[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Typewriters
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: 165841_098481_c.jpg (23 KB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
165841_098481_c.jpg
23 KB, 240x180
Do you own one /lit/ ? Do you want one ?
Is it worth it ? Typewriter thread
>>
>>8120430
Yes I have 2, one being more modern and electric. They aren't worth it.
>>
I used to have one as a kid. They're inferior to computers in every way except the cool sounds they make when you type.
>>
It will probably end up sitting around if you buy one but it is pretty cool to ink stamp. Can be "problematic" to keep maintained as well
>>
>>8120430
besides aesthetical reasons?
no

>i forgot to push back the bar
>shit, the last bit of the sentence is a splatter of ink

>shit, i made a typo
>manuscript ruined for eternity
>unless you lose that nasty ass whiteout

>fuck, i phrased that wrong
>whiteout again, nigger

>shit, i stuck the 'e' key
>gotta go rip it out and probably break it
>>
for pseudo-intellectuals only
>>
>>8120430
No and no. I have no idea why anyone would want one in this day and age. Even as a conversation piece, it'd just be the faggiest thing ever.
>>
>>8120430
Unless you can get one free like I did, don't get one.
Get a notepad instead.
>>
>>8121536
Or a graph paper notebook, one of those really cheap ones and a pilot pen. That's what I write on/with.
>>
>>8120430
A fairly old one that sits at my feet under the desk in its case. It was my great grandmother's. It's been a very long time since I've used it, but it's a neat little thing to have .
>>
>>8121536
>>8121557
I am not really a handwriting type of person ... I thought though that a typewriter has a romantic feel that motivates you to write/type ... No ?
>>
>>8120613
Also eye strain.
Also they make it harder to edit while writing, therefore you spend more time writing than FUCKING EDITING. (optional)
Also electricity (expenses, electromagnetic radiation, environment pollution) +independence from power outages

>>8121518
>makes an active effort to contemplate what minor choices and behaviors in life make one ""unavoidably"" come off as pseudo-intellectual
>not pseudo-intellectual
pick one, mr. community-college tenure
>>
>>8122646
>I thought though that a typewriter has a romantic feel that motivates you to write/type ... No ?
You're the worst sort of pseud for saying this.
>>
>>8122840
> trying so hard
>>
>>8122866
>buying an obsolete piece of shit because it has a "romantic feel that motivates you"
>saying others are trying too hard.
lmao
>>
>>8122698
What third world shithole do you live in that power outages are something you plan around?
>>
>>8122840
>>8122871

I really can't take seriously a guy who thinks he is somekind of an intellectual badass just because he read 3-4 books and browses /lit/.

If you can't contribute , don't waste my time

2/10 for making me replying
>>
>>8122934
No one will take a guy who needs his "romantic" clickety clack machine to even "motivate" him to write seriously.
>>
>>8122955
Okay anon
>>
Luddites.
>>
>>8122646
Jesus no. You should be motivated to write because you have something to tell
>>
>>8122886
Whoa, someone seems not to understand the concept of dialectics.

For me personally the selling point is eye strain, but who gives a fuck about me personally? Typewriters are independent from power outages, end of story.

Did you maybe have a counter-argument?
>>
I'm interested in them primarily because I like that rhythmic clacking, and how at the single press of a key, a letter is formed in an in-direct physical link for the contents of your mind to form in physical reality.

Also, I had bought an electronic one from some grannies at a garage sale for ten bucks, but when I got it home and tested it, everything seemed to work, but the motor must have had a broken gear or something, it wouldn't automatically go to the next line, meaning you'd have to manually turn the indexing knob-wheel-thing and that was just tiresome and resulted in messy misalignment.
It was nice how tactile it felt, and how noisy it was.
It was fun, so I'm still wondering what an actual mechanical one would be like, but I'd probably never pay more than garage sale prices for one though.
>>
I have a nostalgic feeling of using my father's typewriter as a kid but haven't made any extensive effort to acquire one of my own. A friend told me they felt it made them write better because of the sense of permanence, but to me it seems like it would only make revising more of a chore than it already is.
>>
>>8121557
Okay Pynchon
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.