[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stirner
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: 1462400047513.jpg (157 KB, 992x880) Image search: [Google]
1462400047513.jpg
157 KB, 992x880
>ctrl+f
>no Stirner thread
But seriously though, while we don't have to talk about how he was right about everything, as an anon who read his Ego in German, I would like to talk different Stirner editions/translations.
What's the go-to English translation/edition? Does everyone shy away from capturing the allusion to Goethe in the introductory 'Ich hab' Mein Sach' auf Nichts gestellt'? Can you even be allowed to post Stirner without German or a sufficiently annotated version?

As for the German edition, I bought the Reclam pretty much without notes to the text and I realise that the Nachwort is a bit dated, it might not be the best.
>>
Dude I'm only here for le dank sp00ks maymays
>>
>>8118396
As much as I hate Stirner threads like this are a missing pleasure.
>>
>>8118396
I wish I were never born.
>>
File: 1462422365149.png (273 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
1462422365149.png
273 KB, 450x450
>>8118396
And the poem in question is Goethe's 'Vanitas! Vanitatum Vanitas!' (1806/1810 Weimar), it's about a normalfag consecutively trying to fill his life with gold and property, women, travelling, and war. He finds them all lacking and decides on nothing at all, the point lies probably maybe firstly in its playful, tavern-like tone like when he loses a leg in the war in the sixth stanza (and the leg might be his penis, which then might be his motivation in giving up), and the final stanza directs the attention towards suicide: 'Zu Ende geht nun Sang und Schmaus' (~'Soon at end is song and feast').
>>
File: The ego and its own.jpg (77 KB, 778x960) Image search: [Google]
The ego and its own.jpg
77 KB, 778x960
I thought there only was one translation of his book in english?
>>
File: 1455571835980.jpg (60 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1455571835980.jpg
60 KB, 500x500
>>8118396
>while we don't have to talk about how he was right about everything
>>
>>8118504
i spit out my peanut butter crunch when i saw this pic. top lel.
>>
>>8118396
>Can you even be allowed to post Stirner without German or a sufficiently annotated version?

Without the German version: yes you can. Without a proper understanding of Fichte, however, you cannot. This does not seem to be recognized.
>>
>>8118396
reclam is fine, Alrich Meyer's Nachwort is a fucking atrocity and all English editions use more or less the same text I think. Wolfi Landstreicher was going to retranslate it (the other version is Byington) but I'm not sure whether he did it. He did translate Stirner's Critics which is super important because it clears up 98 % of misreadings (you can google it).
>>
>>8118807
>Without a proper understanding of Fichte, however, you cannot.
That's bullshit ;^)
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.