[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Well, lads?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 17
File: litresults.png (18 KB, 633x497) Image search: [Google]
litresults.png
18 KB, 633x497
Well, lads?
>>
>>8116980
You could fit four in the back of her! *buzzer*
>>
>>8116980
Literally nothing unexpected has ever happened to me as a result of being here.
>>
>>8116980
my dick grew about 6 inches
>>
>>8116980
I used to come here wanting to talk about books I was reading. I soon realized that was pointless.
>>
>>8116980
i have never seen anyone mention night watch series.
>>
>>8117045
What? The shitty russian YA? Why would anyone mention it?
>>
>>8116980
I became a much more hateful person after learning that John Green exists from posters here.
>>
>>8116980
I stopped reading books.
>>
I purchased the bibliography of John Green so that I could read them and inflict disdain in myself.
>>
>>8116980
Realizing most people here don't even read books
>>
I started reading Gene Wolfe, when I wouldn't have heard of him before. So thanks, /lit/, I mean it.
>>
i didn't think i'd like infinite jest as much as i did.
>>
I talked to guy who had been to the same small town bookstore as me.
>>
I read the greeks.
>>
>>8116980
I've begun to see the whole population as fitting into one of three categories:

1) Genuine (least common)
2) Pretentious pseud (more common)
3) Incorrigible shitposter (most common)
>>
>>8117220
I wish you were right, since shitposters at least have the redeeming quality of being entertaining and not actually deplorable people, but I feel like pseuds are really more common.
>>
>>8117220
2 is more common than 3

also some people are genuine but you actually wish they'd be pseuds because the naked truth is so depressing and makes you lose hope in humanity
>>
>>8116980
I have developed an intense loathing for an author I've never read and have no interest in reading, solely because of his obnoxious fans.

DFW btw
>>
>>8117535
Don't let the retards and memesters here turn you off of DFW, or any other author for that matter. He's got some great essays, definitely worth checking out if you haven't yet.
>>
I used to think engaging in literature was a good use of my time. But I'm 23 and all I do is read shitty books alone in my bedroom on my weekends. What I'd give to have some real. visceral, life experiences over this mundanity. I feel like I'm absolutely worthless.
>>
File: 1452020356147.jpg (37 KB, 374x421) Image search: [Google]
1452020356147.jpg
37 KB, 374x421
>>8116980
I became a pseudo-intellectual regressive pansy in order to try and fit in with the rest of the board
>>
>>8117535
Don't fall for the meme posters, I started hating him without having read anything he's ever written, but now I've realised the man is brilliant.
>>
>>8117719
I've done the same, but I've done it in the order of /v/ -> /tv/ -> /lit/. Always searching for that next level of pseudo-intellectualism. Life was better when I was a pleb.
>>
>>8116980
I like this board. Mind you, I'm 31 so kind old fag. However, it's just nice to be around people who read. Most adults, outside of academia, simply do not read. So it's shit lonely, boring, and bad socially. In terms of intellectually stimulating convo, this place is about as good as you'll find senpai.
>>
>>8117751
Lol i was not aware that f a m becomes senpai.
>>
>>8117735
just so you know someone calling other people plebs is the easiest way to spot a pseudointellectual

perhaps you already knew that though
>>
>>8117752
This new to me as well, senpai
>>
>>8117762
Yeap, try inputting f a m without the spaces and you get senpai
>>
File: 1453026390165.jpg (94 KB, 500x657) Image search: [Google]
1453026390165.jpg
94 KB, 500x657
I got curious in the work of an largely unknown 150 year old dead German philosopher, enjoyed the meme, borrowed the book from a library, found it hilarous and funny, found it clever, found out I lack the historical background, read 200 pages into it and got bored of the attack of potential threatening developements 150 years ago, got confused, decided the ideas a written are unpractical and not realizable, put the book aside for se months, got a glimpse of the history surroundong it, came back to it, bought a physical copy of the book, found it annoying to see people here take bits from it they read as a justification for hedonism when the book turns out to be largly as a discussion and comment on the authors time when start openly discussing flaws of theology and state system it influenced and flaws of others discussions about it, found the point about spooks is almost se ondary to the actual point about property (although they go together), got a flash of insight, sort of shaked my worldview, started to doubt I could fully understand the book as written given the context can't be reproduced, still think it's not practical as preseted, still developing my personal guidelines and am strongly influenced by the books notions.

Didn't expect that.
I'm a bit annoyed by the use of it's content on /lit/ now
>>
>>8117773
why don't you think so? I thought the correlation was so obvious I haven't even challenged it

I don't think I've ever seen an actually insightful post that has calls people plebs before

>>8117778
can you stop posting this in every thread it isn't funny
>>
>>8116980
I am Asian. I just wanted an alright board about english books. r/Books and sites similar to that were too retarded for the purpose, so I came here 3 years ago. Not everything is nice here but it's the best I could find. At least I got a lot of good recommendations, like Joyce and Chekhov.

I still don't want to read Gravity Rainbow though, the book looks even more challenging than Ulysses. Doesn't want to read a encyclopedia book like IJ either.
>>
I read a post that wasn't cancer.
>>
>>8117781
Post what? The cat image? Or did the text strike you as insincere in any way?
>>
Definitely an overfetishization of the classics and subsequent underappreciation of contemporary lit.
>>
>>8117816
>underappreciation of contemporary lit
Is it even possible?
>>
>>8117811
https://warosu.org/lit/image/WG1GAcLMXBwbgiZodGIEGg
>>
>>8117822
I don't read contemporary literature. Everything is trash unless it can still be found after at least two decades.
>>
File: image.png (206 KB, 310x293) Image search: [Google]
image.png
206 KB, 310x293
>>8116980
I have twenty something faces of dfw as reactions pics saved and ready.
I'm a bit happier, generally.
>>
>>8117826
That wasn't in two different threads - I corrected the text
>>
>>8117771
Testing, senpai.
>>
>>8117856
and all from the same interview, such a forced meme
>>
>>8116980
I have a gigantic backlog of books now because every time I see a title on here that looks interesting I look it up and usually add it to my list
>>
File: image.jpg (13 KB, 250x172) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13 KB, 250x172
>>8117908
Not true though
>>
File: c9u6iUU.png (136 KB, 425x1000) Image search: [Google]
c9u6iUU.png
136 KB, 425x1000
I can shitpost about spooks and property all day.
>>
File: Dogra_Magra.jpg (28 KB, 190x300) Image search: [Google]
Dogra_Magra.jpg
28 KB, 190x300
>>8116980
I've got a nice folder filled with book covers that I've used for various threads on /lit/ over the years. About 1,400 of them.
>>
I really fucking hate adverbs. No good writer uses them unironically and now neither do I. Thanks, /lit/.
>>
>>8117953
I get it. I get jokes.
>>
>>8116980
Acing my high school english course
:^)
>>
drinking more
>>
My shitposting on other boards has improved drastically since now I can fuck up the serious discussions
>>
No:
>"muh superior taste"
>constant shit post

I'm actually surprised I can have a conversation with other anons without railing the thread.
>>
>>8117114
Same.
>>
I realized that my grammar is horrendous and that I need to go back to english class again.
>>
my shitposting ability has been honed to a wicked edge

stopped reading books tho
>>
Say what you want about the elitism/shitposting here, but I find that the people on /lit/ are genuinely more intelligent than the people on the literature forums I used to follow. Since coming here I've felt more motivated to read and appreciate high quality books.
>>
File: john-green.png (3 MB, 2800x1622) Image search: [Google]
john-green.png
3 MB, 2800x1622
>>8116980
I hate a man I've never met.
>>
File: Spooky Rap.png (89 KB, 713x297) Image search: [Google]
Spooky Rap.png
89 KB, 713x297
On the up side, I read Schopenhauer and found the justification for my essentially pessimistic world view. Any sort of existential crisis I once had is now resolved.

On the down side, I also read Stirner and live for Stirnerposting.
>>
i read a few books i really loved
for example 2666 and the peregrine
>>
i found out patricia highsmith was a qt3.14, a dyke, and has nudes, and all that stands between me and my waifu is building a time machine to 1946
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Gas stations
>>
>>8116980
I hardly ever post. Most of the time i come here to sort through all the shit posting and find posts from careful people with careful opinions.

As a result of this board, I've had the most fun reading new books than ever; and i think i really have learned to think for myself and sort through my own biases. Mostly because a consensus is almost never reached on /lit/, and i'm forced to think for myself, which is something i never got from school or academic essays.

So thanks /lit/
>>
I understand who changed it subtly, and so I understand who to hate, more than I did when I posted prior.
>>
>>8116989
I understood that reference
>>
File: carauto.jpg (152 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
carauto.jpg
152 KB, 1000x667
>>8119525
How did a justification for pessimism resolve a crisis?
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 213x341) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 213x341
>>8116980
I realized the redpill was a lie all along. I am become SJW the destroyer of worlds.
>>
>>8116980

I am not afraid of being a gay zoophile anymore because the concept of purity, mental health, and degeneration are all spooks.
>>
>>8119622
not him, but it's probably his aphorisms on suffering.
>>
File: righteous fam.jpg (40 KB, 229x317) Image search: [Google]
righteous fam.jpg
40 KB, 229x317
>>8119622

Because I wanted to know if my pessimism was justified; the idea that it wasn't was playing on my mind, tormenting me.

Now I know it is.
>>
>>8119627
gay and zoophile's a spook too bro. the only reason fucking human animals is different to fucking any of the other animals is because humans think they're special and want special rules. spooked as fuck tbqph, my property.
>>
I've also learned that I still dislike people who still give a shit about this "Stirner" meme
>>
File: Fuckin' spooks, I tell ya.jpg (14 KB, 170x200) Image search: [Google]
Fuckin' spooks, I tell ya.jpg
14 KB, 170x200
>>8119647
>>
>>8119648
Those side burns are a fucking spook
>>
>>8117953
>bashes adverbs
>uses unironically
is this next level irony or are you dumb
>>
>>8119641

>what is consent

I guess being viewed a creep is a spook too.
>>
>>8116980
Surprisingly, I learned about a lot of good authors and literature.
>>
Property doesn't exist so Stirner is a lie he himself fell for.
>>
Came to lit hating genre fiction, thinking it was for plebs, but now like sci fi and fantasy
>>
>>8119657
>oppressing the autistic
>implying temple grandin does not understand cows
>implying because you cannot understand a language those who speak it are incapable of forming consent
>being both specist and racist while devaluing the inherent worth of those that speak non legal languages and denying them a sex life as a result
bby you don't want to play the sjw game with me i know exactly how creepy your shit is that you need to frame that as a consent not desire issue
>>
Read the Bible

Started reading a lot more philosophy

Increased my calibre library by over 1000 books

Increased my physical bookshelf by 75 percent

More motivated to read when on a literature themed board like this
>>
tricked everyone into thinking im cultured because I read famous literature
>>
i have found books i might have lived my life never hearing of
>>
>>8117535

Check out Consider the Lobster if you want something shorter to see if you'd like him. I think it's only 20 pages. Non-fiction.
>>
I was in a thrift shop place. And it didn't occur to me that I would get an odd look for my books anymore.

I don't know what the counter lady was thinking. But I didn't see her face change at my copy of middlesex upon my clothing.
>>
>>8119525
What did you read exactly?
>>
>>8117128
Same, book of the new sun is the first fantasy series/novel I've been able to get absorbed in since I was a child.
>>
>>8120766
Are you black?
>>
>>8117577
You tried reading more practical books?
>>
>>8116980
This board has some of the smarter trips I've read. That Faulkner tripfag makes sense even though he sucks Faulkner's cock often.
>>
>>8123203
the smartest people i've talked to here were not the trips
>>
>>8123212
I didn't say smartest. That guys doesn't say anything in philosophy threads. Just that he makes sense with his posts and he's not this entitled trip-Jesus that I see in the other boards.
>>
>>8123203
Trips here aren't too offensive. If you're talking about that Fury guy, he's pretty well-read but I only really see him posting in fiction threads.
>>
>>8122251
Yeah. How did you guess?
>>
>>8116980
I actually stopped meeming and started to read
>>
>>8123288
I wondered what kind of people would be frowned upon for buying books and the only ones who have such a stigma for reading are blacks living in "da hood"
>>
>>8119576
Gas stations, race car now
>>
>>8117719

this more-or-less
>>
i became obsessed with a drunk who posts pictures of flowers and knows more about poetry than i will ever and now he doesnt post anymore
>>
>>8123388
That's quite astute. I've assumed she was frowning at me because the book had the word sex in the title.
>>
>>8119657

>hello can I fuck you please
>yes you may

said no couple ever
>>
File: hahaha.jpg (1 MB, 4100x3020) Image search: [Google]
hahaha.jpg
1 MB, 4100x3020
>>8123412
>>
>>8123416
>feeding narcissists' egos

I liked le flower man too, but cmon, he wasn't all that special.
>>
File: 9k=.jpg (6 KB, 136x160) Image search: [Google]
9k=.jpg
6 KB, 136x160
>unironically think stirner made some good points and regularly quote him
>>
>>8119525
What did you read?
>>
>>8117577
Maybe try philosophical books?
>>
>>8117771
senpai
>>
>>8117220
I'm all three. It's just whatever if feel like desu familam. Had shitty day? Time to take it out on /lit/.
>>
File: 1427253959057.jpg (38 KB, 943x720) Image search: [Google]
1427253959057.jpg
38 KB, 943x720
>>8125526
>tfw op makes an incredibly heartfelt plea, concerning the board's worsening condition
>tfw when you reply with a one-word post
>"Nigger"
better than sex
>>
Your recommendations sucks, lovecraft? gaiman? i want a little of nancy drew with that
>>
My son killed himself.
Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.