[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
when /lit/ WHEN
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
when /lit/
WHEN
>>
just watch the show, it's better anyways.
>>
>>8120252
Hopefully never. Terrible, terrible writer.

>>8120264
This too. It's sad when the fucking screenwriters are better than the original author is.
>>
>>8120264
>>8120269
disgusting
>>
>>8120277
Not as disgusting as actually wanting to read GURRRM's drivel. Even among authors of genreshit he's one of the absolute worst.
>>
>>8120277
It's better to see all the sex and gore than to just read about it.
>>
>>8120324
>>8120294

Gotta agree with these guys. If I wanted some of the plots that GRRM is ripping off, I could study actual history. If I want to see A-List TV celebs murder each other and show some beautiful puss and ass, I can get my fix abundantly watching the show. Also, it's one of the rare things nowadays you can watch with a girl and not have to wonder if they're into it or not.
>>
>>8120252
After GRRM dies and someone else has to finish writting it
>>
>>8120252
Sometimes after the show finishes, then he'll pop his clogs before writing the next book.
>>
File: youre-a-douche.jpg (22 KB, 239x300) Image search: [Google]
youre-a-douche.jpg
22 KB, 239x300
>>8120324
>>8120294
>>8120356
>>
>>8120252
hopefully never
>>
Anyone else been watching the new filmed versions of Henry VI and Richard III? They're clearly trying to GoT it up and it's actually working really nicely.
>>
>>8121927
Haha sorry that we insulted your harry pottter tier bullshit
>>
>tfw Rome was much better than GoT but only got two seasons
>>
ITT: People jealous of GRRM because they can't write a story even 1/100th as entertaining. Nobody will ever care about your scribblings

>b-but my prose is better!

lmao, if the critique thread is any indication, it sure fucking isn't
>>
>>8120252
not literature
>>
Uhhh season 6 is already airing stupid anon. The books are now the fan fiction.

it's never getting finished, are you delusional bro? he's 67 years old. look at the dates between his published books so far.
>>
>>8122065
If 'better than your average hopeful on /lit/' is your standard for good literature, anon, then good news! There are about 10,000 billion great works of literature out there waiting for you!
>>
File: le smug genre fiction writer.jpg (29 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
le smug genre fiction writer.jpg
29 KB, 620x413
>>8122065
>Sunset found her squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up she was shitting brown water. The more she drank, the more she shat, but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew, and her thirst sent her crawling to the stream to suck up more water.
>>
>>8122076

There's only about 3-5 genre authors at the top of the name recognition list

Stephen King, J.K. Rowling, GRRM, that's about it. I can't even remember the name of the person who wrote Hunger Games.

No, I'm not saying popularity equals quality. I'm saying that if someone has reached a level of popularity that is higher than everyone else by a HUGE margin, then there are reasons for that you probably won't like.
>>
File: Imagination intensifies.jpg (130 KB, 832x690) Image search: [Google]
Imagination intensifies.jpg
130 KB, 832x690
>>8122092

>there are reasons for that you probably won't like.

Obviously, the plebeianism, tastelessness and intellectual poverty of the masses.

This goes beyond literature. Take music, for example; you have Justin Bieber, Minaj, etc. Very popular, of course; but does it follow that they're good?

On the contrary; in the modern day, you can safely assume that anything popular is invariably bad - with very rare exceptions. That's partly why /lit/ exists.
>>
>>8122082
is this real famo
>>
>>8122096
Thanks for making me laugh out loud in this dreary afternoon anon. Cheers.
>>
>>8122082
Beautiful
>>
>>8120252
SUNSET
>>
>>8122096
" if you find yourself on the side of the majority it is time to pause and reflect"
Mark twain

One of my favourite quotes and you sir are correct in what you say
>>
>>8122096
beautiful
>>
>>8122111
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).
- Notebook, 1904

When you set aside mere names & come down to realities, you find that we are ruled by a King just as other absolute monarchies are. His name is The Majority. He is mighty in bulk & strength ... He rules by the right of possessing less money & less brains & more ignorance than the other competitor for the throne, The Minority. Ours is an Absolute Monarchy.
- unsent letter to Bayard Taylor, June 10, 1878. Published in Mark Twain at Large by Arthur L. Scott

To be fair I think this was a pretty politically charged quotation.
>>
>>8122111
It's actually kind of ironic you would say this because the (vocal) majority of readers and writers on this board have actually bandwagoned this idea. You are actually on the side of the majority.

Does anyone remember all the threads on DwD back in 2011? Do we remember when "we" liked GRRM? Board culture is so toxic.
>>
>>8121956
No, but I'll check it out.

>>8122063
My bruv. They did so much with what they were given, though. It's rewatchable as well.

>>8122065
You think anyone who can actually write needs help from people who don't even read? Wew, lad. I hope those threads are only high school students.

>>8122092
Suzanne Collins. Stephenie Meyer is recognisable, so there's yer five. They reached that level of popularity because they appeal to people who want to read but aren't very smart. The only ones I can see standing the test of time are "Harry Potter," but not because they're good.

>>8122096
I agree. I haven't heard Bieber or Minaj, but shite composers like Rachmaninoff and Tchaikovsky are popular. Are they good? Fuck no, but they're meant for the mentally destitute. They serve the purpose of idiots feeling superficially cultured, so Bieber and Minaj fill the same function as making the average person feel hip and with it, I suppose.

>>8122100
Yes.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Funny/ADanceWithDragons
>>
>>8122130
I tried to like these books. I really tried. I remember participating in some of the threads to try and fit in, but I stopped caring since then. It's been five years. Some of my mates still 'avin' a go at the telly show, but I've moved on to uva fings.
>>
>>8122140
Well if it's truly your own opinion, then congratulations, you avoid my umbrage. But I just can't stand to see an enthusiastic thread where everyone but the OP is saying the same thing. inb4 samefagging and "OP is always a faggot" and trivial things like that. This is just a really poor showing either because everyone posting really believes this or one person started slinging (literal) shit and everyone joined in the familiar fray. Either way, it's the dogma of opinions on this board that makes me avoid it so frequently. People have gotten down to having actual stock opinions about GRRM, such that it's very rare I see anything that isn't a canned meme or one of those trivial YA-hating pseudointellectuals who think that reading is an activity of the elite only.
>>
>>8122148
by "showing" I mean like, representation of opinions. I know that may sound horribly Tumblrite but it's just not healthy to see such one-sided hatred for something. There's no discussion here.
>>
>>8122096
If you wanted to look smart, I'm afraid that using Top 40 artists as a proof of your excellent taste doesn't really suffice.
>>
>>8122157

>I Can't Read: The Post
>>
>>8122160
I guess I just meant to say you could've tried to be a bit more erudite than the ol' obvious scarecrow opinions about what's shite. You just sound like one of those 13 year olds posting comments on YouTube who likes "real music." I'd like to see you give some examples of what's shit that some people may think is impossible to call that. That would show me you had an actual brain.
>>
File: Spookules.jpg (10 KB, 171x250) Image search: [Google]
Spookules.jpg
10 KB, 171x250
>>8122172

>the ol' obvious scarecrow opinions about what's shite

The difference that people, millions of them, do genuinely think that the examples given are great. Sometimes a spade's a spade, I don't need to dig out any obscure examples, when the blindingly obvious will do.

>I'd like to see you give some examples of what's shit that some people may think is impossible to call that.

The difference is that I am right in doing so.
>>
>>8122176
Yes but it's not interesting at all. You make a glib argument. Maybe I hate GRRM and all the rest and just fucking LOVE Nicki Minaj. Maybe I have a conception of a guilty pleasure that isn't so guilty because it's mine. You know, reading brings us all closer to God, no matter what we're reading, because it's an experience with language and imagination. I'm not saying you're wrong, because you're entitled to feel the way you do, but maybe sometimes our opinions are not a matter of being right. I have on hand a huge stack of books that all fit our accepted notions of "canon," I have obscure books that fell through the cracks that have some interest to me, and I have so-called "guilty pleasures," which are really more concisely defined as genre fiction or more broadly accessible fiction. You won't see me complaining or feeling down about this, because it means I have an outlet for those times I'd like to sit down and read and NOT feel "aha" moments or have to re-read a page a million times to make sure I understand its contents and have taken sufficient notes, or to cry and cry because of how hard-hitting and universal it all is. Sometimes that's exhausting! So I read the things so reviled by this board, because it's like television without the limited aspects of the visual medium. It's entertainment. To me the same reason I watch "empty-calorie" television shows is the same reason I read these things. They're palate cleansers, and oftentimes, so much can be learned from them if you treat them like they have real content. Because they do. No amount of imagination can conjure a world so real to us, without being based at least in part on something universal, something "literary."

I dunno, just give it a chance. No one's forcing you.
>>
File: Get in, property.jpg (47 KB, 720x428) Image search: [Google]
Get in, property.jpg
47 KB, 720x428
>>8122200

>but maybe sometimes our opinions are not a matter of being right

Blue-pilled as fuck.

Triggered as fuck.

>“The art of not reading is a very important one. It consists in not taking an interest in whatever may be engaging the attention of the general public at any particular time. When some political or ecclesiastical pamphlet, or novel, or poem is making a great commotion, you should remember that he who writes for fools always finds a large public. A precondition for reading good books is not reading bad ones: for life is short.” - Schopenhauer

Apply this to every form of entertainment.
>>
>>8122130
Yeah but being a majority in a minority is different. Being the two out of a group of three isn't the same as what old mate was saying about pop music and the hunger games and shit.
Contradictory to my favourite quote I did read the books and will read the next. I also love the show. But like you said I think we all contradict ourselves a lot in many things in life, go against principles etc. I just felt like saying something was all. Other lad: yeah I didn't know too much about the quote just Mark twain your probably right. Sorry guys
>>
>>8122200
Could you mention one of these hard hitting cry moment books I honestly want experience this. Nose trip dubs by the way.
>>
>>8120277
Look at this guy, the "books are always better than the films because books are books and films are films and I call myself a reader and I scoff when I hear people talking about movies in public like 'filthy casuals' and go home and my parents call me down to watch a movie with them but I don't like movies because read books only" guy.
>>
>>8122220
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter

Infinite Jest (I don't think anyone can really read Hal's perspective and not feel emotional in some way)

The Power of Myth

How to Enjoy Writing (okay so I didn't cry but Asimov is definitely an "aha" type of writer that makes writing much, much more enjoyable, so I have to give it up)

If on a winter's night a traveler

Ficciones

Great Expectations

Dubliners

Narcissus and Goldmund (I think this would be better if I knew German, though)

At a loss for others atm but I'm sure there's plenty
>>
>>8122207
Best of luck to you, but this is where our argument has left the rails. What I like to call a bit of the old irreconciliable differences.
>>
>>8122224
All that based on one word, I'm impressed at your unpacking skills.
>>
>>8122226
Cheers bud well I've got great expectations so I'll move that to next on my to do list. Not being a dick bit is this infinite jest even any good half you guys give it shit but you always talk about it. I read the wiki is it better than it sounds?
>>
>>8122240
It's a book with a bad history, honestly, because of the way it's been received. For one, most people mock it as a gimmicky tome they'll never read. Which isn't even unfair. It is gimmicky and it is a fucking tome. However, you'll find nothing like it and it's quite a moment in literary history. Read it if you want with as little board bias as possible and it may just be for you. I for one absolutely love how he explores his characters on a very deep basis. Maybe some of the emotions felt and the experiences had are not exactly representative of anything universal, and maybe it fails for that reason. But it's very keenly emotional, very personal, and very warped in a way that makes it worth reading in my opinion.
>>
>>8122233

Keep being a pleb, man.

I believe in you.
>>
>>8122249
Well thanks. Hope to see you around the boards it was nice having my first normal conversation with someone on here. Cya
>>
>>8122240
I had no expectations when I started it. I was confused as fuck during the first few chapters and had to read the wiki to figure out it was set in the future. But I did get really into it about 50 or so pages in, and I absolutely fell in love with it by about 200 pages.

By the end (you might want to get some external reading done [but not much, and you don't want others telling you what you thought of the book/what you got out of it]), you'll surely feel rewarded.

Just figuring out the book's real intentions and keeping it obvious yet hiding it for a much more rewarding end taught me a lot about novel writing, while I mostly just know how to write short fiction. For me it was a stepping stone.
>>
>>8120294
>>8120294
>>8120356

Ok, but if GRRM is no good then who is? Name a better fantasy writer that is currently active. The only real match that comes to my mind is Kentaro Miura and he's writing a manga series, not novels.
>>
>>8122210
>Yeah but being a majority in a minority is different

What a logically preposterous statement

go back to tumblr sjw
>>
>>8120294
You just hate him because he's popular you faggot
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.