite novel.
>>
>>8121898
>It doesn't look like a book where anything actually happens
Perfect, I'll be getting it then, thanks!
>>
>>8122424
>It's my father's favourite novel.
Wow... pretty boss choice.
>>
Did anybody read his "On Stupidity"?
>>
>>8122478
Also curious about The Confusions of Young Torless, which seems to me like it may be a better introduction to his work?...
>>
>>8122504
I read Young Torless and it a bad book. It's just plain bad. Musil has this tendency to write very boring narrative action and then interrupt it with like three pages of theoretical writing, in Torless mostly about math and spirituality. I really don't think he's that good a writer.
>>
>>8122504
Yes, it's short, and nicely gay
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.