[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does lit have a chart or list of African American literature?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
Does lit have a chart or list of African American literature?
>>
Oh, you mean Ooga Booga literature?
>>
Do you mean Basketball Literature?
>>
Just so everyone is aware, being racist does not make you look cool.

Check out Fred Moten and Nathaniel Mackey.
>>
>>8116475
Read Pimp by Iceberg Slim

Chuck everything else
>>
>>8116483
>>8116486
>>
>>8116496
Found the oversensitive, politically-correct Bernie voter. It's just banter, senpai.
>>
Ulysses.

Irishmen are basically negros
>>
>>8116483
>>8116486

>Doing it wrong

>>8116517

Doing it right
>>
>>8116496
I met Fred Moten, he was super chill
>>
File: GPGak8u.jpg (106 KB, 557x429) Image search: [Google]
GPGak8u.jpg
106 KB, 557x429
Things Fall Apart
>>
>>8116515
I'm not personally offended. I just think it's a weak display of character to act in such a way. There are clearly a lot of really young people here who act without thinking and themselves are impressionable. It's good to honestly think about and not merely develop a habit of banter.
>>
>>8116534
He seems like a very intelligent and easy to talk to guy.
>>
Invisible Man
Malcolm X Autobiography

Both must-reads, but especially Malcolm X's autobio
>>
Ishmael Reed, Wesley Brown, Paul Beatty, James Baldwin, Samuel Delany.

I barely see anyone talk about Baldwin here actually, though Delany's exclusion I sorta get, he's like god-tier scifi and decent tier literary.
>>
>>8116632
Baldwin is legit the best American essayist of the 20st century IMO. Anyone who's read him would have to put him in the top 5 at least.
>>
>>8116496
The ridiculous thing is that some post racist comments only because they think they scare ‘normies’ away from the board.
>>
>>8116632
I always forget that Delany is black lol.
>>
WE
>>
Adolph Reed has read some fantastic political essays.
>>
>>8116475
Frank Yerby?
>>
>>8116551
Nigger
>>
>>8116515
>Found the oversensitive, politically-correct Bernie voter. It's just banter, senpai.

>>>/int/
is for banter tbphf [1]

[1]= to be perfectly honest famme
>>
>>8116475
Is Frederick Douglass any good lads?

He's shilled in Ireland because he was friends with Daniel O'Connell
>>
>>8116764
Look at you. You're on 4chan. Time to get some thicker skin.
>>
>>8116786
>uses "it's 4chan" as an excuse to be a 5-year-old

To each his own, I suppose.
>>
>>8116475
Before this thread becomes even more drowned in memes than it already is, I would like to agree with OP that there ought to be a chart for Afro-American literature. In fact, I've thought of a bunch of different literatures that deserve a chart. Perhaps I'll make a thread dedicated to making new charts on of these days.
>>
>>8116797
You're calling me childish when you're the overly-sensitive one getting offended by harmless jokes you saw on the literature section of a Mongolian tie-knotting IRC chat that you voluntarily chose to visit while being fully aware of its infamous reputation and culture?
>>
>>8116809
>overly sensitive offended blah blah blah
Wew. I'm a different person than that one, lad.

Also, no matter what your behavior looks like, justifying it on the basis of
>b-but everybody does it! :^(
comes off as pretty childish, yes.
>>
>>8116786
>You're on 4chan.
ebin

>Time to get some thicker skin.
That's it brother, keep shattering the delicate sensibilities of suburban america. You're the next Charlie Hebdo I can tell.
>>
>>8116841
>>8116845
Why are you guys so mad about harmless banter? Serious question. You keep saying you're not mad and you're not offended but why even take exception with what was said if that's the case? You know where you are. You know the culture of this site. If you want legitimate, intellectual discussion about literature, go somewhere else, this is obviously not the place for you. If you don't like it, why stay?
>>
>>8116887

>What are you guys so mad about harmless banter?
Why are you so insistent on shitting up my feed with such well-thought out gems as "Nigger lmao" "niggers r dum" and being a generally negative, anti-productive drain on our collective existence?

Also, I don't understand why you keep justifying your behavior by saying, "dude it's a joke lol calm down." I'm well aware it's a joke. You think I give two shits about whether you're seriously a racist or not? Or these offended precious libcuck feelings you think I have? Christ. I'm railing on you because you insist on being a waste of space for the sake thereof.
>You know where you are. You know the culture of this site.
Basing your decision of how to be on the perceived status quo and what it takes to conform to "the culture of this site" is, as I've already said, childish as fuck. If you don't want to contribute, why stay?
>>
File: B14cOvgIgAASefy.jpg (67 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
B14cOvgIgAASefy.jpg
67 KB, 600x600
>>8116887
>You know where you are. You know the culture of this site.
Sure, which is why it's foolish to think you're offending anyone. You're not saying anything we haven't seen before. It's just littering, and litter attracts vermin.

>If you want legitimate, intellectual discussion about literature
I want light-hearted discussion of literature in an anonymous setting with a good sense of camaraderie (I'm being autistic in this post though in fairness). /lit/ is fairly good at that.

>If you don't like it, why stay?
I do like it though. Why don't you go to /int/? No shame in it, it used to be my main board.
>>
>>8116749
You sure told him senpai
>>
File: Nigralit.jpg (869 KB, 585x2300) Image search: [Google]
Nigralit.jpg
869 KB, 585x2300
>>8116772

I had to read his narrative at least twice for college. Cultural marxism I guess haha :( I thought it was interesting how the plantations were completely self sufficient, you could walk or ride all day and still be in one man's land, or one family's land, and they had all the workshops and resources to make everything they needed. It would just be really satisfying to own all that land and own your own village. Comfy. They also owned merchant ships, which was how Douglass escaped iirc. I didn't really enjoy the political sections of it.

>>8116804

There is one though. It's called "nigralit" in the sticky, kek!

>>8116936
>>8116946

>getting mad about shitposting

Come on, the guy's right. People say all sorts of offensive things here, why get mad about this in particular?
>>
>>8117257
>People say all sorts of offensive things here,
It's not that it's offensive, it's just so predictable.

> why get mad about this in particular?
I'm tired as fuck desu, I should have been in bed hours ago
>>
Alice Walker, Toni Morrison, and Zora Neale Hurston
>>
>>8116542
its good if you're black or in 4th grade
>>
>>8117296

>So, 4th grade or dropped out at 4th grade?
>>
>>8117257
>Come on, the guy's right. People say all sorts of offensive things here, why get mad about this in particular?

Again, it's not like it got under my skin because oh no, he said the word "nigger," my feelings! I'm just tired of the insincere shitposting, and even more so the notion that just because it's insincere, it's not still shit.

I can understand you not getting annoyed about it, but please don't defend it as well. Hold yourself and this board to a higher standard. Let idiots know they're idiots. I don't intend to go on a paragraph-long rant at every shitposter here, but this one just caught me in a particularly bad mood.

Anyway. Back to our regularly scheduled programming.
>>
>>8117296

>hurr this literature is beneath me because it's highschool assigned reading!

I'm sure you have that PhD in literature and multiple Pulitzer prize awards to back up that elitism, right?
>>
>>8116841
Kill yourself.
>>
>>8116551
What are you talking about faggot? Do you not live in the real world? If you can't keep up with the banter you'll never survive when others test you. Better grow a pair you fucking white nerd.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.