[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you do when you encounter some unfamiliar word/phrase/line
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: ask.jpg (15 KB, 232x300) Image search: [Google]
ask.jpg
15 KB, 232x300
What do you do when you encounter some unfamiliar word/phrase/line that you don't understand?

(A) Break the flow and look it up
(B) Try getting meaning from context
(C) Skip and continue
(D) ?
>>
>>8118283
>reading for flow
>>
>>8118283
B then A
Keep reading to the end of paragraph trying to get meaning from context, then look it up. If I was wrong I'll read the paragraph again.
>>
>>8118331

this

Understanding of the text is more important than speed.
>>
>>8118329
I got a funky-funky style with a funky swag
I bought the funky-funky Nikes, got the hat to match
I bought the funky-funky Nikes, got the hat to match
And when I kill 'em with the flow, ain't no comin' back
And when I kill 'em with the flow, ain't no comin' back, back, back
>>
>>8118331
>>8118344

I might just buy a Kindle because of this shit.
>>
>>8118375
seconded for the e-reader, dissed for the Amazon-brand part.
not trying to shill but if I did I would totally suggest Kobo
>>
File: 1395248645689.jpg (141 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1395248645689.jpg
141 KB, 1024x768
>>8118388
I'm really afraid of buying a Kobo. Even though, they are actually available in my country whereas the Kindle isn't. I have to import it from the American Amazon.

I'm afraid of 2 things in the Kobo:
>The available library
>The screen quality and display, after seeing it compared to the paper-white.

What do you think?
>>
>>8118411
>The available library
?
I have a paper-white myself, and the Kobo generally handles different formats better, generally speaking Kindles only do well with .mobi's, which granted can be easily converted in Calibre, but still.
I think also that the screen quality and display are roughly comparable, other than the interface, I really do not see anything that differs greatly from eachother.
>>
>>8118433
My Kindle reading experience has been vastly improved by setting Calibre to converting to azw3, not mobi.
Now foot-notes etc. pop up in their own proper window, with the conversion to mobi it was a mess.
>>
>>8118433
I thought the libraries available were exclusive formats.

For example. I thought Amazon had exclusive e-books that only the Kindle could read.
>>
>>8118375
Exact same thoughts.
>>
>>8118440
Ah, thanks for the heads up, haven't really tried anything else than the mobi format.
>>8118449
I'm not that knowledgeable on different formats and all that, but I know that the kobo is able to read epubs as well as pdfs (faster than paper-white, I believe). This is handy, because you get your ebooks in epub format more often than in mobi format, or like the other anon mentioned, the azw3 format.
>>
>>8118449
you just pirate the books anyway.
>>
>>8118476
You use pirate-bay? what about DRM?
>>
>>8118754
some people can break drm.
bookzz and libgen
>>
can you put Amazon-bought Kindle e-books into a Kobo though?
>>
>>8118873
I think you can. I'd like to know this too.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.