[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Serious question: How do you guys handle it personally when you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3
File: among plebs.jpg (8 KB, 696x157) Image search: [Google]
among plebs.jpg
8 KB, 696x157
Serious question:
How do you guys handle it personally when you receive harsh artistic/aesthetic criticism of your work? I want to put aside any debate about whether a particular work is good or not good. I'm more interested in what you do when you've created something which has strong resonance and is aesthetically poignant for you and someone who's opinion you respect trashes it?
How do we know if it is actually good or not? Is it good enough for it to just satisfy ourselves? If so what's the point in publishing?
I'm keen to just have a discussion about this. Has this happened to you before?
>>
Also before anyone mentions it: yes, suicide is an option
>>
File: farts.jpg (130 KB, 490x350) Image search: [Google]
farts.jpg
130 KB, 490x350
>>8117559
>>
bamp
>>
>>8117559
>>8117559

there's usually a bit of truth in everything. if you actually take a deep breath and take an objective look at these criticisms, you may find ways to improve your writing by not being stubborn.

you may even find ways to improve that the person who critiques your work may not have even intended.

failing that you are a speck among the millions living who will soon die and be forgotten, so better not to waste your time obsessing about other people's opinions, whoever they are.
>>
File: 1464748992357.jpg (163 KB, 600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1464748992357.jpg
163 KB, 600x1200
>>8117559
>How do you guys handle it personally when you receive harsh artistic/aesthetic criticism of your work?
Unequivocal and uncompromising denial/rejection of the offending opinion and extremely harsh retaliation, all while putting up a front of caricatured humility.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.