[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I a pleb if I don't read Canterbury tales in the original
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: pilgrims.jpg (189 KB, 421x650) Image search: [Google]
pilgrims.jpg
189 KB, 421x650
Am I a pleb if I don't read Canterbury tales in the original Middle English? I started off with Coghill's translation, but I soon some weird anachronisms in the language, but the original is a tough nut to crack. What a dilemma I'm in fellas.
>>
It's not really that hard, you just need to get used to it. Get the Riverside edition; the textual notes explain all the things that won't be immediately appreciable to a contemporary reader. It helps a lot to read it out loud to yourself. But reading a modern translation is just retarded. Rather spend the hours acclimatising yourself and you'll enjoy it much more. It will also let you read other Middle English literature for which there aren't so often translations into modern English.
>>
Yeah. If you can already ready English with ease, this is one occasion where the
>translation
meme should be taken without a grain of irony. Just be sure to get an annotated version and look into the pronunciation.
>>
>>8121303

Start by reading it out loud, and look at annotations as mentioned above. Eventually you'll understand it like an accent or regional dialect. The rhyme structure helps.
>>
>>8121303

If you're very comfortable with english, you should be able to learn how to read Middle English without much problems. Here's a useful site to read:
http://sites.fas.harvard.edu/~chaucer/teachslf/less-0.htm
>>
holy shit that cover is real
>>
>>8121303
Chaucer's middle english is easier than other varieties (Gawain and the Green Knight for instance). It'll be dense for a few pages but after ten you should have it down.
>>8121424 is right about reading aloud. Really helps.

If you can't get the hang of it, don't worry. A translation is fine.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.