[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Screwed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 10
File: 18th Century English Lit.png (210 KB, 1440x860) Image search: [Google]
18th Century English Lit.png
210 KB, 1440x860
Help me with my term paper
>>
It's terribly redundant and doesn't name a single work or author.
>>
>>8117588 i don't want to make ya feel bad, but continue writing
>>
>>8117588
>at the time
>>
How screwed are you? When is this due? What is this for? A high school English class, a certain university course?

If you want serious help, we need to know these things.
>>
>>8117613
this.

needs some heavy revision.
>>
>18th century American literature was influential because of its effect in gaining independence in the Revolutionary War
story checks out
>>
>>8117588
First things first, stop saying things like "you wouldn't believe it." This is an academic paper, and it should be formal in tone.
>>
>>8117588
>"As I said earlier, "
>written document
pick one

(in my opinion)
>>
>>8117588
Just submit as is desu
>>
>>8117625
hey, don't crush his spiritual well being with your "rules" and your "etiquette". he's expressing himself and you don't need to be a dick about it.
>>
>>8117588
What is this for?
>>
>>8117629
hey, fuck you
>>
>>8117629
He's expressing himself through a heavily rule-conscious academic medium.

If he wants to do well, he needs to swallow these things. Once he makes a name for himself, then he can 'express himself' with his own rules.
>>
>>8117629
>Stop shitting on anonymous!
A blind man calling another blind man ugly.
>>
>>8117635
Formality is racist
>>
>>8117588
I'm not trying to be mean, but this is the worst academic paper I've ever read (and I used to help hoes in a dance program with their essays)
>>
>>8117633
>>8117637
you guys are just part of the problem, this work of art that anonymous has shared with us is just going to be crushed under your wasteland of beadledom. just give the guy some suggestions without ruining his creative spirit. he didn't ask to be beaten like a rug.
>>
>>8117643
Ad hominems don't matter as anonymous. Insults shouldn't disparage anyone here. If they do please fuck off to >>>/tumblr/ or some normie site and never return.
>>
>>8117635
see, this is what i'm talking about, there's no opportunity for wiggle room in this nonsensical rigidity you yourself have fallen victim to as a result of your obviously uncultured upbringing. maybe you don't want to get better, be more worldly, just stay in your comfortable box, but anon here wants to learn, to flourish, and some of us wish to cultivate his creativity and wonder and build in him the mastery of his own spiritual and mental domain. your tedium isn't wanted here.
>>
>>8117638
I'm not saying it is or it isn't, I'm saying that if his intention is to do well on this paper (which, based on the scant information he provided above seems to be the case, although I'm open to being contradicted) he needs to play within the bounds of basic academic writing standards.
It stings sometimes, I know, but isn't the point here to see him do well on his term paper?
>>
>>8117643
>work of art
sick b8
>>
>>8117648
It's not a question of rules, it's that whichever way you look at this essay it's badly written
You can break the rules without spewing shit all over your paper
>>
>>8117649
academic standards, as you and i both know, (giving you the benefit of the doubt) are just limitations, and will not serve to further him in any career that isn't prejudiced in some way. I think you really need to sit down and think about your comments one of these days and realize that what you think and feel can hurt others, and that it's not right to be so offensive, when demanding this regiment, before understanding the complicated nature of what is presented to you. in this instance, this academic paper could be a stalwart example of what his professor or tutor demanded, and he simply needs a bit of grammatical editing, but no, you assume instantly that there are shortcomings in regards to content and format. One of these days these assumptions are going to really bite you in an uncomfortable place, and though you'll be the victim, you will have victimized so many others that they will be unlikely to try to help you.
>>
>>8117654
It's time to stop shitposting.
>>
>>8117657
you're so wrapped up in negativity that all you ever see is the darkness within yourself.
>>
>>8117654
Okay, everyone realizes you're just a troll who has no intention of actually helping the OP.

I'm not invalidating your concerns, but for all your talk you haven't exactly helped him with any grammatical editing, either. You're just criticizing the people who are actually trying to help.
>>
>>8117648
>thread titled "screwed"
>OP comes to the literature board as a last resort for advice on his term paper
>you being an idealistic twat think he wants to "learn" and "flourish" when in reality he's just frantically trying to throw together a paper for a grade
>>
>>8117660
oh come on, this whole damn thread is a troll, did you even read that "paper"?
>>
>>8117588
>at the time would be know where neat the same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpPsAojqcKo
>>
File: 1433131041026.gif (3 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
1433131041026.gif
3 MB, 320x180
>>8117588
I worked as a tutor at my university's writing center when I was a student. Other students would bring me their written assignments and I'd go over their work with them, basically just help them out with whatever they were struggling with. So often I'd read a kid's essay and I'd just want to swipe the computer monitor off the table, tell him that his work is absolutely devoid of value or substance, that I'm not going to cross his t's for him when he can't even put a single coherent thought to paper, much less an intelligent one, that I feel a certain sadness or anger imagining what it would be like to actually be his teacher and have to waste my time reading his shit for an entire semester and then imagining the cumulative time that he has wasted of others' lives over the course of his academic career, tell him that he needs to look hard at how if his waste of my life for this hour can be so unbearable, the constant enduring waste that makes up the entirety of his own life should be that much more devastatingly unbearable, so much so that I can barely fathom how he's had the strength to refrain from just killing himself except that, no, wait, it's actually quite clear that it isn't strength at all that keeps you from stepping off the ledge or pulling the trigger; it's simply that you are too fucking stupid to even realize that the entire world would be better off if you did.

Anyway, that's what I thought of when I read your essay. You ought to start by narrowing your thesis.
>>
>>8117724
That "you" I lapsed into was like a general "you." I certainly don't mean to imply you should kill yourself, OP. I think that work study gig did more of a number on me than I thought. Srs about narrowing your thesis though.
>>
> many things were happening at the time
> So important x100
Made me chuckle, but the thing killing me right now is how you never gave a single proof about how influencal it really was.
>>
>>8117588
>tfw this is a final draft
>>
File: Capture.png (111 KB, 683x738) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
111 KB, 683x738
help me write better
>>
>>8118016
>the way you phrased that rhetorical question

the rest is good.
>>
File: 1464361574969.jpg (37 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1464361574969.jpg
37 KB, 720x720
>>8117588
>Back in 18th century, many things happened at the time
>>
>>8118035
yeah you're right, the start of last paragraph was pretty cringey too.
what do you think about being flexible with time being critical to narrative though? I can't help but notice its in every biography I've read so far, they always go out of order or are limited omniscient (the narrator informs the reader of the future) or do some other thing that breaks the normal flow of a story. Seems like everyone thinks its important to not have a normal linear narrative, I was just wondering why that is.
>>
>>8117588
>using word

well there's your problem

also you write like you're in middle school
>>
>>8117588

>Not mentioning Thomas Paine even once
>>
>>8117588
You are beyond help, anon.
>>
>>8117588
>Due to what the British were doing to the Americans at the time, the Americans wanted freedom.
Very insightful. Also
>Arial
Patricians exclusively write in 12 pt Times New Roman--no exceptions.
>>
File: 18th Century English Lit part 2.png (158 KB, 1440x860) Image search: [Google]
18th Century English Lit part 2.png
158 KB, 1440x860
I wrote a bit more!
>>
>>8117588
>>8119388
two posts ending in double-8s... 'poor' writing... 'oblivious' op...
the signs are all here.
>>
File: 1463646896977.jpg (13 KB, 318x345) Image search: [Google]
1463646896977.jpg
13 KB, 318x345
>>8119388
>if you think about it, literature is anything written

It's time to stop posting.
>>
>[...], many things were happening at the time.
shiggy
>>
B8 tred. Not touch.
>>
>>8118016
Be less gay FAG LOSER!!!!!!!!
>>
>>8117588
>>8119388
The way that you wrote multiple pages but still managed to deftly avoid assembling any kind of thought is honestly a bit impressive. If you were able to do this consistently and actually be aware of what you're doing, you could write political campaign speeches for a living.
>>
>>8117588
You didn't even look at a wikipedia article for this shit. You haven't named a single work, a single author, a single movement, or a single fact about anything that wasn't both meaninglessly vague and somewhere between arguable and wrong.
Even if someone on /lit/ tried to give you advice, you would copy a sentence word-for-word into your paper without the proper context and the departure from babbling to a real thought and back again would be so jarring the grader would know you plagiarized it.
Unless you're in a high school freshman english class for kids with learning disabilities, you will fail this paper and deserve it.
>>
>>8119388
>so that was really, really important

This manner of writing is fucking 8th grade.
>>
>>8117724
>>8117731

underrated
>>
>>8118016

2nd paragraph--"he also quotes Kermode saying that time is far **too** constraining.

2nd paragraph concluding sentences are weak. "This idea is interesting..." come up with a better adjective. Probably something that previews the argument you're going to make further down.

Agreed with the other poster about how you set the hypothetical up. Would be stronger if you summarized your argument in 2nd paragraph, then you could lead in with "For example, imagine a hypothetical situation in which..." or something like that.
>>
>>8117588
>literal homework help request
>clearly is a high schooler
>>
Professional college essay writer here.

Unless your professor actually cares about helping his students become better writers (lol), you'll probably pass if you just throw in some random citations to some relevant-seeming academic papers.

Even if he did care, he's not going to have the time to read through the actual paper in question to determine that the citation is legit.
>>
>>8119388
ebin b8 m8
>>
/lit/ can't be this easy to bait

check this
>>
File: image_6.jpg (163 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
image_6.jpg
163 KB, 800x800
You're fucked. Just end it when you fail the class
>>
>>8119388
>If you think about it
>really, really important
>super important
>was really big
>that repetition

Didn't you have to take a Writing 101 class when you got to school? What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>8119906
I was going to call it John Greenesque but this pretty much covers it. OP's trolling though.
>>
File: 1409510878539.jpg (84 KB, 735x557) Image search: [Google]
1409510878539.jpg
84 KB, 735x557
>at the time
>at the time
>at the time
Wew.
You can destroy half of this paper and get the same content, this applies to both length and information.

>Back in 18th century America, many things were happening at the time.

Why are you seperating this sentence with a comma? You don't need one here unless you were going to add a brief word or comment .

>In 18th century America, a subject I'm an expert in, many things were happening at the time.

You don't have to remind us when things were happening shortly after giving the date, it sounds passive and turns your paper to limp shlock on THE VERY FIRST SENTENCE.

better sentence:
>Many things were happening in 18th century America.
>>
>every single topic sentence starts with '18th century america'
>>
File: IMG_0144.jpg (149 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0144.jpg
149 KB, 640x1136
is this actually how "students" in American "Universities" write?
>>
>>8117588
You don't even have a thesis.

>>8117724
He doesn't even have a thesis.
>>
>>8117588
>YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE IT!
>>
>>8117588
I know this is trolling, but this is still physically upsetting to read
>>
>>8121334
Of course he does. 18th century American literature was important to 18th century America at the time because important things were happening in 18th century America at the time and they were affected by 18th century American literature at the time.
>>
File: Bait.jpg (120 KB, 500x491) Image search: [Google]
Bait.jpg
120 KB, 500x491
>>
>>8117588
It's important... to whom?

Are you making the case for why we shouldn't just burn it all?
>>
>>8117588
God bless you, this is incredible.
>>
>>8117629
Throughout my life I have always felt out of place. But after reading OP's paper I finally know how I can fit in this world. I sexual identify as that exact term paper and will do everything within the power of current medical technology to turn into that term paper.
>>
/lit/ confirmed for easiest board to bait

god damn you guys are dumb
>>
>18th century
>18th century
>18th century
>18th century
>18th century

I hope you're in the like the 10th grade dude
>>
>>8121942
OP here. You put an m at the end of who by accident.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.